Tesco Hudl...don't believe the hype

Having had a Tesco Hudl for over a month now, I have to say that I am generally disappointed.

I had to return the thing just a few days after purchase, as it kept cutting out. the tech desk in Tesco Stafford store argued that I was at fault, but after we stood our ground and demanded action they magically shuffled it into the back office, emerging ten minutes later having 'reset' it by poking a pen into a hole on the back...couldn't make it up, really!

clearly it had been sold in unsatisfactory state.

Since then, it has been sporadic at best. You are often unable to use the UTube app, and the Google search is less than reliable at busier times.

The machine has a clunky aura, like an old netbook I had seven years ago.

The worst part is how unresponsive it is to touch. You have to really jab it at least four times to get it to click onto something. all rather disappointing, not what I had expected.

I have to say that I find my powerful HP laptop is infinitely easier to use with my Plusnet broadband and never kicks me off, !like the tablet does.

I am interested to hear what others have found with their Hudl.

Comments

• mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've played about with my brothers Hudl and it's a very good piece of kit. He's disabled all the preloaded Tesco stuff and it's very responsive and I didn't experience any lag. It's so good I'm even considering picking one up to replace my first gen iPad.

Sounds like you were sold a pup, these things can happen with any mass produced tech item including, shock horror, Apple products.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, you can get a bad'un with any bit of kit. My first Kindle Paperwhite had to go back because the battery couldn't hold a charge for more than a few hours without even being used. The replacement has been fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    I use mine everyday, all day at work. Bought it to use as an mp3 player & dvd/mp4 player. Not let me down once in 4 months, battery lasts around 3 days per charge with 24hr (8 hrs per day) mp3 playback & 120mins of video. Keep mine in a hudl case and transport in original box. Always keep headphones plugged in to try and avoid the headphone socket breaking.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what hype?

had mine since day of release, also disabled all tesco's stuff & i still love it.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having had a Tesco Hudl for over a month now, I have to say that I am generally disappointed.

Since then, it has been sporadic at best. You are often unable to use the UTube app, and the Google search is less than reliable at busier times.
    There's your problem right there. It's because of the U.

^_^
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought two, one each for both of my sons.

The one used by my youngest starting flipping out a bit (unreliable touch screen). Staff in store were brilliant (I used to date one of them!!!), very helpful. Catch was that you have to get some sort of return code - some idiotic corporate policy specifically directed at the Hudl.

Replacement has been absolutely fine, same with the one used by my oldest.

Screen is good, speakers are fine, its reasonably fast. Still definitely good value for money.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You clearly have a dud but generally Hudl is a terrific gadget. Apart from the screen occasionally not responding, there isn't much to complain about.
    Apple and co should hang their heads in shame (assuming they know what shame actually is) at their ludicrously overpriced toys.
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a Hudl as my first ever tablet,with little or no knowledge of this stuff: found it a doddle to use, and everything on it works fine. Have heard reports of a few duff ones out there but with any mass produced item this is going to happen!
    My grandughter was given a Samsung Galaxy shortly after I got the Hudl, and for such a respected name, it does nothing that the Hudl does not do,or cannot do! I guess you just got unlucky!
  • patrice58patrice58 Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    artnada wrote: »
    There's your problem right there. It's because of the U.

^_^

That should not of made me laugh but it did. :-)
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    You clearly have a dud but generally Hudl is a terrific gadget. Apart from the screen occasionally not responding, there isn't much to complain about.
    Apple and co should hang their heads in shame (assuming they know what shame actually is) at their ludicrously overpriced toys.

I would have thought that was quite a major malfunction on a touchscreen product ?
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought that was quite a major malfunction on a touchscreen product ?

Not really. It happens very occasionally so not worth getting out of the pram about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    Not really. It happens very occasionally so not worth getting out of the pram about.

Fair enough. But it's never happened on my iPad 2 in all the time I've had it. I will probably be accused of being a "fanboy" but I have been impressed with my iPad. It's the only Apple product I own, but it also remains one of the only bits of technology I've ever had that has been completely trouble-free.

Mind you, just saying that is probably asking for trouble. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough. But it's never happened on my iPad 2 in all the time I've had it. I will probably be accused of being a "fanboy" but I have been impressed with my iPad. It's the only Apple product I own, but it also remains one of the only bits of technology I've ever had that has been completely trouble-free.

