Les Miserables

Comments

• tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on the edge of my seat for DVD release details. Surely it won't be too long now as 'The Hobbit' was announced in the week and that came out 2/3 weeks before 'Les Mis' (in the UK anyway..I think).

Really hoping Tom Hooper or whoever is in charge isn't stingy when it comes to extras. I've ever anticipated a DVD release as much as this before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also just to add, what exactly is this DVD?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Les-Miserables-Documentary-featuring-Mackintosh/dp/B00AZYFANS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360594165&sr=8-2

It looks really cheap-made lol! But it sort of looks interesting...IF it contains new content from the film? Does anyone know?
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Les-Miserables-Documentary-featuring-Mackintosh/dp/B00AZYFANS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360594165&sr=8-2

It looks really cheap-made lol! But it sort of looks interesting...IF it contains new content from the film? Does anyone know?

It looks like a documentary about the making of the movie.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    And seeing the little snippets at the end of the awards not shown on the main broadcast, the cast seemed thrilled with the awards that it did win :)

Anne Hathaway's said she doesn't care what happens at the Oscars as long as they win for Sound Editing, she thinks Simon Hayes deserves the Oscar more than anyone :)

She gave a really nice answer in her post-win press conference last night as well when asked about the Oscars - she said it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if she didn't win, and seeing as she'll have her husband beside her it wouldn't be the best either (i.e. her marriage is the best thing to happen to her). Nice to see some proper perspective, she definitely deserves the win though and it'll be a shock of Juliette Binoche proportions if she doesn't get it now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a very long thread so apologies if this has been posted before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4yxsRRnvkE

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No idea, bit Muggins here has pre-ordered it!! :o Will let you know on February 26th.
    This is a very long thread so apologies if this has been posted before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4yxsRRnvkE

:D It has, but I never get tired of it. Brilliant, and I can no longer watch Annie do any acceptance speech without transposing this in my mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    No idea, bit Muggins here has pre-ordered it!! :o Will let you know on February 26th.

:D It has, but I never get tired of it. Brilliant, and I can no longer watch Annie do any acceptance speech without transposing this in my mind.

Thanks :D If it's worth getting then I will do so. But I will wait for your judgement first :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if Les Mis is still #1 in the UK? I hope so!
  • ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know if Les Mis is still #1 in the UK? I hope so!

Nope! It dropped down to #2. Wreck it Ralph totally smashed it this weekend and is #1

Also looks like Les Mis won't be able to catch Mamma Mia's UK box office total, which is a shame! Started off so well...damn it!
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,913
    Forum Member
    ^ I've never seen Mamma Mia and I have desire to, I'm no fan of Abba :o

I almost saw Les Mis again today but chose Hitchcock instead seeing as I've seem LM twice :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The US DVD release has been given the date of 22nd March. No deleted scenes though :(

There are some fairly good bonus features to be fair but of course, fans always have something different in mind :p
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time to invest in Blu-ray you Les Mis fans
    http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10462
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey just watched Les Mis today for the first time, just casually with some friends, hadn't read any reviews or anything, just fancied having a little trip to the cinema and we ended up choosing Les Mis.

OH MY GOD.

It blew me away. It was PHENOMENAL. From not really anticipating much, i was totally astonished at the incredible beauty and depth of this film and the talent from the actors/actresses and the film makers.

I cried at the end which is new for me, cos i have never EVER cried at a film once in my entire life, but Les Mis just really struck me like i've never felt before.

WOW. The best film i've ever ever watched.

What started off as a casual trip to the cinema, has now ended with this huge love and obsession for this wonderful story and all the characters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey just watched Les Mis today for the first time, just casually with some friends, hadn't read any reviews or anything, just fancied having a little trip to the cinema and we ended up choosing Les Mis.

OH MY GOD.

It blew me away. It was PHENOMENAL. From not really anticipating much, i was totally astonished at the incredible beauty and depth of this film and the talent from the actors/actresses and the film makers.

I cried at the end which is new for me, cos i have never EVER cried at a film once in my entire life, but Les Mis just really struck me like i've never felt before.

What started off as a casual trip to the cinema, has now ended with this huge love and obsession for this wonderful story and all the characters.

That's an excellent story!

I love it when things like that happen, sort of discovering something you never intended too.

It's such a brilliant film. The ending is sort of happy and joyous but sad too. I think I actually felt sad because it was ending :o LOVED IT!
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

OH MY GOD.

Will you join in our crusade?
    Who will be strong and stand with me?
    Somewhere beyond the barricade
    is there a world you long to see?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member

OH MY GOD.

