Cooking Roast Potatoes in advance?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My friend wants to cook her roasties for Sunday on Saturday but doesn't know how best to store and reheat them to keep them crispy, any got suggestions?

Comments

• fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest, I wouldn't bother - the only way to reheat them and keep them crispy would be in the oven, which defeats the purpose.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if she really wants to make hoem made then probably best to freeze them then reheat them in the deep fat fryer for crispy roasties, but my best bet would be to buy frozen ones if i didn't have time to make them on the day, they are actually quite good if you get decent ones, garunteed to be crispy aswell.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I wouldn't bother - the only way to reheat them and keep them crispy would be in the oven, which defeats the purpose.

I find the best way to reheat cooked roasts is actually in a deep fat fryer, lovely and crisp.

I have par boiled and chilled before when I decided I had boiled too many and that was fine for cooking the day after in the over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    My dad did this one year and said he wouldn't again, they were ok but definitely lacking a bit. Can she do the meat the day before instead? I've always found that to be better than doing it on the day anyway, gives it plenty of resting time!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cook them on the day - freshly done. That's what cooking is all about :)
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A day old roast potatoes are so wrong!:eek:
  • c4ll3mwc4ll3mw Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the others im not sure it would work well.

If shes lacking in time she could par boil them the day before and put them in a air tight container in the fridge ready for roasting.

If its oven space shes lacking then after the turkey (or other meat) has been taken out whack the oven on high and put the roasties in a pre heated tin with goose fat for about 30mins. The meat covered in foil will still be red hot by the time the roasties are ready! I often leave my turkey for above an hour by tenting it in a couple of layers of foil and putting a thick blanket over top, it gives me time to do roasties and mash the spuds etc..

I can see no real need to cook roasties day before.
  • aggielaneaggielane Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't roast them but par boiling them and cooling and chilling them is ok. I always add a bit of oil to them before I chill them.
  • ShuttermazeShuttermaze Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    I've cooked my roasties plenty of times and heated them through the following day, Never had a problem with them. Don't cover them, just leave them in a cupboard or the fridge, then take out, pop them in a roasting tin, (no need to add oil, as they'll have retained enough from the initial roasting) and heat them through for about 15, 20 mins. Lully! Mary Berry does hers the day before too!
  • SmurfleSmurfle Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wierd, just heard Mary Berry talking about this on the radio!

She says to cook them tomorrow, drain off any excess fat, pop them in the fridge/larder and then stick them back in the oven when your meat is cooked to crisp them back up. She said you can do parsnips the same way...

Never tried it myself, but Mary Berry can do no wrong in my book!

ETA - sorry shuttermaze - didn't see your post!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, she did some Googling herself in the end and decided to go with part roasting them. The reason she wanted to save time is she's travelling to a friend's house about 45 mins away and cooking dinner there, but has family round for part of the morning so she wants to be able to basically just steam the veg when she gets there so they can still eat at lunchtime. She's cooking the meat in advance and has made and frozen some Yorkshires too.

Thanks all :-)
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raymond Blanc did roasties last night and said they keep well for a day, just reheat them in the oven.

Edit: on TV, not in my house
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm, is it possible to eat it in advance.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Hmm, is it possible to eat it in advance.
    Save time tomorrow by eating your christmas dinner today?
  • Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    tip from my Aunt who is a Leiths lecturer - Dont par boil them, actually fully boil so they go slightly fluffy drain them and put them in a sealed container with some flavouring of your choice i.e. black pepper sea salt etc toss them around in this before putting them in the container, then on the morning leave them on the side open to get to room temp when youve got the fat (she uses beef dripping) nice and spitting hot throw them in and i must say they are gorgeous soft and fluffy inside and crispy outside.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Can't you phone and ask Auntie Bessie if its ok to cook them beforehand :p
  • BananacreampieBananacreampie Posts: 798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Specktater wrote: »
    My dad did this one year and said he wouldn't again, they were ok but definitely lacking a bit. Can she do the meat the day before instead? I've always found that to be better than doing it on the day anyway, gives it plenty of resting time!

I agree cooking the meat the day before is better than the potatoes, cant bear deep fried roasties lots of restaurants do this and they never taste the same. That fluffy but crispiness isnt there anymore. Putting them back in the oven would be better.

Frozen roast tatties are the same you can tell a mile off like frozen or oven chips just dont have it. .
    queenshaks wrote: »

Great in a bubble and squeak though and they do crisp right up again yummy :D
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend wants to cook her roasties for Sunday on Saturday but doesn't know how best to store and reheat them to keep them crispy, any got suggestions?

Why? what's wrong with cooking them on the day? Roast potato's should be the last thing out the oven and the last thing on the plate or they go soggy.

And do par boil them first. ;)

And as for that deep fry 'em rubbish...:eek::eek:
  • JessTheCatJessTheCat Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always par boil them in the morning while the oven heats up then put them in while I prepare the turkey. Take them out when you put the turkey in - give them about 30 mins - then leave them in their baking tray covered with a clean tea towel.

When the turkey's done, crank the oven right up and put the spuds back in, give them a quick baste and let them cook while the turkey 'rests'. This is a good time to add the parsnips. By the time everything's ready to serve you'll have perfect roast potatoes.
  • simonmooresimonmoore Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did mine in a Tefal actifry for Christmas lunch this year with goose fat they were out of this world. Even my granny had a second helping! I have a big family one and a normal size one. In the small one I did parsnips in the goose fat then the last few minutes I added some honey to glaze them then served straight to the table yum yum.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    queenshaks wrote: »

I'd left some in the tray with the goose, and somehow they vanished. Someone in this house didn't think they were so wrong.....:D

Slightly off topic. I just realised Iforgot to refridgerate the goose fat. I know I'm a slob but it's been sitting in a jug (covered)in the kitchen since xmas day. Is it salvageable for future use or do i just bin it?
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    I'd left some in the tray with the goose, and somehow they vanished. Someone in this house didn't think they were so wrong.....:D

Slightly off topic. I just realised Iforgot to refridgerate the goose fat. I know I'm a slob but it's been sitting in a jug (covered)in the kitchen since xmas day. Is it salvageable for future use or do i just bin it?

it should be fine;)