Great British Railway Journeys: Series 4

bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With Michael Portillo, starts at 6:30pm on BBC2 and BBC HD on Monday 7th January 2013, for 25, half hour episodes, to be shown on consecutive weekday (Monday to Friday) nights throughout January and into February.

This is absolutely great news. Love this programme.

Although I don't know the destinations for all 25 programmes, I know the first five, which are:-

Monday 7.1.13 ~ High Wycombe to Stratford Upon Avon
Tuesday 8.1.13 ~ Birmingham to Stafford
Wednesday 9.1.13 ~ Stoke on Trent to Winsford
Thursday 10.1.13 ~ Dudley to Bridgenorth
Friday 11.1.13 ~ Welshpool to Aberystwyth

Enjoy !!! :cool: .

Comments

• James HattsJames Hatts Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    6. Portsmouth to Gomshall
    7. Woking to Clapham Junction
    8. London Victoria to Abbey Wood
    9. London Kings Cross to Peterborough
    10. Spalding to Grimsby
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonderful series (and I'm not even interested in trains but always watch it)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that I always miss them first time round.

A superb series with a brilliant presenter.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovely bit of tea-time telly for me:)

I've tried to get friends to watch it, but sadly they can't get past it being Micheal Portillo:(
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Lovely bit of tea-time telly for me:)

I've tried to get friends to watch it, but sadly they can't get past it being Micheal Portillo:(

Your friends are being narrow minded, they should forget his politics as he is a great presenter. And he's even admitted he would have been a much better politician if he'd done this programme, with the influence of the people he's met, beforehand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think most people very quickly got past him being an-ex Tory politician. The number of Liberal supporters who said during the first series that they couldn't help but like him was funny.

It was also Portillo who saved the Settle to Carlisle railway route so we have to thank him for that.

His politics doesn't come into the show at all - the odd comment here and there from people on screen but he doesn't have any airs and graces about him and treats everyone with interest and respect and gets it in return.
  • redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will look forward to this, always a very enjoyable show
  • treetreetreetree Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so looking forward to this with Bradshaw's in hand :p
    love this x
    and looking forward to the green and pink combo LOL
  • Jingle_JamesJingle_James Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Great! He's covering the two areas I live in/near. Peterborough and Spalding!

Although I'm not sure how he's going to do Dudley to Bridgnorth.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who but the BBC could make a successful programme from a man reading a railway timetable:D
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up, enjoy watching this :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    I hate trains, but I never miss this. It's like being shown round a place by a really good friend who knows what he's talking about and wants to share his enthusiasm.

Losing his political career was the best thing that could have happened to Michael Portillo.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope its got the same great music as previous series :D
  • OcadoOcado Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this, love trains so I enjoy it. My grandmother couldn't stand Portillo as an MP, but admits she likes him as a presenter doing these railway programmes. As I was too young, I don't have any recollection of him being an MP, I was 13 when he lost in 1997 (well techincally 12 and a bit) so I had no re conceptions of him before this.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another 25 programmes that I can really look forward to

If anyone approved of his past politics or not, and many who do not, there are many of them who will admit that Portillo comes across as a competent, professional presenter, who looks genuinely interested in the subject

The refreshing thing about these programmes is that we do not have to suffer a presenter trying to act funny or try to "big up" the scenario which sadly many potentially good documentary presenters appear to do these days. I would not mind seeing him presenting other documentaries,
  • harrypalmerharrypalmer Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent early evening viewing. Really enjoyed the continental journeys as well.

Portillo's politics has changed a lot since he lost his seat in 1997 (watching This Week it's easy to see). I despised him in 1997, but now he's very easy to watch.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahhhh instant relaxation in a TV programme.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Another 25 programmes that I can really look forward to

If anyone approved of his past politics or not, and many who do not, there are many of them who will admit that Portillo comes across as a competent, professional presenter, who looks genuinely interested in the subject

The refreshing thing about these programmes is that we do not have to suffer a presenter trying to act funny or try to "big up" the scenario which sadly many potentially good documentary presenters appear to do these days. I would not mind seeing him presenting other documentaries,

I agree about Portillo. He is so easy to watch and listen to. He gets it right every time and he's not up himself. I quite enjoyed the Chris Tarrant railways progs but he is nowhere near as good a presenter as Portillo. CT kept making jokes (in English) to Indians who didn't understand and then he'd laugh at his own jokes!!

Portillo reminds me of one or two schoolteachers we had who instantly commanded respect because of the way they spoke and carried themselves. They didn't want to be your big buddy, they really knew their subject and they held your attention.

I am recording it as we speak.:)
  • addixaddix Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    An engaging start to the new series, and maybe with the reference to Bradshaw's earlier book on canals, an idea for future series once Michael has run out of track.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting that they made reference to a bradshaw's guide to the canals tonight. I wonder if that might be a potential spin off?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that they made reference to a bradshaw's guide to the canals tonight. I wonder if that might be a potential spin off?

I wondered that. Interesting possibility.

Very good programme tonight. I loved the bit where he was in Stratford Upon Avon, learning about "Royal" Tennis and listening to someone relating Shakespearian lines.

Great stuff :cool:
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bradshaws-Canals-Navigable-Rivers-England/dp/1908402148

Bradshaws also did an airline one as well when commercial flying first started.

The European guide he has used would give him enough material for years as it covers Russia, the middle east as well as the whole of Europe.
  • piimapoikapiimapoika Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Some amazing facts in today's programme: chair legs being made in the woods using very mediaeval looking machinery up until the 1960's. And I wonder what audience participation in Shakespeare's day would have been like:
    - He's behind the arras!
    - Oh no he isn't!
    - Oh yes he is!
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bradshaws-Canals-Navigable-Rivers-England/dp/1908402148

Bradshaws also did an airline one as well when commercial flying first started.

The European guide he has used would give him enough material for years as it covers Russia, the middle east as well as the whole of Europe.

Pleased this is back, as thought we may not see anything else, at least not so soon after the short European series. Glad there is still plenty to cover too.