Antiques Roadshow Expert Death

deernessjimdeernessjim Posts: 28
Forum Member
Did anyone notice the In Memoriam caption at the end of tonight's Antiques Roadshow for the jewellery expert Alice Montagu Douglas Scott? She apparently died in 2012 at only 34 years of age, but there is absolutely nothing on the web about her death other than a memorial service in February of this year, not even an obituary Very unusual, especially as she appears to have been a member of the nobility and a Sotheby's jewellery expert.

Comments

• curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I didn't see that, how very sad .
  • EastEnders-1105EastEnders-1105 Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just typed her name in and it says shes a Duchess and died in 2004 in Kensington?

shame
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to offer my condolences to her family and friends. May she rest in peace.
  • deernessjimdeernessjim Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Just typed her name in and it says shes a Duchess and died in 2004 in Kensington?

shame

No, that was a relative with the same name (close royal connections) and she was 102 years old.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

shame

If you look in the DNB you will see that one was born 1901.
  • EastEnders-1105EastEnders-1105 Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    I found this on http://peeragenews.blogspot.com/2013_02_01_archive.html. She was listed under her married name, Gibson-Watt, but I couldn't find a proper obituary.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Alice Amaryllis Gibson-Watt 1978-2012 (nee Montagu Douglas Scott)

Alice Amaryllis Gibson-Watt (nee Montagu Douglas Scott), who has died aged 34, was a scion of the Dukes of Bucceluch & Queensberry (Duke, Peerage of Scot, cr 1684).

She was born in 1978, the only child of Thomas Walter Montagu Douglas Scott (born 1 July, 1943), by his former wife the Hon Marion Miranda Phillimore (b 9 May, 1946), a daughter of the 4th Baron Phillimore (1911-94) (Peerage of the UK, cr 1918), and married in 2005, Anthony David Gibson-Watt (b 1975), scion of that landed family and grandson of the life peer, Lord Gibson-Watt, son of the Hon Robin Gibson-Watt (b 1949), by his wife the former Marcia Susan Cary (b 1949, scion of the Cary Baronets,Bt, UK, cr 1955), by whom she had one child, a daughter, Chiara Charlotte, who was born 11 Oct, 2012.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I would like to offer my condolences to her family and friends. May she rest in peace.
    Same here ^
    I had no idea she had passed away. It's very sad news,
    Neither had I realised that David Barby had died until a few weeks ago and that was sad too as he was one of my favourite Bargain Hunt experts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I believe Alice died giving birth or shortly after. You will see in the link that she had a daughter in October 2012 around the time she passed away. Tragic circumstances and a good reason to keep it out of the public view. I hope the family forgives me for posting this.
    http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/births/155269/gibson-watt
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone notice the In Memoriam caption at the end of tonight's Antiques Roadshow for the jewellery expert Alice Montagu Douglas Scott? She apparently died in 2012 at only 34 years of age, but there is absolutely nothing on the web about her death other than a memorial service in February of this year, not even an obituary Very unusual, especially as she appears to have been a member of the nobility and a Sotheby's jewellery expert.

I noticed this as well and looked up it up but kept finding the Duchess who died in 2004. Very sad and so young. RIP.
  • mariegriffithsmariegriffiths Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    I was enjoying her evaluations and wanted to see more of her. So sad and such a young age to go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I spotted the tribute and have been wondering what on earth had happened - Alice caught my eye as she seemed like such a nice person and I was immensely saddened by the news of her death at such a young age. How tragic that she didn't live to see her daughter grow up. You don't think tragedies like this happen any more. So so sad.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sotheby's have nominated APP (Action Postpartum Psychosis) as its charity for 2013, in memory of Alice.

http://www.app-network.org/news-events/fundraising/

Tragic event for the family.

RIP
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may be a bit morbid but I've found the tributes by her father & father in law

http://www.bembridgesc.org/alicegw.pdf

There was an obituary in the Times as well
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How terribly sad for all concerned. I hope the family find some peace in their lives. RIP.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Sotheby's have nominated APP (Action Postpartum Psychosis) as its charity for 2013, in memory of Alice.

http://www.app-network.org/news-events/fundraising/

Tragic event for the family.

RIP

So it looked like she topped herself.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but everyone else was too sensitive to mention it. But this is DigitalSpy so merely wait a few minutes...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »

Very tactful :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »

So far from the truth and so uninformed.