Most surprise gold medal..

Mark FMark F Posts: 53,834
Forum Member
Which Olympic title (legal) has come as a total surprise to you?

Greg Rutherford in the Triple jump or maybe Kelly Holmes winning 2 golds in 2004 (and of course the 4x100m guys beating the Americans)

Away from the main Olympics events getting 1-2 in the Canoe slalom was a shock last year!

Comments

• MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    Which Olympic title (legal) has come as a total surprise to you?

Greg Rutherford in the Triple jump
    Definitely, as he would have won a gold in an event he didnt even compete in.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,834
    Forum Member
    Meepers wrote: »
    Definitely, as he would have won a gold in an event he didnt even compete in.

:mad: :o
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would agree greg Rutherford was a surprise as he produced the longest jump quite early on in the competition and I was half expecting another long jumper to come along and and perform a longer distance. However, it was a special night and it was Great Britain's night on that 'Super Saturday.'
  • DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,246
    Forum Member
    Andy Murray winning gold was a huge surprise, most people thought his career was over after the Wimbledon Final 4 weeks earlier.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    Surely in track and field it had to be the Trinidadian Keshorn Walcott who won gold in men's javelin. No one saw that coming!!

A lot of pundits didn't expect Mo to win the 5000m. There were faster guys in the race and they were watching him closely after his 10000m win.

As for Greg, he was always considered to have a fair shot, as was Tomlinson, because the long jump is in the doldrums.
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    Surely in track and field it had to be the Trinidadian Keshorn Walcott who won gold in men's javelin. No one saw that coming!!

and I haven't heard much about him since...
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    and I haven't heard much about him since...
    Had to Google him. Has thrown over 84m this season and should be in Moscow. Will need a new PB to win I think but then that's what happened last time. Just stay off the dodgy supplements pal!!
    Forum Member
    True - that is the trouble.

Will he be tempted to try cheating to go further..but then the guy has won the ultimate title in athletics already.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DDRickyDD wrote: »
    Andy Murray winning gold was a huge surprise, most people thought his career was over after the Wimbledon Final 4 weeks earlier.

Winning the Olympics did wonders for his career and his self- esteem.:)