Season 17: general discussion

Comments

• edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    Ok I bow down to your greater knowledge as you know more about the US celebs, I'm not really an avid Glee watcher so didn't recognise Amber's name & yeah it's a huge show so I can see her being very popular. So Derek is favoured yet again - how unsurprising :yawn:

I immediately recognised Elizabeth's name though and because it was mentioned she's a 'ringer' I thought she might have some viewer appeal especially those who used to watch her in 'Saved by the bell'. Mind you I thought Shannon Doherty would be quite popular but if I remember rightly she was a first exit.

Aww sorry soupy. He certainly seemed a good sport last season with Lisa - it would have been nice to see him with someone younger and more able. Hopefully he'll make a return as full pro next season.

Mind you I keep hoping against hope that they'll bring back Dmitry Chaplin but that doesn't seem likely anymore, they just bring him in to do one off performances.

I don't know much about Snooki - I know she was on 'Jersey Shore' which I never watched and she seems to be in the DM online website a lot, she does seem to suit Sasha in appearance - I'm not sure about Sasha , he's a really good dancer and seems quite a character but he also seems quite full of himself - we'll have to wait and see how he does as a teacher/choreographer. I think I prefer Henry Byalikov though.

Exactly why he gets on my nerve.Ughhh I was prepared to root for her but with my dislike for Sasha ? I don't see it. But I am hoping that we see a different side of him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    Yeah Topaz. Glee is mega popular with many audience figures. Amber could easily win even if she is semi good. Also with the Corey tragedy I can easily see a campaign to make Amber win over it (Which I am almost CERTAIN ABC will do a VT about, mark my words. :(), Derek favoured once again :rolleyes:

Exactly.
    This is why I don't see why some people think that Elisabeth will do better than the likes of Amber or even Snooki simply because she has a lot of dance experience compared to these 2 ladies.
    Once again, this show is a popularity contest and you may be a very good dancer but if you dont have the fanbase you cant go too far in the competition.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    edy10 wrote: »
    Exactly.
    This is why I don't see why some people think that Elisabeth will do better than the likes of Amber or even Snooki simply because she has a lot of dance experience compared to these 2 ladies.
    Once again, this show is a popularity contest and you may be a very good dancer but if you dont have the fanbase you cant go too far in the competition.

I need to see some actual dancing before I try to predict anything. I guess I'll throw my 2 cents into the mix after the first episode.

I partly agree with you edy...fanbase is a huge part of the show. I think your fanbase can carry you to a certain point in the show. But as you get closer to the finale...your actual dancing is important. I think the fans of the eliminated pros/celebs make a big difference as well.

Clearly they are invested in the show and likely to vote. Whomever picks up those votes gets a lot of momentum.

I tend to feel that historically the largest demographic of the show was an older audience...who might not be as familiar with the younger celebs. So just because Snooki or Amber have a lot of fans via twitter for example doesn't mean they will actually vote. I think Amber's fanbase is probably more cross connected with the demographic of dwts than Snooki's for example.

I don't know that just because you have a large twitter following for example that means they will vote. Kim K. did the show several years ago and she had followers in the millions...but she couldn't dance....thus got booted.

dwts is a weird thing...because it's really subjective to each person watching, what they connect with and why they vote.

Can't wait for the season to start!
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good cast I agree. To the UK friends, not every celeb is known to us all either, maybe we know more of them than you, but I have no idea who some of them are lol., I think that is why there is such a wide range of celebs and each caters to a particular fan base.

Some will hate Snooki just because she is Snooki, some will love her. "Showgirls" is a long standing joke in the movie industry and is still referenced in conversation (not in a good way), so that may harm Elizabeth. But personality is key, so she just may have this bright loveable personality that will endear her to the public. .

I'm actually surprised and pleased that Amber is in it. Glee is such a popular show. It's not always unheard of for soneone 'current' to join DWTS.

I wont miss the skybox interviews. I started to get annoyed with all the mugging and back play of some of the participants while they were seated in back of those being interviewed. Not sure how much extra time it took, but I guess seconds taken off every interview allows something else to occur on stage.

