The Dumping Ground - CBBC

Comments

• HMOHMO Posts: 42,141
    Forum Member
    -leah- wrote: »
    Oh, I hope so! That'd be great to see. The Dumping Ground definitely needs a wider audience!

It's strange to be on Digital Spy now having followed this thread for so long! Nice though. :) Oh, and I hope that didn't sound odd, heh...!

Nothing wrong with that - at least this thread is livening up a bit more now as there is a while to go until the next series.

We need 3,000 posts usually for a part 2 but many threads go well over that limit. Either way, the more often we keep this on the first page, more people view it and gain an interest, which could boost the viewing figures for the next series :)

I've done some calculations - the first series averaged 501,000 viewers. Compared with:

487,000 for the first series of Wizards vs Aliens.
    497,000 for the first series of Tracy Beaker Returns
    421,000 for the first series of Sarah Jane Adventures

Though the Sarah Jane Adventures series average can't really be used much for comparison because it had 10 episodes, and WvA had 12, whereas TBR and TDG had 13.

But, in reality, it did pretty well. It was pretty much at the top of the viewing figures among children and for the kids channels most weeks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that - at least this thread is livening up a bit more now as there is a while to go until the next series.

We need 3,000 posts usually for a part 2 but many threads go well over that limit. Either way, the more often we keep this on the first page, more people view it and gain an interest, which could boost the viewing figures for the next series :)

I've done some calculations - the first series averaged 501,000 viewers. Compared with:

487,000 for the first series of Wizards vs Aliens.
    497,000 for the first series of Tracy Beaker Returns
    421,000 for the first series of Sarah Jane Adventures

Though the Sarah Jane Adventures series average can't really be used much for comparison because it had 10 episodes, and WvA had 12, whereas TBR and TDG had 13.

But, in reality, it did pretty well. It was pretty much at the top of the viewing figures among children and for the kids channels most weeks.

Indeed, I'll be happy to help! I spend way too much time online. :P

Hey, it did quite well! Unfortunately I was watching the episodes on iPlayer so my view won't count. Hmm!
    Forum Member
    Indeed, I'll be happy to help! I spend way too much time online. :P

Hey, it did quite well! Unfortunately I was watching the episodes on iPlayer so my view won't count. Hmm!

iPlayer views do count towards the official figure but only up to 7 days after the broadcast. For example, the figure that you see the day after the programme would be 500k - with iPlayer viewings over the next 7 days (via TV, they don't count computer viewings yet) and recordings accounted, that figure can rise. That makes up the official figure which is far more important and usually larger.
    Forum Member
    iPlayer views do count towards the official figure but only up to 7 days after the broadcast. For example, the figure that you see the day after the programme would be 500k - with iPlayer viewings over the next 7 days (via TV, they don't count computer viewings yet) and recordings accounted, that figure can rise. That makes up the official figure which is far more important and usually larger.

Interesting. Darn, I watch them via the laptop! Oh well, I'll have to get my parents to watch it for me sometime so that 'my' view counts. As you can tell, I'm not that good with technology when it comes to the television - I'll have to admit that I am more of a bookworm, but If I really like a TV series then I thoroughly enjoy it. Right, that's good!
    Forum Member
    Each episode (well, most of them) was at #1 on BBC iPlayer for a few days after the episode aired - TDG above the likes of EastEnders :D

I wish we saw more of Rick though, he didn't participate as much compared to other characters.
    Forum Member
    Ah, yes, I had noticed! I was pleased to see that.

Yup. I can't say Rick is among my favourites (he's a 'middle' character for me - along with the likes of Jody and Carmen) but I did enjoy his centre episode. Episode 8, wasn't it? But yes, I find his history pretty interesting.
    Forum Member
    His voice is pretty deep as well.

If you thought Faith being in a gang on EastEnders was bad, Lily has only gone and gotten a belly button piercing :D:o

On the other hand, would like to see the likes of Jackie, or Lol & Bouncer make an appearance.
    Forum Member
    Yes. I was so shocked when I heard his and Gus' voices for the first time in this series!

Ha! Unfortunately I didn't see Faith on EastEnders - I don't tend to watch soaps! I did watch Eleni Foskett (Kitty) when she was on Coronation Street though. It was strange to hear her talking!

I'd like to see Jackie again. I haven't watched The Story of Tracy Beaker for quite a while but she was one of my favourite characters.
    Forum Member
    I did watch Eleni Foskett (Kitty) when she was on Coronation Street though. It was strange to hear her talking!

