Celebs who act nice in the spotlight but are horrible in person

Comments

• 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Linda Robson, Liam Gallagher and Jamie T are lovely (I met the latter in a pub).

Alex Turner, whose music I love, seemed to be a bit out of it and came across as more awkward than rude.
  • dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lector wrote: »
    Jean Jaques Burnel - Very nice despite the Stranglers image - signed an autograph with his prison number (he had been arrested in France the night before)

Excellent! :D
  • 0100110101001101 Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I am aware of the rumours about Jimmy Savile, but think the rumours should be offset against the known facts, which do genuinely involve raising a vast sum for charity.

This post from October 2010 hasn't aged very well!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Family friend worked in Hollywood years ago and said Frank Sinatra, Maureen O'Hara, Vivien Leigh were nice.

Some of the guys from the TV shows of the 1960/70s were not nice especially Leif Erikson and Michael Landon. But Linda Crystal and Lorne Greene especially was a lovely.
  • Green KnickersGreen Knickers Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1745274 TOWIES Gemma Collins according to a London nightclub waitress.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forgot too add Georg C Scott, Fred Astair, Robert Montgomery, Gene Kelly, Bing Crosby, Susan Hayward could be horrible but she always said the people whom were nice to work with either by her or friends (staff liked to talk) Barbra Stanwick (or Missy - some crew called her) Bob Mitchum was a sweetheart, Ava Gardner although never met him she heard Clarke Gable was lovely. Liz Taylor was ok.
  • Green KnickersGreen Knickers Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meryl Streep is apparently as lovely off camera as she is on camera .She always struck me as a decent geniune good soul.
  • pete32pete32 Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Some of the earlier posts about a certain J. Saville and what might emerge after his death were very interesting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I've met Justin Bieber. He's lovely :)
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive met Stefan Dennis - Paul Robinson in Neighbours, he is lovely.
  • PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ;):D when jimmy dies DS will go into meltdown with the stuff that will cum out. :D

But why oh why oh why did his victims have to wait so long if this is so well known (to some - I had no idea)?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Peter Kay is a bit of a knob. Dave Spikey is a lovely fella.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    highlight wrote: »
    Forgot too add Georg C Scott, Fred Astair, Robert Montgomery, Gene Kelly, Bing Crosby, Susan Hayward could be horrible but she always said the people whom were nice to work with either by her or friends (staff liked to talk) Barbra Stanwick (or Missy - some crew called her) Bob Mitchum was a sweetheart, Ava Gardner although never met him she heard Clarke Gable was lovely. Liz Taylor was ok.

Yes, Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly were always apparently gentleman in real life, and not horrible at all. They were both extremely hard working, and were perfectionists when it came to their dancing - thank goodness, or we might not have all the amazing footage and films that we still have of them nowadays.

Clark Gable was always popular with the film crews who worked with him, because he treated them very well.

William Holden was apparently a gentleman, although ravaged by alcohol.

George C Scott was not a nice man. Ava Gardner said that he physically abused her and broke her arm. Maybe he didn, maybe he didn't but she certainly didn't accuse any of her other high profile partners of physically abusing her.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Meryl Streep is apparently as lovely off camera as she is on camera .She always struck me as a decent geniune good soul.

That doesn't surprise me at all. You usually find that the people who are genuinely supremely talented and very, very 'Double A' class are the most humble and friendly.

Other side of the coin is Cilla Black, etc - 'C' list celebrity at best and yet believes she is something better.
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ;):D when jimmy dies DS will go into meltdown with the stuff that will cum out. :D

Are you from the future?
  • mellybumpsmellybumps Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    If anyone remembers the 80's kids show "Maid Marian and Her Merry Men" I met Gary the knight from the show at a play that was on in my home town when the school took us there. In the interval me and a few friends (we were all about 14, this was about 1994/5) all went over to him and asked for his autograph. We were all polite but he flatly refused to sign autographs, and i see his career has really taken off since then :rolleyes:

Philip Franks however (Charlie from the Darling Buds of May) was the director and couldn't have been nicer, chatted to us all and signed autographs.

Met the woman who played Elizabeth the nervous next door neighbour in Keeping Up Appearances when she came into the shop I was working in (1996-ish). She was pretty posh and formal but polite, I was too scared to say I recognised her lol.

Also met Abi Titmuss and the bloke who played Martin Fowler in Eastenders at a meet and greet type thing at a local club and they were both great. She agreed to sign me and my friends' chests hahaha.
  • lolacolalolacola Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Jamie Oliver was pretty rude when my friend met him. Although that might have been down to the fact my friend gave him a picture of Gino Dacampo to sign.