I've had random, unresponsive, screen issues on pretty much every touchscreen product I've owned, including but not limited to the HTC TyTN 1 & 2, HTC Hero, iPad (definitely not trouble free), S1 & S3. Haven't had it on the Hudl yet but I'm sure it'll come and they're dealt with easily enough.
    Obviously, if it was a regular occurrence then I'd be taking a product back but it certainly seems the nature of the beast.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It definitely sounds like a dud. There was large thread here with a lot of owners who were well pleased with their tab and giving advice and tips to others. If it was a common fault we'd have seen a lot more complaints in that thread?
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 14,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You've been lucky like most hudl owners are.

Apple products aren't trouble-free - my iPhone 4s is a mess since the OS 7 update and I can't wait for my next upgrade.

This forum is also full of threads created by OPs having issues with their iPads.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Bunions wrote: »

Apple products aren't trouble-free - my iPhone 4s is a mess since the OS 7 update and I can't wait for my next upgrade.

This forum is also full of threads created by OPs having issues with their iPads.

But most iPhone/iPad owners don't have problems either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    But most iPhone/iPad owners don't have problems either.
    Well considering what they cost, I'm surprised there are the amount of problems that I see posted about on here.
    Forum Member
    Well considering what they cost, I'm surprised there are the amount of problems that I see posted about on here.

Are there that many problems though? On here there will be a few complaints but there are millions of them sold.

Looking at a Technical Forum where people come to solve problems you are always going get people with problems but that does not mean there are lots of problems generally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Are there that many problems though? On here there will be a few complaints but there are millions of them sold.

Looking at a Technical Forum where people come to solve problems you are always going get people with problems but that does not mean there are lots of problems generally.
    I've no idea what it means.

It's an observation I've made based on what I've seen posted on this forum that I found surprising, that's all I'm saying.

Because of the huge cost of buying an Apple product, I would have assumed that complaints about them would be minimal.

I was on the iOS 7 thread and that was the first time realised that I was not alone in having my iPhone 4 stuffed-up.

I'm underwhelmed with Apple, personally but each to their own.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    I've had random, unresponsive, screen issues on pretty much every touchscreen product I've owned, including but not limited to the HTC TyTN 1 & 2, HTC Hero, iPad (definitely not trouble free), S1 & S3. Haven't had it on the Hudl yet but I'm sure it'll come and they're dealt with easily enough.
    Obviously, if it was a regular occurrence then I'd be taking a product back but it certainly seems the nature of the beast.

I guess it's just a matter of luck really. Though generally (not always) its been my experience that you get what you pay for. I wasn't talking about tablets specifically, but consumer technology in general. I had a Sharp tv years ago, nothing but trouble, it had to be changed three times. Since then I've always gone with Panasonic, no problems at all, they would probably outlast me if I didn't want to upgrade.
    My experience (so far) has been the same with Apple, but I'm perfectly willing to admit that I've probably been lucky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess it's just a matter of luck really. Though generally (not always) its been my experience that you get what you pay for. I wasn't talking about tablets specifically, but consumer technology in general. I had a Sharp tv years ago, nothing but trouble, it had to be changed three times. Since then I've always gone with Panasonic, no problems at all, they would probably outlast me if I didn't want to upgrade.
    My experience (so far) has been the same with Apple, but I'm perfectly willing to admit that I've probably been lucky.
    Yes but Apple take over 50% profit on goods such as the iPhone so the 'get what you pay for' thing you quoted is misleading.

You're not paying a premium for the product because of how much it costs to produce, you're paying what you do because of what Apple want to charge you.
    Forum Member
    Because of the huge cost of buying an Apple product, I would have assumed that complaints about them would be minimal..

But like I said - I believe the complaints are minimal.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same with my 4S. Catch is that its a work supplied device, and my department would have to pay for the upgrade. I just have to pray that the battery fails on the little PoS, then I can get a replacement.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    Surely there are way and means of inducing a total and final failure without running over it in your car?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Surely there are way and means of inducing a total and final failure without running over it in your car?

Microwave? ;)

Anyway, I've owned Apple products of various shapes and sizes since 2000, they have just the same chance of borking as anything else. Some folk never have problems (or, as with many fanatics, say they don't until they stop and actually think about it...), some folk have endless problems, I've been hit and miss but it's basic law of averages as with any mass produced piece of tech.