She was in 4 O'Clock Club as well, where she also spoke a bit :)

Wonder if Kitty will ever make a return though.
    Forum Member
    Oh yes, I watched that too!

Ah, I hope that she does... it's unlikely though, which is a shame. They could have had such a good storyline with her background and trying to make her trust people again... *sigh* She's still my favourite character.
    Forum Member
    I've probably mentioned this before but I like Gina's comical rage :D

I'm not entirely sure about the editing though - I believe the team who produce/film TDG are the same as TBR, if you remember when Carmen and Johnny got into a fight (series 2 opener), sounds were coming out from Carmen (such as "don't you ever hit me again") but her mouth wasn't moving. Same with 'A Day in the Past' as the sound was a bit out of sync when Mike was trying to drag Johnny away from Lily (yelling 'stop' and whatever).

I think 'Baby' has to be my least favorite episode because the plots were quite unsettling, despite the rather heartwarming ending (on both plots). 'A Day in the Past' second least favorite because it didn't seem as there was actually a proper happy/moral ending regarding them at that house, it would have been better to see what would have happened had they swapped.
    Forum Member
    Oh, and Connor Byrne (Mike) just tweeted that he won't be in the next series :eek::(
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No! Mike is the glue that holds the Dumping Ground together!
  • emmerfarmeremmerfarmer Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Oh, and Connor Byrne (Mike) just tweeted that he won't be in the next series :eek::(

Why is Mike leaving?
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    They better brig back Dave then :eek:...
    Forum Member
    Why is Mike leaving?

This is what Connor tweeted:

"It is with a heavy heart ....and an empty pocket that I have to tell you that I will not be doing the next series of "The Dumping Ground"..."

"one door closes and another opens".....or is a case of "one door closes and a...oh shite, I'm locked out...and I'm naked...in the snow...."

"@JayTwittOR No....time to move on... #nextchallenge"

I wonder how they'll disguise it (saying why he's not there) - say he died and they focus a whole episode around it? :eek::o - probably not.
    Forum Member
    Sex wrote: »

Dave?
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually shocked! I didn't see this coming at all. I'm really sad to hear that Mike won't be in the next series of The Dumping Ground. I guess this means he will have an offscreen exit which is sad. I would have liked to see him at least get an onscreen exit. Mike is a great character and Connor has played the role brilliantly for the past 10 years, I wish him the best for the future. I'm really going to miss him. :(
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sex wrote: »

Dave? You mean Duke? I can't see coming back as he left after Series 4 of TSOTB.:(
  • Ben_FreemanBen_Freeman Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    I wish mike could of had an on screen exit wonder why he's left
    Forum Member
    Ben, if you read Connor's tweets above, it should give you an idea as to why he decided to leave.

They will have to pull something impressive out of the bag next series if they want it to continue to be a success. They need a new care worker that many people will warm to.

I'm on DS way too much - 8,000th post :D
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    Yea I meant duke:o:D

Your up early.. You think you spend too much time on DS :D
    Forum Member
    It's 9am, and I'm usually here for the ratings for whatever was on yesterday :D

Duke left in TSOTB in series 4 - I think the only hope is Nathan as that'll bring back a 'nostalgic' feeling for the older people who watched TSOTB when they were younger.
    Forum Member
    I've probably mentioned this before but I like Gina's comical rage :D

I'm not entirely sure about the editing though - I believe the team who produce/film TDG are the same as TBR, if you remember when Carmen and Johnny got into a fight (series 2 opener), sounds were coming out from Carmen (such as "don't you ever hit me again") but her mouth wasn't moving. Same with 'A Day in the Past' as the sound was a bit out of sync when Mike was trying to drag Johnny away from Lily (yelling 'stop' and whatever).

I think 'Baby' has to be my least favorite episode because the plots were quite unsettling, despite the rather heartwarming ending (on both plots). 'A Day in the Past' second least favorite because it didn't seem as there was actually a proper happy/moral ending regarding them at that house, it would have been better to see what would have happened had they swapped.

I don't really like the editing regarding the fight scenes. And yes, I agree, I'd have liked to have seen them swap around!
    Forum Member
    This is what Connor tweeted:

"It is with a heavy heart ....and an empty pocket that I have to tell you that I will not be doing the next series of "The Dumping Ground"..."

"one door closes and another opens".....or is a case of "one door closes and a...oh shite, I'm locked out...and I'm naked...in the snow...."

"@JayTwittOR No....time to move on... #nextchallenge"

I wonder how they'll disguise it (saying why he's not there) - say he died and they focus a whole episode around it? :eek::o - probably not.

NO! They can't get rid of Mike! *sighs*