Reign - US Pace (spoilers included)

LMLM Posts: 63,327
Forum Member
✭✭
Has anyone here been watching The CW's new period drama called Reign.

It is about the future Mary Queen of Scots who moves to France to prepare for her marriage and eventually become queen. However, there are dark forces out there who are determined to make sure it never happens. Although based on real life characters, it is mainly fictional.

I am really impressed with this show. I will go as far as saying it's one of the best drama's that THE CW have pulled out in years. I originally thought it would just be a teen period drama, but it's not. It's rather dark and hasn't turned away from the likes of Female Masturbation, Attempted Rape and a good old beheading.

Comments

• MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member

It is about the future Mary Queen of Scots who moves to France to prepare for her marriage and eventually become queen. However there are dark forces out there who are determined to make it never happens. Although based on real life characters, it is mainly fictional.

I am really impressed with this show. I will go as far as saying it's one of the best drama's that THE CW have pulled out in years. I originally thought it would just be a teen period drama, but it's not. It's rather dark and hasn't turned away from the likes of Female Masturbation, Attempted Rape and a good old beheading.

I watched the first two episodes, and I certainly didn't expect anything close to historical accuracy (I believe quite strongly that dramatists are entitled to take liberties with history when doing period drama). Still, it is clear that this show is being tailored to the tastes of young women (perfectly understandable given that that is The CW's target demographic) and I can't say I have those kinds of tastes, hence will probably not continue with the show. Let the same subject matter be tackled by just about any UK channel, or an American cable channel, and something better would have come from the effort.
  • si29uksi29uk Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is glossy and has pace - but the design and music choices are very jarring.

I am not expecting total authenticity - but the costumes are ridiculously out of period (worse than The White Queen)

The music - well, yes, the show is being made to please a certain demographic - but the soundtrack is so modern that it, as with the costumes, take you out of the story and into the modern world. There is a way of putting together a score that is both modern and evokes the period.

Given how strong some recent period dramas have been, this feels too wrong.

The dialogue is often clunky and far too modern in terms of idiom (not that I was expecting full Early Modern English) - and the behaviour of the characters is again out of kilter with the era.

If you want to construct a piece that has all the characteristics that have been built into Reign - then set it in a fantasy world and don't try to pretend this is a historical drama.

As a piece of entertaining fantasy fluff, it would succeed. As drama it is falling short.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just me that likes it then
    Damn
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Just me that likes it then
    Damn

You know, I decided to give the show ONE more chance, and I actually liked episode three. It dealt much more with the politics and the complications in Mary's situation. I can't say I am won over yet, but that episode bought the show more time as far as me following it goes.
  • tigertimtimtigertimtim Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    enjoyed ep 2...not seen 3 yet :]
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went really over the top looking back at my first post. I only judged the show based on those two episodes. But the ones aired afterwards haven't matched the quality.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is about the future Mary Queen of Scots who moves to France to prepare for her marriage and eventually become queen. However, there are dark forces out there who are determined to make sure it never happens. Although based on real life characters, it is mainly fictional.

Hated it, script clunky, acting so so and dare I say it but even the BBC's White Queen was better than this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So iv watched all 10 episodes in the past 2 days and I have to say I really enjoyed it overall!! The first few episodes were'nt the best but I was thoroughly into it by episode 5/6 and the latest few episode have been great!
    Think people need to give it another go, however i do feel its not really for those who seek a proper historic drama :)
  • Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's such a shame this show is getting such little discussion on here, perhaps it should be in the genre shows section rather than this one.

Having just watched one of the best hours of TV this year, I have to say this series has surpassed expectations in so many ways, for a CW show to actually have interesting political aspects, proper fights and twists that both make sense but actually fit in with the character arcs that have been set out through all 20 episodes so far is extremely pleasing.

Reign has to be one of the most remarkable shows of recent years, taking a historical setting, turning it into fantasy and getting it to work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say i got bored about mid season. If this was on cable and had swearing, nudity and violence, it would be one of the best shows on television. But it's too watered down. If you compare how the pilot was to the episodes that followed, it is clear the CW intervened and toned down the show into being like a teen soap opera Downton abbey meets The tudors type show. The ratings are also very inconsistent. It wouldn't suprise me if doesn't end up like Beauty and the beast and end up with below a million viewers throughout the year and then axed next television season. Just an example of The CW trying to be different but it's still too safe.

History shouldn't be treated by a teen soap opera. I am aware this show is meant to be more fictional than accurate which is fair. It can make today's generation incredibly ignorant of what ocurred in the time Mary Queen of scots was around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say i got bored about mid season. If this was on cable and had swearing, nudity and violence, it would be one of the best shows on television. But it's too watered down. If you compare how the pilot was to the episodes that followed, it is clear the CW intervened and toned down the show into being like a teen soap opera Downton abbey meets The tudors type show. The ratings are also very inconsistent. It wouldn't suprise me if doesn't end up like Beauty and the beast and end up with below a million viewers throughout the year and then axed next television season. Just an example of The CW trying to be different but it's still too safe.

It's a shame you pulled out back then, I would agree that after a strong start it sagged a little around Episode 4 to 8. But since then its just been week after week of building political intrigue, very well plotted stories, actually believable love interests and intrigues and the interplay between Catherine and Mary has been fantastic.

As with any US show, being on a Network really limits how much sex and swearing you can get. And probably to the detriment of the show. But honestly, the way it has gone from 90210 meets The Tudors to turn into a brilliant Gossip Girl** meets House of Cards has been really well written, acted and executed.

