Game of Thrones S3 (US Pace, Spoilers)

Comments

• barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with all the sentiments regarding Margaery and Olenna. I think they're both brilliant and their scene with Sansa is one of my favourites. Margaery's reaction to "He's a monster" was great :D
  • augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    mindset wrote: »
    So after training herself to praise Joffrey and damn her traitor family, Sansa finally blurts out her real thoughts, for the lure of a lemon cake. OK then....

Having been informed that she's engaged to a "monster", the undaunted Margaery simply raises an eyebrow and sets out to contend with Joffrey on his terms; "Could you kill something?"says he, "Would you like to watch me?" She's wonderfully irresistible.

The Hound must have been seriously annoyed that Sansa refused his offer of rescue, to be calling her sister "that Stark bitch". That leads me to think his offer to Sansa may not have been entirely honourable.

Do brother and sister Reed exemplify again that in this series, the female is deadlier than the male?

there are things here....about Sansa telling Margary and her grandmother the truth, that have been simplified in the TV series from the books.....In the books she takes a lot more persuading to tell the truth.

And as for Bronn being knighted, I thought this was one of the things Tyrion did when he was hand of the king, before the battle, as part of securing his own position. But despite this honour, Bronn is still a sellsword who works for money.

And as a British viewer, its getting to be a whose who of well known British actors. Apart from Peter Dinklage, are there any American actors playing major characters? and who are they?

And the brother Read has to be the boy from Love Actually ....such a distinctive face...
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    augusta92 wrote: »
    And as a British viewer, its getting to be a whose who of well known British actors. Apart from Peter Dinklage, are there any American actors playing major characters? and who are they?

Game of Thrones received major funding from the Northern Irish Government through the Northern Ireland Screen Fund, part of which required them to employ actors with Equity cards (as I understand it) which is why it's mostly filled with British and Irish actors and shot on location in Ireland and Europe.
    I believe Dinklage is actually the only American actor appearing in the show in any major capacity.
    And the brother Read has to be the boy from Love Actually ....such a distinctive face...

Yes it's Thomas Sangster. He's a fairly well established actor having successfully transitioned from being a child actor :)
  • MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a bit shocked at this weeks episode, I really didn't see that ending coming.

Also the rock music or w/e it was totally didn't work at the end/credits.
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    The version I mystically beamed into my computer cut the music in OVER the final scene and totally ruined it. I've not found a version yet that doesn't have that bizarre tune blasting out over the last bit of dialogue! :s
  • MotherTeresaMotherTeresa Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The version I mystically beamed into my computer cut the music in OVER the final scene and totally ruined it. I've not found a version yet that doesn't have that bizarre tune blasting out over the last bit of dialogue! :s

Anyone having this problem may want to consult this Youtube clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq0cxlnIAgo

The title of the video spoils the end of episode three, so watch at your peril.
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moboloco wrote: »
    Also the rock music or w/e it was totally didn't work at the end/credits.

It was a cover of the same song the men were singing earlier in the show (and which probably has been or will be in the show again), a memorable song from the books. And the cover is an excellent style of music for maiming someone.
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Man, those opening minutes...... :o:D ....imagine that guy attempting to light the Olympic Flame for London 2012 and missing again and again. :p

And the closing seconds..... :eek: ....I hope Sansa gets the heck out of Kings Landing ASAP, I fear Tywin is the 'eye for an eye' kind of bloke, or in this case, a hand for a hand.

And Podrick! :D Best lover in the Seven Kingdoms by the looks of it.

Best episode of the season so far.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looked like Jaime had the same reaction as me - for a second, he couldn't quite believe what had just happened. Robb needs to get a better handle on his Northern brethren, as a lot of them seem quite mad.

Case in point - wtf is going on with Theon? Nearly arse-raped by - assumedly - some house-of-Bolton lackey. What on Earth is going on there? Though, on the other hand, its the first time we've seen Theon genuinely disinterested in sex! :p
  • ninz39ninz39 Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well this show certainly makes one gasp!!! Yikes
  • sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,006
    Forum Member

there is a 'proper' version around, without the music over that final scene... although the screen was extremely dark, we couldn't tell exactly what he'd cut off until upping the brightness and playing again...! Quite a shock ending that...!

Do we know where Theon is supposed to be (without spoilers from the books) - last season he was knocked out by his own men, do we know who it is yet who is/was holding him?
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sheff71 wrote: »

Do we know where Theon is supposed to be (without spoilers from the books) - last season he was knocked out by his own men, do we know who it is yet who is/was holding him?

