What is ABBA's Greatest Studio Album?

AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think it's "The Visitors". Such a stunning album. No track on
that record is a filler. What do you think?

What is ABBA's Greatest Studio Album? 55 votes

Ring Ring
0%
Waterloo
5%
stevejk75Toriamathelasticlove 3 votes
Abba
3%
[Deleted User]Lamaestra 2 votes
Arrival
12%
crazychris12Rodney McKay[Deleted User]Hound of Love[Deleted User][Deleted User]Dex_Bracewell 7 votes
The Album
18%
stvn758mushymanrobMetal MickeyspaceygalItsNickTeddybleads[Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]smokincheese 10 votes
Voulez-Vous
16%
HeavenlyVoodooChic[Deleted User]pauledin99lewiep93sward669gpkMissAyrshireRaptureRider 9 votes
Super Trouper
14%
[Deleted User]Gambit_is_acevauxhall1964cnbcwatchertigraboisej17benjiman_LFCtheshadow 8 votes
The Visitors
29%
StrakerchenksAlbacomJayneWajmanmaninthequeueplayer1peter_sharp1ukSparklySwedemr muggles[Deleted User][Deleted User]MrMarpleWooly ShamblerGrabid Rannies[Deleted User] 16 votes

Comments

• gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voulez-Vous
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I think it's "The Visitors". Such a stunning album. No track on
    that record is a filler. What do you think?

i like `the visitors` album, but `two for the price of one` seems completely out of place and is a bit of a filler track for me. i prefer `voulez-vous` as an album, but even that has `the king has lost his crown`, which for me is another filler. the filler free albums for me are `the album` and `arrival`.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arrival
    Arrival.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Super Trouper
    Only studio album I have of theirs is Super Trouper so I voted for that one.
  • RaptureRiderRaptureRider Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voulez-Vous
    Voulez-Vous
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voulez-Vous
    Voulez Vous.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Visitors
    It's interesting that Voulez-Vous and The Visitors are level pegging! They are two totally different albums yet are both superbly crafted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arrival
    Arrival for me. The Visitors is OK, but TFTPOO brings it down and is a mood kill.

Voulez Vous is great but I Have A Dream and Chiquitita ruins the flow of it completely. Place Summer Night City and Just A Notion in its place and it would have been the perfect album.
  • ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arrival. Abba were really beginning to mature and they were the happiest as couples. You can feel their joy in the songs.
  • LamaestraLamaestra Posts: 1,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abba
    I love all of their albums but I voted for their eponymous 1975 album as it is really beautiful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    Voulez-Vous
    it's a tough choice between Voulez Vous or The Visitors but think I'm gonna go with Voulez Vous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Album
    Toughie.

Voulez Vous because every track could have been a single (indeed there were 5 massive singles from it). It's the album I'd recommend to a new fan because it's pure hook after hook after hook.

Arrival is up there too. Again almost every song could have been a smah hit single.

The Visitors was their most mature, grown up record.

But I chose ABBA - The Album in the end as I bought it on taped cassette when it first came out and I have a lot of sentimental attachment to it. :)
  • pauledin99pauledin99 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voulez-Vous
    Another vote for 'Voulez Vous'. With 'Abba' a close 2nd and 'Ring Ring' bottom of the pack.
  • MissAyrshireMissAyrshire Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voulez-Vous
    Voulez Vous gets my vote
  • theshadowtheshadow Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Super Trouper
    I consider myself a big ABBA fan but I'm shocked at the popularity of Voulez Vous. I've never been into that album at all. Surely Super Trouper is their masterpiece?? I assumed it would be at the top of the poll when I clicked into the link.
  • Gambit_is_aceGambit_is_ace Posts: 9,458
    Forum Member
    Super Trouper
    Super trouper
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't own any ABBA albums apart from a greatest hits, I tend to like their darker/more sad songs like Knowing Me, Knowing You, which album should I buy, anyone who has more than one? (are they fairly pricey?)
  • Gambit_is_aceGambit_is_ace Posts: 9,458
    Forum Member
    Super Trouper
    I don't own any ABBA albums apart from a greatest hits, I tend to like their darker/more sad songs like Knowing Me, Knowing You, which album should I buy, anyone who has more than one? (are they fairly pricey?)