** I'm using Gossip Girl as an example of a top notch teen drama, it may not be, I've never watched any teen drama, Reign isn't really one, it just uses aspects of it to get political intrigue and proper drama onto the CW. That alone makes it worthwhile.
    History shouldn't be treated by a teen soap opera. I am aware this show is meant to be more fictional than accurate which is fair. It can make today's generation incredibly ignorant of what ocurred in the time Mary Queen of Scots was around.

Or it might get people who would never have known the story of Mary to go read *at least* the wiki and maybe some deeper history and learn about one of the most incredible stories of the middle ages.

I first watched it when I read the concept and thought how ludicrous. If they had tried to follow a more historically accurate show it would not have been that good. The way it has been done puts it firmly into line with Genre shows - which is why I think the discussion needs to move from US TV to Cult, Sci Fi and Fantasy.

The premises is a marmite moment. If you buy that, then you get an incredible show. If you don't buy it you'll never like anything in it.
  • FooxFoox Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i watched up to 12 then got bored was the same old thing each week
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Foox wrote: »
    i watched up to 12 then got bored was the same old thing each week

Not sure I can really understand that comment, there hasn't been any repetition in the show, even in its uneven episodes in the early first half, it was still innovative every time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare_Allan wrote: »
    It's such a shame this show is getting such little discussion on here, perhaps it should be in the genre shows section rather than this one.

Having just watched one of the best hours of TV this year, I have to say this series has surpassed expectations in so many ways, for a CW show to actually have interesting political aspects, proper fights and twists that both make sense but actually fit in with the character arcs that have been set out through all 20 episodes so far is extremely pleasing.

Reign has to be one of the most remarkable shows of recent years, taking a historical setting, turning it into fantasy and getting it to work.

I for one agree with you! I watch all the top notch shows from GOT to Homeland and although Reign may not be on their level, it is still a great show which i look forward to watching every week. The last few episodes have been excellent with all the latest twist and turns, and has truly surprised me as I thought it was going to end up being a teen love story which which would drag all season. I seem to have a soft spot for many of the characters too which always makes it a show worth watching haa.. and as you mentioned, it did make me go do some googling on Mary Queen of Scots and the politics surrounding France :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rubyx93 wrote: »
    I for one agree with you! I watch all the top notch shows from GOT to Homeland and although Reign may not be on their level, it is still a great show which i look forward to watching every week. The last few episodes have been excellent with all the latest twist and turns, and has truly surprised me as I thought it was going to end up being a teen love story which which would drag all season. I seem to have a soft spot for many of the characters too which always makes it a show worth watching haa.. and as you mentioned, it did make me go do some googling on Mary Queen of Scots and the politics surrounding France :)

Another nice aspect of this is that they do actually incorporate the history and it's becoming more accurate over time, outside of the invented characters and age discrepancies they are now hitting each historical milepost. For example Calais really was liberated by Mary's Uncle the Duke de Guise some months before the death of Henry.

It's never going to be factual but its nicely worked in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's surprising how this serious continues to get better every episode.

Never saw the twist in the Lola storyline in yesterday's episode coming. Mary and Catherine's little plan turning out to have the exact outcome they didn't want was really well done.

Shame there's only one more episode this season.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Well I wasn't going to watch this then something sparked my interest the other day and I have just binge watched the first 21 eps and thoroughly enjoyed it, I am glad they haven't really stated the ages they are supposed to be! My only criticism is I feel this season has been rushed with marrying everyone off etc and Henrys madness just wished it had grown slower so you can see Mary grow slower and more depth to the supposed love triangle
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    Well I wasn't going to watch this then something sparked my interest the other day and I have just binge watched the first 21 eps and thoroughly enjoyed it, I am glad they haven't really stated the ages they are supposed to be! My only criticism is I feel this season has been rushed with marrying everyone off etc and Henrys madness just wished it had grown slower so you can see Mary grow slower and more depth to the supposed love triangle

I think there are a lot of people who have never given the series a chance, partly because it takes a few liberties with history but mainly because its on The CW and they expect it to follow The CW formula - which clearly Reign doesn't do.

The season finale was magical television. The Leith twist was magnificently done, the Henry climax both entertaining and shocking, the dialogue between Mary and Francis in their final scene inside was some of the best on television - it would have been perfectly at home in Epic cinema.

I can't believe I only watched this because I thought it would be so bad it would be funny. Instead it's possibly the best show on television right now.
  • epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think E4 could pick this up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave this show another go and binged season 1 this week. The show really does evolve. It starts out as a bit of a teen soap with a historical twist but by midseason, it ramps up the drama well and so many great twists and turns.

My earlier comments on the show are ones I do wish to take back. I think I took the show a bit too seriously and never gave it a chance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Region 2 DVD available of first season for those who do not have a multi-region DVD player.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/reign-season-dvd-box-Italian/dp/B00OQUROZ4/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1429170767&sr=1-2&keywords=reign
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epsom wrote: »
    Region 2 DVD available of first season for those who do not have a multi-region DVD player.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/reign-season-dvd-box-Italian/dp/B00OQUROZ4/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1429170767&sr=1-2&keywords=reign

It's an italian import
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an italian import
    Yes!!! So it's Region 2, which is what DVD's are in the UK, and the original English sound track is on it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epsom wrote: »
    Yes!!! So it's Region 2, which is what DVD's are in the UK, and the original English sound track is on it!

Someone likes their exclamation points just a tad much.

I only stated it was an Italian import. I will have my head back when your done biting it off.:p;-)