scart/hdmi audio out

Hi,

I have a t27b300ew samsung monitor that is used for both the PC and watching TV.
The sound when in freeview mode is tinny so I was wondering if I can improve it.

The TV has no audio out connector so my question is can I utilise the scart or HDMI sockets as an audio out.

I have an octiv 650 which I can use as my speaker and it has both component and audio jack inputs.

I know there are scart/HDMI to component converters so is it possible i could connect the 2 devices together for improved freeview sound? or possibly some other way I'm missing?

Comments

• soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you just use the stereo headphone socket as it will switch your TV/monitor speakers off as well?

The scart should have audio out for VCR recording. You just need a scart adapter - http://www.cables2u.co.uk/switched-scart-adaptor-svhs-scart-socket-p-399.html?gclid=CNawt8WamLYCFUbKtAodUD8AvQ
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    the TV has no headphone socket.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ktj_sbs wrote: »
    the TV has no headphone socket.
    The on-line manual shows one??
    Forum Member
    Annoying manual shows a picture of one but right under the picture it says the 300 series does not have one. I'm not at home at the moment but this is what i think the back looks like.

http://rikcomp.ru/shop/catalog/goodsfoto/original/100000/67845667.jpg
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    The SCART socket may well provide an audio line level out if it is intended to be connected to a recorder (ie VCR or DVR) which could be connected to the AUX in of any sound system using an appropriate converter lead (eg SCART to RCA red and white phono plugs).
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ktj_sbs wrote: »
    The TV has no audio out connector so my question is can I utilise the scart or HDMI sockets as an audio out.
    HDMI - No. But SCART - Yes! Well, as long as it's a fully wired SCART socket, that is.

It breaks down like this: SCART is designed as a two-way connector. However, it can be wired as an input only, or output only, or as a two-way connector.

In the days of the old CRT TVs the big lounge sets would have two or three SCARTs. One of those was usually wired as a two-way so it could be used as an output in the same way you want. The rest were wired as inputs only. The clue on the back of the set was each sockets SCART logo. Two-way sockets had a rectangle with a double-headed arrow indication both way traffic.

Your manual mentions something called DTV Out on page 15. So there's a chance that this could work for you.

Buy one of these switched SCART to phono adapters and add whatever phono to xxxx lead you need for connection in the the speaker kit. The switch allows you to easily test the SCART in both options. If the TV socket has the wiring then one of the two switch settings will work.
    Forum Member
    brilliant. just before reading your post i had spotted this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0018DE4ZU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll give it a go as its very cheap.