We've not actually been told but there have been hints given in the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm so glad i watched it on Sky. I had it downloaded but couldn't be bothered to hook my laptop up to my tv. I record the Sky one on my planner anyways so i just watched that.

Ending was so good. Glad it wasn't spoilt on me.

I'm sure the studios are putting up torrents for shows now but with them ruined. To put people off downloading them again.

The Walking Dead finale ending was out of sync too. Plus you've got to search a good few torrents and the comments to find a version that's not a 'fake'
  • kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved this fan-made clip of Jamie and Brienne with lightsabers!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBPviD44qJw&NR=1&feature=endscreen
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sheff71 wrote: »

The tv series differs somewhat from the books on this storyline but what we've seen on screen is:
    Theon and a small group of Iron Islanders take Winterfell.
    Lord Bolton offers to King Robb to get his son to gather troops and to besiege Winterfell.
    They surround the castle and blow horns all night bugging Theon.
    Robb says to offer any Iron Islander (except Theon) free passage to the coast if they give up without a fight.
    Theon's men knock him out.
    Later, Winterfell is a burnt ruin.
    Theon wakes up as a prisoner.
    Someone (who says Theon's sister sent him) helps him escape.

This is all we know from the tv series. Theon doesn't appear for quite a while in the books, so the stuff happening just now wasn't in the books. But with book knowledge we have a fair idea of what's going on but I won't go into spoilery stuff here.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    felt the iron bank of bravos line was very intriguing

maybe they will fund dany and her unsullied if kingslanding doesnt pay up
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vintage06 wrote: »
    I'm so glad i watched it on Sky. I had it downloaded but couldn't be bothered to hook my laptop up to my tv. I record the Sky one on my planner anyways so i just watched that.

Ending was so good. Glad it wasn't spoilt on me.

I'm sure the studios are putting up torrents for shows now but with them ruined. To put people off downloading them again.

The Walking Dead finale ending was out of sync too. Plus you've got to search a good few torrents and the comments to find a version that's not a 'fake'

I can't believe that people still use torrents to download stuff, there's so many easier & less dangerous ways of acquiring it. All I have to say is, cyberlockers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d3nium wrote: »
    I can't believe that people still use torrents to download stuff, there's so many easier & less dangerous ways of acquiring it. All I have to say is, cyberlockers.

Feel free to inform me via PM ;)
  • mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there are things here....about Sansa telling Margary and her grandmother the truth, that have been simplified in the TV series from the books.....In the books she takes a lot more persuading to tell the truth.

I'm sure what you say must be true, because that scene in the tv show is inexplicable, at least to this viewer. Why would Sansa betray herself at the behest of an imperious old woman and her ambitious granddaughter? It's not as if she seemed to know what she was doing either; regretting it instantly, "don't cancel the wedding!". This isn't the first time the writers have short changed Sansa either IMO. At the end of season 2 we saw her rejecting Littlefinger's offer of assistance, yet viewers are supposed to accept that she would now ask him outright to defy the king and help her flee from King's Landing? Why has she become so abruptly open with her thoughts and intentions? It's not as if she knows Jaime has been mutilated, which would've explained the transition from her personally imposed lockdown, to apparent recklessness.

I think Sansa's credibility would have benefitted from further exposition on these points, instead I'm left disappointed with the feeling that in this instance, perhaps the writers took it for granted that viewers have read the books, when this viewer hasn't.

And as for Bronn being knighted, I thought this was one of the things Tyrion did when he was hand of the king, before the battle, as part of securing his own position. But despite this honour, Bronn is still a sellsword who works for money.

There was a conversation showing Tyrion asking Bronn to wear a gold cloak, which he declined, but a knighthood? Are all the gold cloaks knights? AFAIK Tyrion never had that kind of power and none of the people who do (his family) are disposed to oblige him particularly. Tyrion claimed patronage, but he must know Joffrey wouldn't do anything at all for him? I think one of them must have made Bronn an offer he couldn't (or daren't) refuse. Could it have been a reward for staying away from Tyrion during the battle at Blackwater, allowing Joffrey's man a free run at trying to kill him? Bronn conveniently saved The Hound, but not Tyrion?

Tyrion is one of my favourites, so it annoys me that he doesn't see Joffrey giving Bronn a knighthood as the huge red flag that I think it is.
  • mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robb Stark calls himself a king, yet cannot manage/control any of the people around him. His mother betrays him by releasing Jaime. His wife chirps on his shoulder at Harrenhal,"she's your mother", apparently trying to undermine his resolve to treat her as a traitor. She does better at tending to wounded Lannisters. Bolton was supposed to deliver Theon to Robb, but no. His men recapture Jaime, but I doubt their treatment of him will now facilitate any hostage exchange. Did he ever intend to return Theon and Jaime to Robb? Robb's uncle disobeys his orders, failing to set a prepared trap for Clegane and all he does is shout about it, when he should've taken his head. Robb isn't bad enough to be king, so he isn't good enough either IMO.