.....And another Les Mis fan is born! Welcome to our world. x
  • BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My nan is a huge fan of the stage musical, and I myself am also a very big musical theatre fan. Up until a couple of months ago I hadn't even bothered watching my nans 25th anniversary DVD, but one day I decided to borrow it off her to see what all the fuss was about and OMG:D I now know what all the fuss is about! It's just so beautiful the way the songs blend together with the story.

I aw the film on Saturday and I can honestly say I've never ever seen a better film in all my life. If Anne doesn't win her well deserved Oscar I may start a riot;) (joke!) I didn't cry and that was purely because I was in shock at how magnificent it was. The whole thing from the singing to the set was just phenomenal and it had no flaws. For me the highlight was the ending, it was amazing how after Jean Valjean died, the whole cast joined together on the barricades to sing do you hear the people sing. I have a feeling this is the beginning of a le mis revolution!

Can I just add that Helena Bohnam Carter&Sacha were very funny and had me and my nan in stitches!:D
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that bluray looks sweet as!

Day 1 for me :) if the US version is region free, will be getting that firstly :)
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,913
    Forum Member
    I'm very much looking forward to the DVD release. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that bluray looks sweet as!

Day 1 for me :) if the US version is region free, will be getting that firstly :)

:confused: I've never really bothered with Blu-ray, indeed I barely know what it is until I started to checkout some info about it. Is it really that superior? Is it the next thing after DVDs. :o I don't know anyone who has a player.
    The players seem ridiculously cheap. Does it still play ordinary DVD's.? I have a Region 1 DVD player as well as a MP3/4 player but use the former as I get a lot from America. Will a Region 1 Blu-ray play US releases without me having to pay for an IT wizard to convert anything?
    In short is it worth it, as given the specs I'm reading it sounds amazing.

:o I realise this is in totally the wrong thread, but thought someone might have some good advice. My ignorance knows no limits in the technology stakes.
    At least on this thread you all know what a nutcase I am. :p
  • Susie-RSusie-R Posts: 1,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to see Les Miserable last night and I loved it, It's almost as good as the musical version, which I've seen three times, it's my all time favourite musical. My husband said he actually learnt more about the story from the film. It's such a beautiful story of forgiveness which was told really well by all the actors, obviously the singing isn't quite as good as the musical version but the acting is excellant
  • JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member
    tally wrote: »
    :confused: I've never really bothered with Blu-ray, indeed I barely know what it is until I started to checkout some info about it. Is it really that superior? Is it the next thing after DVDs. :o I don't know anyone who has a player.
    The players seem ridiculously cheap. Does it still play ordinary DVD's.? I have a Region 1 DVD player as well as a MP3/4 player but use the former as I get a lot from America. Will a Region 1 Blu-ray play US releases without me having to pay for an IT wizard to convert anything?
    In short is it worth it, as given the specs I'm reading it sounds amazing.

:o I realise this is in totally the wrong thread, but thought someone might have some good advice. My ignorance knows no limits in the technology stakes.
    At least on this thread you all know what a nutcase I am. :p

A blu-ray player will play regular dvds as well (this is what I worried about before purchasing my blu-ray player ... that it would render all my dvds unplayable).

However, I think most blu-ray players are like most dvd players in that they are locked down to a region. So for example I purchased my PS3 player (which also plays blu ray discs) in the UK, so it will only play region 2(?) blu rays and dvds. If you have a lot of region 1 dvds and wanted to upgrade to a blu ray player you'd either need to buy a machine that will play all discs, or have your blu ray player hacked.

I think.

Anyway, I just came on here to say that I finally got around to seeing the film last night and was totally blown away. I was very familiar with the story and songs, but had never seen the stage show.

From the opening moments I had a lump in my throat, and that pretty much stayed with me throughout. When the ending was coming up I was trying my very hardest to 'steel myself' for what I knew was going to happen, as I knew that if I gave into tears it would be like floodgates opening. My OH commented that he could sense me shuddering with the effort of trying not to bawl like a baby, lol.

Loved loved loved every second of it - too many moments to mention.

One teeny tiny criticism though ... one of my favourite parts is where Eponine dies in Marius' arms and they sing 'A Little Fall of Rain'. A little fall ???? Jesus, it was like someone just out of shot was standing over them with a watering can! Poor Samantha Barks could hardly open her eyes against the flow, and it kind of distracted me somewhat from what should have been a very poignant scene.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Why does everyone forget Eddie's amazing performance..equally as good as Anne and Hugh.
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does everyone forget Eddie's amazing performance..equally as good as Anne and Hugh.

Forget it? I have it on a loop!

:o
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I ranked the performances when I first saw the movie. Anne and Sam are the standouts for me, with Hugh and Eddie just slightly below as I didn't think they were just as good as Anne and Sam were.