Can somebody guess as to why there are so many new pros? Are they trying to mix it up or get a wider, younger fan base? LIndsay seemed sweet, but I wont miss her.Wont mis Gleb. I sort of think the producers try to find pros that there can be some 'romantic' pretend play. Gleb talked a lot about his wife and family and that may have turned a young fan base off. I may be wrong lol. I like Chelsea, Anna, Kim, the other Lindsay (older one who danced with Chaz Bono and Kyle ?), Louis, Dimitry but wonder why they aren't asked to return. Pay perhaps? Trying to find 'new skin' to take it onward?

Poor Tristan. Very likeable and seems to have a great fan base, but its such a shame they give him the much older American icons who had their heydey before he was even born. They should have at least given him Snooki and Sasha could get Valerie, but being with Valerie will give Tristan a high profile beause it will be on the news and news features and any 'campaigns' that could be forthcoming, I am guessing.

Time to retire the Derek and Mark show IMO.
    Forum Member
    Aerick wrote: »
    Good cast I agree. To the UK friends, not every celeb is known to us all either, maybe we know more of them than you, but I have no idea who some of them are lol., I think that is why there is such a wide range of celebs and each caters to a particular fan base.

Some will hate Snooki just because she is Snooki, some will love her. "Showgirls" is a long standing joke in the movie industry and is still referenced in conversation (not in a good way), so that may harm Elizabeth. But personality is key, so she just may have this bright loveable personality that will endear her to the public. .

I'm actually surprised and pleased that Amber is in it. Glee is such a popular show. It's not always unheard of for soneone 'current' to join DWTS.

I wont miss the skybox interviews. I started to get annoyed with all the mugging and back play of some of the participants while they were seated in back of those being interviewed. Not sure how much extra time it took, but I guess seconds taken off every interview allows something else to occur on stage.

Can somebody guess as to why there are so many new pros? Are they trying to mix it up or get a wider, younger fan base? LIndsay seemed sweet, but I wont miss her.Wont mis Gleb. I sort of think the producers try to find pros that there can be some 'romantic' pretend play. Gleb talked a lot about his wife and family and that may have turned a young fan base off. I may be wrong lol. I like Chelsea, Anna, Kim, the other Lindsay (older one who danced with Chaz Bono and Kyle ?), Louis, Dimitry but wonder why they aren't asked to return. Pay perhaps? Trying to find 'new skin' to take it onward?

Poor Tristan. Very likeable and seems to have a great fan base, but its such a shame they give him the much older American icons who had their heydey before he was even born. They should have at least given him Snooki and Sasha could get Valerie, but being with Valerie will give Tristan a high profile beause it will be on the news and news features and any 'campaigns' that could be forthcoming, I am guessing.

I think personality matches have a lot to do with the pairings from the producers. Sasha kind of had to go with Snooki...she is super short and tiny. Snooki with Tristan or Gleb would have been too much of height difference. For the same reason I think Sasha and Valerie would have been odd.

There's a height difference with Val & Elizabeth but she doesn't seem to tower over him...even in heels. Standing next to each other she seems maybe an inch or 2 taller.

Certain pros were coming back no matter what probably. Others might have been at the mercy of the celebs height/personality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for that Valc_fan.. I never really thought of it that way and it makes perfect sense. The celeb comes first and the pros get matched accordingly.. But still so many new ones!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know Kym is judging Australian version of DWTS (which has a terrible lineup this season. Tina Arena is the only contestant which warrants a "star" status. The rest are just "personalities" on Seven Network) but is coming back for season 18 in spring 2014. I too wonder where Dmitry is and Louis has been missing in action for a while now. I know Louis has been busy with his dance studio and dance DVDs, but he can't have been gone for that long. Anna is pregnant, so she will take this season off. She and Kym normally gets paired with athletes. It is surprising to think that Derek has won the show four times now. I wonder if he will be the judge of the show if he gets his fifth title? :D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh and Anna is pregnant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is also the fact that some celebrities particularly request a certain pro.
    I know for a fact that Amber is a huge fan of Derek and say that if she ever does Dwts she wants to have him a pro.
    Nicole, lil Kim, Ricki Lake, Jennifer, Maria all requested Derek prior to taking part in the show and this is a fact.
    -Karina always said that she wanted to dance with Corbin (Dream partner ) if he ever does the show
    So sometimes the show fulfill the request of some of the pros.
    And sometimes they pair celebs because of similar personalities and most importantly interest : Like Mark & Katherine (music ), Mark & Christina (music ), Mark is a very patient teacher like Tristan to this is the reason why they gave him Bristol TWICE imo.
    Tristan seems to be in this show for the journey of his celebrity; although Im kinda bummed at the fact that he never really had a contender :(.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and Anna is pregnant.