I met three of the Mcfly boys at a charity dinner in Bolton a few years back. They were all lovely. Took time to talk to everyone that came up to them. They were there with their girlfriends who were just as nice. All three happily took pictures of the guys with fans.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bookaddict wrote: »
    Yes, Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly were always apparently gentleman in real life, and not horrible at all. They were both extremely hard working, and were perfectionists when it came to their dancing - thank goodness, or we might not have all the amazing footage and films that we still have of them nowadays.

Clark Gable was always popular with the film crews who worked with him, because he treated them very well.

William Holden was apparently a gentleman, although ravaged by alcohol.

George C Scott was not a nice man. Ava Gardner said that he physically abused her and broke her arm. Maybe he didn, maybe he didn't but she certainly didn't accuse any of her other high profile partners of physically abusing her.

From what I heard Fred Astair and Gene Kelly could be not nice at times at home - the person I know worked in a domestic post and heard a lot of things that happened in famous people's homes which probably one wouldn't have heard about - she was witness herself to something's. She used to say the rich and famous were a law on to themselves and one would be surprised of the things that went on.

Also a lot of directors could be far worse and be very cruel.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I heard Fred Astair and Gene Kelly could be not nice at times at home - the person I know worked in a domestic post and heard a lot of things that happened in famous people's homes which probably one wouldn't have heard about - she was witness herself to something's. She used to say the rich and famous were a law on to themselves and one would be surprised of the things that went on.

Also a lot of directors could be far worse and be very cruel.

Well, I can certainly believe that about them being a law unto themselves!! Your source probably is privy to more than me, but I have only heard good things about Astaire and Kelly. By his own admittance, Kelly was a hard taskmaster - he worked extremely hard himself, and expected the same level of commitment from others. But he was also known to be very loyal, very honest and a decent man. I have never heard anything about Fred Astaire other than that he was a perfect gentleman. Again, I'm not disputing what you're saying, but just saying what I've heard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bookaddict wrote: »
    Well, I can certainly believe that about them being a law unto themselves!! Your source probably is privy to more than me, but I have only heard good things about Astaire and Kelly. By his own admittance, Kelly was a hard taskmaster - he worked extremely hard himself, and expected the same level of commitment from others. But he was also known to be very loyal, very honest and a decent man. I have never heard anything about Fred Astaire other than that he was a perfect gentleman. Again, I'm not disputing what you're saying, but just saying what I've heard.

I know you are not disputing it. :) It's weird because one knows more about the American Presidents private lives and what they were like - but the Hollywood machine from the times of the Studio era were that good at engineering profiles one will never who these people were. They would manufacture best friends actors, wives, romances that never happened even enemies. You have to admire the movie moguls even if one doesn't like them.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,169
    Forum Member
    Forgot too add Georg C Scott, Fred Astair, Robert Montgomery, Gene Kelly, Bing Crosby, Susan Hayward could be horrible but she always said the people whom were nice to work with either by her or friends (staff liked to talk) Barbara Stanwyck (or Missy - some crew called her) Bob Mitchum was a sweetheart, Ava Gardner although never met him she heard Clarke Gable was lovely. Liz Taylor was ok.

I can certainly confirm that Barbara Stanwyck was a genuine and quite humble lady. I met her when I went to a tribute for her at The Lincoln Centre, New York in 1981.

I introduced myself and told her that I had come all the way from London just to see her in the flesh. She got up out of her chair and said, "Well, after you have come all that way we must have a photo taken together," and she out her arms around me and posed for a photo. It is usually a fact that the bigger they are the nicer they are. :)
  • alimialimi Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband is manager for a wholesale company that sells to the building trade, primarily Electricians. Depending on the size of the order and how often you order from that company there is always some scope to get the best price and that is the same whether a celebrity or you and I.

Anyway, James Jordon (from strictly come dancing) Was doing up his house and initially hubby dealt with his builders, whom were all pleasant and he helped negotiate the best price. Got him a really good deal and the company delivered everything onsite and on time. Mr Jordan still felt the need to phone several times being vile and using the "do you know who I am" line to try and get the price down My hubby still cant watch that programme.

Total contrast, Richard Hammond. Again doing up his apparently huge property. Hubby only dealt with the tradespeople as per norm and gave them the best price he could for the job. Soon after the job was complete Richard came into my hubbys work with crates of beer for all the staff and thanked them. On his own and a totally surprise visit, he even stayed and chatted and had a laugh with all the staff
  • RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goldiloks wrote: »
    Peter Kay I have heard.

Disagree completely. Probably everyone has their bad days
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dame Nellie Melba and Sir Harry Lauder were like two peas in a pod - so obliging and couldn't do enough for you. Bless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Many of the posts here seem to be about celebs and autographs... It would drive me potty to sign autographs all the time...

Thank god I'm not a celeb.. :D

I'll go get my coat.... :(