Options

The Burning

JamesArnistonJamesArniston Posts: 279
Forum Member
Regarded as a video nasty in the early 80s, I just wondered whether this film has ever been shown on British TV.

I've just watched it and it hardly seems any more violent than many other horror films available today.

Comments

• Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarded as a video nasty in the early 80s, I just wondered whether this film has ever been shown on British TV.

I've just watched it and it hardly seems any more violent than many other horror films available today.

Same goes for most of those old video nasties...they all look quite tame and even laughable these days.

The problem is that they were banned for so long in some cases, like 20 years or more, and by the time they are released things have changed, effects have moved on tremendously, and the envelope as to what is acceptable has been pushed back even further.

Therefore the general attitude to watching those movies these days is usually 'What on earth was all the fuss about'?
  • Options
    BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    The Burning has always been one of my favourite horror films, basically a rip on Friday The 13th but done so much better IMO.

If I remember the history right it was butchered by the BBFC but the company that was distributing it (Thorn-EMI) accidentally released the full uncut version on video by mistake & they had to recall those versions. Now you can legally get it uncut on DVD.

Some great effects work from Tom Savini.

Just goes to show you the whole silliness of the 80's video nasty affair. I remember some MP's talking about how the sick disgusting grubby film called Cannibal Holocaust should be banned but when asked if any of them had actually seen the movie the answer was no from all of them.
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have got this film uncut on dvd and I really don't understand what the fuss was about!
    Even for the time A NIghtmare On Elm Street is far gorier and yet that was passed fully uncut. It was distributed by Vipco who made quite a few of these low budget horror films that were regarded as video nasties.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    It's a good underrated slasher.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The legend beats the reality of most of these films in truth.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The uncut version's been on Film4.
  • Options
    intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    The uncut version's been on Film4.

Can't remember ever seeing it in the schedules, how long ago was it?
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    intruder2k wrote: »
    Can't remember ever seeing it in the schedules, how long ago was it?

A good few years ago, around the mid 2000s, they showed it a few times and a couple of other banned movies iirc.
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    didn't harvey western write the burning..? also one of holly hunter's first roles, and george from seinfeld
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Burning's an odd one for me. In Friday 13th the characters are on the whole likeable enough, and their chumminess gradually descending into isolated terror sustains the totally banal script through from murder to murder, which to be honest is all we're really watching for. In The Burning however, practically all the teens are obnoxious in one way or another, and so the first 40 or so minutes before we actually get to the good stuff are tedious in the extreme. But when it gets going, it really does ramp up the tension, in a far more skilfully and sustained a way (IMHO) than FT13, resulting in a good couple of genuine 'jump out of seat' frissons, with the payoffs being much more satisfyingly bloody too.

Basically, FT13 is the more 'fun' film with the added bonus of a fair level of claret-spilling, plus the magnificent 11th hour turn by Betsy Palmer, whereas The Burning is a less pleasant watch and nastier in tone, but edges it on the scariness and gore fronts. None of The Burning's male cast however holds a candle (pun not intended) to Kevin 'ziggy' Bacon in his butt-hugging blue jean cutoffs in FT13 :):blush:
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great shower scene :)
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWasBored wrote: »
    I have got this film uncut on dvd and I really don't understand what the fuss was about!
    Even for the time A NIghtmare On Elm Street is far gorier and yet that was passed fully uncut. It was distributed by Vipco who made quite a few of these low budget horror films that were regarded as video nasties.

I think a lot of films suffered from cuts or bans around the late 70's early 80's. Plus the films classed as video nasties were originally put on video with no age rating.

The Maggie government had a knee jerk reaction to violence in society. So some were banned, some were cut.
    I can't remember when Nightmare on Elm Street came out on video, but by then there were age ratings and attitudes calmed down a bit ?
    Plus Nightmare on Elm street isn't fully uncut. There is a couple of seconds missing from the Brad Pitt blood bed scene. Just to be pedantic.

I have the MGM R1 of The Burning, a lot better than the washed out Vipco release. The Blu is supposed to be great but Region A locked.
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great film! I have a soft spot for The Burning because it was the first "nasty" I ever saw, back in 81 at a friends house, he was my first pal to own a VHS. The scissor scene still makes me wince!