Poor Brienne and Jaime. Her merciful refusal to silence (kill) the old woodcutter leads to their capture. Good deeds apparently don't go unpunished in Westeros. Jaime persuades Bolton's men not to gang rape Brienne, but he loses a hand for his efforts. Good deeds very definitely don't go unpunished in Westeros.

And Stannis. He loses a battle and now he can't even get it up, however much he begs. Sad.
  • 2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    Anyone having this problem may want to consult this Youtube clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq0cxlnIAgo

The title of the video spoils the end of episode three, so watch at your peril.

Thanks, that was very useful. :)
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Superb opening and closing scenes and sandwiched in the middle was some of the best story telling of Season Three. Too many great moments to mention but one of my favourites was the scene with Gendry, Arry and Hotpie saying goodbye, it was so understated but with a world of hidden depth (for me as a book reader anyway).
    Also great scene between Cat and the Blackfish with a bit more of an explanation about Riverrun and its importance to Westeros and a bit of Tully history thrown together. The guy playing Edmure is perfect, he's all smoke and no substance and he gets that inherited arrogance, that Cat also demonstrates at times, across really well.
    Stannis and Melisandre's scene wasn't done well though for me, the exchange has much more potency in the book and it's a lot more sinister when she refers to others with the King's Blood than it came across on screen.

Superb scenes with Jaime and Brienne as well, you start to see that Lannister veneer cracking and the ending (even though I knew it was coming) was still highly effective. I also loved the introduction of The Bear and the Maiden Fair and I liked the "punk" version of it over the end credits.
  • PerpetualAscentPerpetualAscent Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    mindset wrote: »
    Robb Stark calls himself a king, yet cannot manage/control any of the people around him. His mother betrays him by releasing Jaime. His wife chirps on his shoulder at Harrenhal,"she's your mother", apparently trying to undermine his resolve to treat her as a traitor. She does better at tending to wounded Lannisters. Bolton was supposed to deliver Theon to Robb, but no. His men recapture Jaime, but I doubt their treatment of him will now facilitate any hostage exchange. Did he ever intend to return Theon and Jaime to Robb? Robb's uncle disobeys his orders, failing to set a prepared trap for Clegane and all he does is shout about it, when he should've taken his head. Robb isn't bad enough to be king, so he isn't good enough either IMO.

Poor Brienne and Jaime. Her merciful refusal to silence (kill) the old woodcutter leads to their capture. Good deeds apparently don't go unpunished in Westeros. Jaime persuades Bolton's men not to gang rape Brienne, but he loses a hand for his efforts. Good deeds very definitely don't go unpunished in Westeros.

And Stannis. He loses a battle and now he can't even get it up, however much he begs. Sad.

Yes, that's what will make his men respect him more. Kinslaying.And he wouldn't just be killing any uncle, but the uncle who happens to be the Lord of Riverrun, one of the most powerful lords in the seven kingdoms and a very valuable ally for Robb.

Or am I just being a book snob again?
  • Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey, what a shocker of an episode- i've not read the books.

FWIW with Sansa I think people forget she is meant to be 14/15 and to expect a little naivety is only fair; thus far her behaviour/court manners have been impeccable but she is not a grown woman playing the Game of Thrones like Margery. The Tyrell ladies were the first people to show her genuine kindness throughout the whole nightmare in what would be 1/2 years so it is any surprise she blurted some stuff out given what she has been through?

I was confused though why she rejected Littlefinger's offer of help and then asked for it; maybe she was testing him to see if he was genuine, she never can be sure who is lying and who isn't in Kings Landing maybe?

I was shocked when Dany offered a dragon in trade for the army; but her further questioning as to "will the army do anything" makes me suspect she is brewing a double cross so she ends up with the army and all the dragons.

It was Jamie's sword hand was it not that was cut off?

And I love how Cercei's power and influence has clearly faded now she in no longer wife of the King but mother to the King who is coming into his power. I bet she comes back fighting soon though ;)
  • MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a late comer. Was sick last week and watched the first two series over two days. Going mad now that I'm being drip fed the third series. Incredible show. Genuinely gasped at the scene with Jaime. Thought pods return from the brothel and the reaction from the lads was hilarious. Can't wait til next week. Just found out Joffrey is from my town. Would never have guessed no trace of an Irish accent.