I thought her and Jonathan were seperating or had (or maybe Jonathan is out of the picture all together and I should mind my own business lol),
  • fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought her and Jonathan were seperating or had (or maybe Jonathan is out of the picture all together and I should mind my own business lol),

She says it wasn't planned and is not saying who the father is at the moment ;). I think she's 4 months along.
    Forum Member

Lol. When I heard that's basically what I thought...I was like...wait...um isn't she married...or is she seperated...or is it....ummmm maybe none of my business. Don't feel bad...human nature. Happy for her either way :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://instagram.com/p/d4eqoOsWk9/

Awwwww What a cute pic :). She is so gorgeous.
    Mark has already started with the crazy facial expressions :rolleyes::p:D
    2nd favorite team this season.

I like MILLIBALL, Team MilliBall :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was a little surprised she was doing it to but then Glee is due to finish after season 6 (they are just starting 5 now) and she is no longer a cast regular so I suppose she's thinking to the future. I always liked her on Glee so look forward to seeing how she gets on:)
    Heres an interview with her - she says what dance she is doing first week if you are interested (or maybe you already know? I haven't read back :o) .

https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmentertainment/amber-riley-of-glee-dwts-on

(also gotta say she handles the questions about Cory with class :cry:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    Derek favoured once again :rolleyes:

So far this season is just meh to me but I am getting such a kick out of the Derek-hate comments here and elsewhere. Some are sooo invested in trying to cut him down a notch or two that they're writing non-sequiturs and getting facts wrong and dates mixed up to the point where they may miss the premiere by a week!

One even suggested DWTS go down to one season a year so it's less "stressful" for her to see Derek win. You can't make this stuff up.

So now even being paired with a 200-pounder is considered favoritism. :rolleyes:

But perhaps the producers know something I don't. After all, as a detractor noted, the GMA hosts interviewed Derek before interviewing any celebrities. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So far this season is just meh to me but I am getting such a kick out of the Derek-hate comments here and elsewhere.

Lol! Dancefan, I did roll my eyes at the predictability of some of the reactions, but I think you're overstating it with 'hate'.

I do hope this thread can avoid being taken over by yet another tedious ding-dong about just how much or how little Derek has been favoured - especially as we haven't seen any of them dance yet ;).

For those who just can't help it :rolleyes:, perhaps you could create a separate place for the fisticuffs :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    Lol! Dancefan, I did roll my eyes at the predictability of some of the reactions, but I think you're overstating it with 'hate'.

I do hope this thread can avoid being taken over by yet another tedious ding-dong about just how much or how little Derek has been favoured - especially as we haven't seen any of them dance yet ;).

For those who just can't help it :rolleyes:, perhaps you could create a separate place for the fisticuffs :)

It may not be hate on this board, but it certainly is on one site, they make no bones about it. I'm not looking to engage in discussion on the topic---the only reason I responded to a post a month or so ago was to correct some serious misstatements of fact. It just tickles my funny bone at the moment.

It's all good. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It may not be hate on this board, but it certainly is on one site, they make no bones about it. I'm not looking to engage in discussion on the topic---the only reason I responded to a post a month or so ago was to correct some serious misstatements of fact. It just tickles my funny bone at the moment.

It's all good. :)

BIB Phewee! :)

Are there any pairings from the new cast that you're looking forward to seeing? I'm going to have to wait and see them all on the first show as I have very little to go on at the moment :p (and am still getting over the disappointment of losing Gleb and adjusting to the knowledge I'll have to see more of Sasha and his low-cut cardies :(:o).

I'm looking forward to seeing Emma as a pro, but from what I read, she may not last too long! I think I prefer the way Strictly gives celebs with potential to the newbie pros. It's really difficult for them to build any kind of fan base otherwise - Sharna being an exception to prove the rule ;).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    BIB Phewee! :)

Are there any pairings from the new cast that you're looking forward to seeing? I'm going to have to wait and see them all on the first show as I have very little to go on at the moment :p (and am still getting over the disappointment of losing Gleb and adjusting to the knowledge I'll have to see more of Sasha and his low-cut cardies :(:o)

Agree on the disappointment of losing Gleb.:( Guess I'm most interested to see Val and Elizabeth, Corbin and Karina, Valerie and Tristan. All three celebs were dancers.

