Who'll score new Star Wars films?

ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'd read that John Williams was in semi-retirement and just wondered, if he decides not to score the forthcoming Trilogy, who would be a fitting replacement?

I would go with Michael Giacchino. I thought his score for the Star Trek (2009) movie was great. Can't see Hans Zimmer taking on the challenge - not his style. Howard Shore?

May all be academic, if Williams does return for the movies, but interested in your views.

Comments

• Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    even before, I came into your thread but saw the title, I immediately thought of the same as yourself

Michael Giacchino- thinks he understands classical music in film/tv better than most and could certainly do it,

he practically sounds like John Williams in sections of Super 8
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malcolm Ashton?
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    If he's not tied up with Peter Jackson flicks, Howard Shore.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have some left field choices.
    David Newman, Ramin Djawadi, Graeme Revell, Michael Beltrami (Love Up's music)

Other then them I would love Howard Shore too.
  • Stephen_SimpsonStephen_Simpson Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a fresh unknown would be something new to Star Wars rather than an established name with an established sound.
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ramin Djawadi. I'd second that one, as his scores for Game of Thrones are superb. Maybe Bear Mcreary (?) for his BSG efforts, perhaps?

It's gonna be a very hard task to follow in John Williams footsteps, if that's on the cards. Alan Silvestri is a fairly safe pair of hands, although was disappointed with his Avengers score.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    ASIFZED wrote: »
    Ramin Djawadi. I'd second that one, as his scores for Game of Thrones are superb. Maybe Bear Mcreary (?) for his BSG efforts, perhaps?

It's gonna be a very hard task to follow in John Williams footsteps, if that's on the cards. Alan Silvestri is a fairly safe pair of hands, although was disappointed with his Avengers score.

Loved his music for BSG, but I guess it depends on whether they see these new films as a continuation or more of a reboot as to who they pick.

They could always pick Danny Elfman. The version they did of the Star Wars theme in his style on Family Guy would cause a meltdown on forums if they actually did use it on the new Star Wars films :D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    I know he is not to everyones taste, but how about David Arnold? Aside from his love or hate it Bond music, he did score the original Stargate movie, and Independence Day.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesse Harlin and Mark Griskey!

The most original John Williams sounding music I've ever heard was created for The Force Unleased I and II.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Will-I-Am

*runs for cover* :D
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Rob Dougan and Don Davis

From "The Matrix Reloaded" soundtrack, listen to "Mona Lisa Overdrive" to the Millennium Falcon asteroid chase from Empire Strikes Back or "Chateau" to the Anakin vs Obi-Wan lightsabre battle for example... :D
  • unknown17unknown17 Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skrillex
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny Elfman? As long as we keep him out of the minor key, we should be okay....