Sumvision Cyclone Primus wrong screen resolution

Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I recently bought a Sumvision Cyclone Primus but cannot get it to completely fill the screen.

Connected to LCD TV via AV connection but the screen either has borders on the left and right or when it fills the screen it is stretched.

Can't get it right in any way.

Does anyone have one of these?

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,271
    Forum Member
    What format do you have the box set to, and what format is the TV set to?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume you have a 4:3 aspect ratio source and a 16:9 aspect ratio display. In which case the first display mode with bars either side is correct.

To fill the screen you either have to stretch the image horizontally or crop a 16:9 portion from the centre and use that. Which loses some detail top and bottom of the image.

But you also need to check the settings on the Sumvision to make sure it is set to the correct output. If it has a TV Type option or similar make sure that is set to 16:9 to match the TV you are using. If you set it to 4:3 then that is what it will output and may crop 16:9 material to suit a 4:3 frame.
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What format do you have the box set to, and what format is the TV set to?

Box and TV set on auto detect.

Seems I have to manually adjust primus resolution and LCD TV resolution every time I want to watch something in the correct aspect ratio.

It does not auto detect resolution settings, either that or I have a faulty unit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also how are the two units connected? You say you are using the AV connections but does that mean SCART or a set of Phono sockets?

SCART does have the ability to signal whether the source is 4:3 or 16:9 but that may not be possible over Composite video.
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Also how are the two units connected? You say you are using the AV connections but does that mean SCART or a set of Phono sockets?

SCART does have the ability to signal whether the source is 4:3 or 16:9 but that may not be possible over Composite video.

Connected from box to TV via red, yellow and white leads.

Is that AV?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fowl Fax wrote: »
    Connected from box to TV via red, yellow and white leads.

Is that AV?
    Well technically AV stands for Audio Video in this context so anything that carries an Audio and Video signal is AV.

What you have is Composite Video (yellow) and Stereo Audio (red & white). If you have the option of SCART then that has additional wires that signal to the TV whether the video is in 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio and the TV should switch automatically.

Using the connection you are this might not be an option. Hence why you have to manually switch aspect ratios. There is provision for using a spare line in the video signal to signal the aspect ratio to the TV but that relies on the Sumvision inserting it and the TV detecting it.
  • Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Old thread I know but I have a similar set up and was wondering would an AV Composite out to Scart into TV lead help with switching of signal re resolution?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeppelyn56 wrote: »
    Old thread I know but I have a similar set up and was wondering would an AV Composite out to Scart into TV lead help with switching of signal re resolution?
    SCART to SCART leads have a specific pin dedicated to switching aspect ratio (not the same thing as resolution by the way :) ) That pin is obviously not connected if you use a SCART to three phono plug lead/adapter. So therefore cannot be used to switch aspect ratio.

However there is provision to embed a code in one of the spare lines of the video signal that does the same job. Provided that is that both the source device and the TV support it. If neither, or only one, support it then there will be no aspect ratio switching.