I have all of their studio albums now after years of just having gold. I have to say gold doesn't do their work justice. There are so many gems that I didn't hear. If you like darker stuff then The Visitors would be the way to go. Look out for the deluxe edition as that contains more than just the standard 9 song release.
  • player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Visitors
    another vote for The Visitors, stunning album and no weak tracks .

Stand outs - the title track, head over heals, when all is said and done, one of us and slipping through my fingers

I always though "the day before you came" was from this album but my memory deceives me
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arrival
    The Visitors
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Album
    the album

'the name of the game'
    'eagle'
    'move on'

utter brilliance, i love those tracks.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Visitors
    The Visitors for me. I love the extended edition for having Day Before You Came and Under Attack - they 'fit' the sound of the album very naturally - but even the nine-track original is masterful in my opinion.

Wasn't it the first album to use some kind of sound process or other? With the sound cranked up and when that second post-chorus synth refrain kicks in on The Visitors, it's really special.

I love ABBA in general, but I think for me The Visitors marks a definite progression from their initial Euro cheesypop to 'serious' pop and is the pinnacle of that creativity so far... it's so regrettable that the planned next album never materialised, having dabbled in the electropop/synth movement so successfully (which there had been indications of on Super Trouper with On And On and Me An I), I can only imagine what riches would have been to come when they refined and fully embraced it even more. Of course TDBYC, Under Attack, I Am The City et al still stand as a tantalising glimpse of that.

I'm very sorry to hear so much chagrin for Two For The Price Of One; to me it fits the 'tone' of the album very well - it's in keeping with the overall musical style, and lyrically it tells another of the album's many stories of wistful irony. In fact the only track I feel is slightly out of place on The Visitors is, ironically, the only successful single, One Of Us - whilst I love it, it does feel musically like it would have fitted Super Trouper more and stands out as being, well more 'normal' than the tracks it's surrounded by.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    Voulez-Vous
    The Visitors for me. I love the extended edition for having Day Before You Came and Under Attack - they 'fit' the sound of the album very naturally - but even the nine-track original is masterful in my opinion.

Wasn't it the first album to use some kind of sound process or other? With the sound cranked up and when that second post-chorus synth refrain kicks in on The Visitors, it's really special.

I love ABBA in general, but I think for me The Visitors marks a definite progression from their initial Euro cheesypop to 'serious' pop and is the pinnacle of that creativity so far... it's so regrettable that the planned next album never materialised, having dabbled in the electropop/synth movement so successfully (which there had been indications of on Super Trouper with On And On and Me An I), I can only imagine what riches would have been to come when they refined and fully embraced it even more. Of course TDBYC, Under Attack, I Am The City et al still stand as a tantalising glimpse of that.

I'm very sorry to hear so much chagrin for Two For The Price Of One; to me it fits the 'tone' of the album very well - it's in keeping with the overall musical style, and lyrically it tells another of the album's many stories of wistful irony. In fact the only track I feel is slightly out of place on The Visitors is, ironically, the only successful single, One Of Us - whilst I love it, it does feel musically like it would have fitted Super Trouper more and stands out as being, well more 'normal' than the tracks it's surrounded by.

Two For The Price of One still remains my favourite track on that album. I think part of it's problem was that as a song, it was well before it's time, made long before irony became commonplace in pop music. Its joyously subversive in it's acknowledgement of the endless criticisms of ABBA consisting of two hot Swedish women.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    theshadow wrote: »
    I consider myself a big ABBA fan but I'm shocked at the popularity of Voulez Vous. I've never been into that album at all. Surely Super Trouper is their masterpiece?? I assumed it would be at the top of the poll when I clicked into the link.

I agree. I never been into voulez vous either and again I have to agree with super trouper which I think is their best by a mile
  • benjiman_LFCbenjiman_LFC Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Super Trouper
    Super Trouper. I just love the title song, The winner takes it all and Happy New Year..
  • Dex_BracewellDex_Bracewell Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Arrival
    I never was a big fan of The Visitors. It has to be Arrival!