George Michael Falls Out Of Car

1235»

Comments

• lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HelloRain wrote: »
    But the fans bought his albums voluntarily, they bought his music because because wanted to. I don't get why he owes them anything. Sorry, I've just never subscribed to this idea that because I bought a few Britney Spears albums in the early 2000s, that she is somehow indebted to me for helping make her a millionaire. I bought the albums because I liked the music and enjoy her as a pop star. People don't buy albums out of some philanthropic desire to support a celebrity, they do it because they enjoy what they get out of the product. That's how it's always been.

Exactly. It like when people start whining about eg. an actor dating someone they disapprove of and saying s/he should consider his/her fans feelings!! :D All an actor or musician needs to do is deliver on the 'art' front, that's all they owe anyone. This 'ownership' that some people seem to have for public figures is a very odd one.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,943
    Forum Member
    Well *I* can't understand why more people aren't wanting answers with this incident. We're going around in circles though, so I'm leaving it there.

Not off to the races?
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,943
    Forum Member
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Exactly. It like when people start whining about eg. an actor dating someone they disapprove of and saying s/he should consider his/her fans feelings!! :D All an actor or musician needs to do is deliver on the 'art' front, that's all they owe anyone. This 'ownership' that some people seem to have for public figures is a very odd one.

Maybe Team Michael should have said nothing no one forced them to make a statement that seems at odds with subsequent events.

Most people would have thought falling out of a car at 70mph would likely result in possibly serious injuries, but it was said they were 'superficial cuts and bruises', yet he spent 2 weeks in hospital.

Locally someone was stabbed, taken to hospital with 'life threatening injuries' and was out of hospital 3/4 days later.

George has joked about his err 'mishaps' in the past and with many people wondering, why open a door on the motorway and then fall out, in certain respects people are going to treat it in a jovial manner.

I'm sure George will bounce back to good health.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HelloRain wrote: »
    But the fans bought his albums voluntarily, they bought his music because because wanted to. I don't get why he owes them anything. Sorry, I've just never subscribed to this idea that because I bought a few Britney Spears albums in the early 2000s, that she is somehow indebted to me for helping make her a millionaire. I bought the albums because I liked the music and enjoy her as a pop star. People don't buy albums out of some philanthropic desire to support a celebrity, they do it because they enjoy what they get out of the product. That's how it's always been.

You know what I hate most about these boards? When I know I've lost the argument:mad::D;)
  • di60di60 Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    Yes indeed.

I just wish he could sort out his demons once and for all.:(

and hopefully next time he faces his demons it will be in the privacy of his own home, and not at the risk of causing serious harm to others!
    Well *I* can't understand why more people aren't wanting answers with this incident. We're going around in circles though, so I'm leaving it there.

I couldn't give a flying f*** WHY he did what he did, or what his problems are, but IF those problems are likely to pose a danger to others, then it IS in the public interest to know.
  • HelloRainHelloRain Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know what I hate most about these boards? When I know I've lost the argument:mad::D;)

:o Sorry :p
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kind of see what you're saying, but at the same time, celebrities' appeal is based on their personalities and their output: People buy into that and the fans that 'care', ultimately, are the people that buy his music and line his pockets.

Some celebrities' appeal is based largely on their personality, but I don't think that's very true for George Michael. He's always been sort of reclusive and doesn't give that many interviews. His appeal more so than many other artists is based on his singing and songwriting ability, not his personality. I'm a pretty big fan, but I couldn't even tell you what's he's like as a person. I don't buy into anything about him as a person. I just think he has one of the world's greatest voices and has written some amazing songs.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »

I think some celebrities do kind of bring that kind of ownership of their personal lives on themselves though. There are some celebrities who sort of use their personal lives to market themselves to the media and their fans by writing tell all books or giving endless interviews telling you every detail of their relationships. So they themselves create that interest in their personal lives. So I find it hypocritical when those celebrities scream privacy or complain about fans commenting on their personal lives, when they created that interest in the first place through how they marketed themselves.
    But George Michael is not that type of celebrity. He has marketed himself almost totally around his singing, songwriting and his art. He has always been pretty private about his personal stuff so I think that deserves to be respected.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I so respect someone who can make a post such as yours............proves you are human.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    I think some celebrities do kind of bring that kind of ownership of their personal lives on themselves though. There are some celebrities who sort of use their personal lives to market themselves to the media and their fans by writing tell all books or giving endless interviews telling you every detail of their relationships. So they themselves create that interest in their personal lives. So I find it hypocritical when those celebrities scream privacy or complain about fans commenting on their personal lives, when they created that interest in the first place through how they marketed themselves.
    But George Michael is not that type of celebrity. He has marketed himself almost totally around his singing, songwriting and his art. He has always been pretty private about his personal stuff so I think that deserves to be respected.

Hi Gigi4. Yes, totally agree re the self-serving ones who open their lives up for press attention and financial gain and then go all whiny and 'private' when eg. something happens that doesn't show them in a particularly good light. But the others - and I'm referring to those celebs, like George Michael, whose fame/popularity is a direct result of their talent, not their private lives - shouldn't be hounded or made to feel they have some obligation to explain themselves, particularly in this instance, just to please or satisfy random interested parties.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bummer. :D
  • offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Not off to the races?

Oh dear. What IS your problem with me?