Queen Victoria's Children.

Comments

• ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe Vicky enjoyed the royal rumpy-pumpy

I wonder who was playing choo-choo in the royal tunnel once Bert had shuffled off ?
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katie wrote: »
    BIB: It's extremely unlikely the Queen would have consented to provide DNA, not through any risk of something being proved or disproved but just because she wouldn't do that (provide DNA) and I doubt anyone would dare ask her :D Prince Philip is much more open about such things as I understand.

It certainly is interesting about Victoria's supposed parentage, stories have been flying for ages, the porphyria allegedly stopped at her (she didn't have it or not confirmed) out with her and haemophilia appeared. However I seem to remember reading that Prince William of Gloucester, the current Duke of Gloucester's older deceased brother and the Queen's cousin was alleged to have had porphyria. If it wasn't that, it was something else, need to do some re-reading.

Yes, but aren't they related through another line from George III as well?

I'm sure I've seen a book or a programme :o:confused: which shows evidence to suggest that porphyria continued through the line from Victoria, the Princess Royal.

I also thought I'd seen that the reason for Prince Philip is that he is descended from the female line from Queen Victoria through her daughter, grand-daughter and great-grand-daughter which is better. The Queen's mitochondrial DNA would lead back Bowes-Lyon-wards.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Thought this over 3 nights, would be to much, but I can't wait for tonight's second part....Africa will have to be +ed.:eek:
  • katiekatie Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    Yes, but aren't they related through another line from George III as well?

I'm sure I've seen a book or a programme :o:confused: which shows evidence to suggest that porphyria continued through the line from Victoria, the Princess Royal.

I also thought I'd seen that the reason for Prince Philip is that he is descended from the female line from Queen Victoria through her daughter, grand-daughter and great-grand-daughter which is better. The Queen's mitochondrial DNA would lead back Bowes-Lyon-wards.

BIB: Try reading the book "Purple Secret: Genes, 'Madness' and the Royal Houses of Europe"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Purple-Secret-Madness-Houses-Europe/dp/0552145505/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1357145482&sr=8-6

I've got a copy somewhere, need to dig it out and read it again, it was very enjoyable and informative.

And yes, female descendent line is another reason for taking DNA from Prince Philip.
  • SadiecatSadiecat Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Looks really interesting love anything to do with Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.;)

Me too :)
    Forum Member
    Indeed, yes. When told by her doctor, after the birth of her 9th child, that she shouldn't have any more, she was quoted to have replied "Oh, does that mean no more fun in bed" (or words to that effect!)

Looking forward to this, QV is one of my favourite monarchs and I've read many books about her children as written by John Van der Kiste

Me too though it's difficult to find anything on Princess Helena
    Forum Member
    With her cousin - gross.:eek:

Quite common then
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadiecat wrote: »

There is a couple of screenful on her in the DNB.

She received a congratulatory telegram on her Golden Wedding Anniversary in 1916 from Kaiser Wilhelm II! She had five children but only one married and her marriage was dissolved without any children so the line died out.
    Forum Member
    You can marry a cousin, so it is not wrong in the eyes of the law. However, Victoria and Albert were not first cousins.

Don't forget that the Queen and Prince Philip are cousins too. I think in their case they are third cousins. They both decend from Queen Victoria.

They were first cousins Victoria's mother and Albert's father were brother and sister
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB:

It certainly is interesting about Victoria's supposed parentage, stories have been flying for ages, the porphyria allegedly stopped at her (she didn't have it or not confirmed) out with her and haemophilia appeared. However I seem to remember reading that Prince William of Gloucester, the current Duke of Gloucester's older deceased brother and the Queen's cousin was alleged to have had porphyria. If it wasn't that, it was something else, need to do some re-reading.

I have read on several occasions that Prince William of Gloucester (the Queen's cousin) had porphyria. He was killed in 1972 when the plane he was flying crashed, and it has been suggested that he had only recently found out that he had porphyria.

At one time there were rumours that Princess Margaret had porphyria, but when someone asked her outright in front of others if she did have it, she is said to have laughed and said, "No, it's not me that has it, it is Prince William of Gloucester." So it seems that it didn't disappear from the royal family at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I just finished watching this on iPlayer and although it was interesting I think having it shown over 3 nights is a bit much.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 145,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have read on several occasions that Prince William of Gloucester (the Queen's cousin) had porphyria. He was killed in 1972 when the plane he was flying crashed, and it has been suggested that he had only recently found out that he had porphyria.

At one time there were rumours that Princess Margaret had porphyria, but when someone asked her outright in front of others if she did have it, she is said to have laughed and said, "No, it's not me that has it, it is Prince William of Gloucester." So it seems that it didn't disappear from the royal family at all.

We will never know, but some members of the Royal Family must have one or the other...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    indie.star wrote: »
    I just finished watching this on iPlayer and although it was interesting I think having it shown over 3 nights is a bit much.

Are all 3 eps up on i-player????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Regarding her saying that babies were like frogs, she only said they were like frogs until they were six months old.

I must admit, I agree with her (including my own!).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What an ugly old wicked woman she turned into!!!
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find this series very interesting and like many here, I find Queen Victoria quite fascinating. But she seems quite a ghastly, unsympathetic and heartless mother.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    I find this series very interesting and like many here, I find Queen Victoria quite fascinating. But she seems quite a ghastly, unsympathetic and heartless mother.

I'm watching yesterday's episode as I write and I agree with you. A horrible woman
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    I'm watching yesterday's episode as I write and I agree with you. A horrible woman

Wait until you see tonight's episode. She gets a hundred times worse...
  • hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Is that historian a man or a woman? I know it's inappropriate, but I'm curious... :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is that historian a man or a woman? I know it's inappropriate, but I'm curious... :o

I'm wondering if it's that transgender person ;);)
  • DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    I'm wondering if it's that transgender person ;);)
    Have to admit I was wondering the same. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indie.star wrote: »

Fits well in this week when schedules are disrupted by the holidays. Certainly enough material for three programmes without the endless padding and repeating you often get. Three consecutive nights makes it easier to remember the previous programme(s).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought it was an archetypical lesbian until I saw the name. Very odd.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally forgot all about this. What channel was it on please so that i can find it on catch up.
    Thanks.
  • katiekatie Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadiecat wrote: »

I haven't read it and the reviews are not so brilliant but might be worth a try:

Helena - Princess Reclaimed: The Life and Times of Queen Victoria's 3rd Daughter [Paperback]
    Seweryn Chomet (Author)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Helena-Princess-Reclaimed-Victorias-Daughter/dp/1567001459/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357166583&sr=8-1