It does look like Emma may be out early, but so far she's displaying great attitude.
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because Amber could be considered overweight it doesn't mean she won't have dance ability or be popular which I'm quite certain she will be because she's from a hit tv series. Look at Lisa Riley - she was a huge hit on SCD last year.

So I stand by view which does not consitute 'hate' that Derek has been favoured again.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    I think Amber will actually top the leader-board a few times early on- especially in the fast-paced Latin routines.

Christina has quite a lot of dance training (not Scherzinger/ Mya levels, but enough), so I'm expecting great things from her.

I wish they'd have paired Jack with Emma so we could have had a mini Team Britain competing (and very sad news for Jack, as his fiancee has just announced that she's had a miscarriage)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Amber will actually top the leader-board a few times early on- especially in the fast-paced Latin routines.

Christina has quite a lot of dance training (not Scherzinger/ Mya levels, but enough), so I'm expecting great things from her.

I wish they'd have paired Jack with Emma so we could have had a mini Team Britain competing (and very sad news for Jack, as his fiancee has just announced that she's had a miscarriage)

There don't seem to be any clear duffers amongst the women (actually, I have no clue about Leah). Even Valerie says she was a dancer when she was younger and, much as I would have liked to see Tristan with a different kind of partner for once, if I was casting, he would have been the obvious choice.

BIB - That would have been fun!

(Poor Jack - I hadn't heard that about their baby. :()
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone read Val's latest blog yet ?
    http://www.puredwts.com/2013/09/05/val-chmerkovskiy-writes-on-dancing-with-the-stars-and-his-new-partner-elizabeth-berkley/

A lot of people are upset with it and I am not just talking about the comments at Puredwts.
    He got a lot of his previous partners fans (Zendaya, Kelly fans....) and some pairings upset with it.

And tbgh, I found the whole tone in that blog a bit arrogant and quite presumptuous.
    Way to gain new fans and keep old fans Val :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

He really lacks a lot of tact imo.The whole thing just didnt come up well to me.

I am not a fan of Dtws or SCD for that matter casting reality tv stars because technically they are not really " celebrities " but in today world's pop culture a lot of these reality tv stars are considered " celebrities ". Do I agree with it ? No but I don't like people putting down others ; it just doesnt sit well with me .
    Of course he is not the only pro who alluded to something of the sort but that blog was just..ughhh

Now I cannot wait until he gets a reality tv star a la Kim Kardashian or Tan mom :D:D . I want to see what he is going to say then :cool:.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.puredwts.com/2013/09/05/the-first-week-of-dances-on-dancing-with-the-stars-season-17-for-what-we-know-so-far/

I know that the male line-up look " weak " on paper but I actually think that a couple of men in that line-up will surprise the audience : Brant , Bill (The science guy ), and maybe to some extent that football player; I wouldn't write them off.
    Contrary to the past seasons were most of the men were the first to be eliminated, I think that the women will be the first to be eliminated this time . Brant (Pretty Little Liars fanbase ), Bill the Science guy already have Big fanbase and we have a football player...enough said.
    Oh and I still think that a man is winning this season; Right now I would put my money on Team Smirnoff-Bleu :D:D(Corbin and Karina ) but I guess we will see.

Has anyone seen Snooki interviews ? She really comes across so well, I think that people are really going to like her :); I cant wait to see what she brings on the dancefloor, I think that she is going to be fantastic, I just hope that the audience gives her a chance. Still cant stand Sasha but I am willing to root for them :).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think he made a big deal out of reality stars, tbh. I wonder if people just like to pick stuff to pieces and read more into it than is actually there. Okay, by implication, talking about 'legitimate celebrities', I suppose he might be putting reality stars down. Perhaps he's just alluding to some of the rumours that were around ahead of the announcement. Tanning Mom, anyone? :p

I agree about the arrogant tone though :rolleyes: :D.

He (unsurprisingly, perhaps) writes in a very similar way to Maks. There's a lot of repetition, self-justification and self-aggrandisement in there. Needs someone with a big red pen to edit him ;).