Options

Never Mind the Buzzcocks - Series 28, BBC2 Mondays 10pm

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
The series returns with new host Rhod Gilbert.
The anarchic pop quiz returns for its 28th series with brand new host Rhod Gilbert alongside regular team captains Noel Fielding and Phill Jupitus. They are joined by Professor Green, comedian Roisin Conaty, the 1975's Matt Healy and Gabby Logan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04kmrvh

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    Deleted
  • Options
    AbMan51AbMan51 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Deleted

Come on, its not that bad. :p
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be honest, I'm really enjoying Gilbert as host so far :)
  • Options
    dwisemandwiseman Posts: 4,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure about Rhod Gilbert at all. Trying far too hard to be hilarious.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dwiseman wrote: »
    Not sure about Rhod Gilbert at all. Trying far too hard to be hilarious.
    Oh I dunno it's not too chablis :)
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rhod isnt a very funny man for a comedian
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    If it had two new captains it might help, i hate Jupitus and Fielding
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am still a fan of the Amstell era. Which was IMO regularly, truly, funny.
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    If it had two new captains it might help, i hate Jupitus and Fielding

I think Fielding is alright, good for the show,

I do agree on Jupitus though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm- that show is well past its sell by date.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that was one of the best episodes in ages. Having a permanent host seems to have revived it somewhat.

We all knew they needed a permanent host anyway, shame it took them so long.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rhod isnt a very funny man for a comedian

He should fit in well with most of the "comedians" that appear on Buzzcocks then
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I loved Simon Amstell as the host and found the show much funnier when he presented. I've heard some people complain he was too nasty to guests, but to me, he was very rarely rude to anyone who didn't deserve it, subjective of course, but it's my opinion, so pfft ;p

It was always aimed at someone who either, took themselves way too seriously, or was famous for being a total nonentity and not because of talent. In fact, sometimes they had outright obnoxious guests who actually insulted other people on the panel- I remember that wannabe punk guy being on the show and it showed him slagging off his managers and acting like a diva. It was great seeing Simon take people like that down a peg or two. The people he ribbed that took it on the chin and perhaps fired something funny back, came off looking good from it anyway, because they could actually take a joke and weren't full of their own ego.

I heard Phil Jupitus and Noel Fielding, both didn't like Simon on the show and disagreed with how he talked to guests. Noel thought Simon ruined the show. I wouldn't be surprised if they had something to do with him leaving.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hm! Not particularly found its voice - still feeling the weight of pseudo-wacky setpieces. Lamarr played up the despondence of slumming it on a pop quiz, Amstell played up the embarrassment, both presenters quite knowing and smartly acidic. Rhod Gilbert doesn't have that, he's almost too sincere, he gives the rubbish auto-cue too much credit... but he's a good presenter, a very sharp comedian, and a reliable presence that will give the show a shot at finding a voice again.

Buzzcocks has been in terrible form for a while, and it was never going to recover in a day, but Rhod did well enough. He's not as dry as his predecessors, but he does comic anger very well, which should be ideal for Buzzcocks if he can fit it in.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I had no idea this was back on tonight! iPlayer it is then...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think the humour in it all seemed a bit desperately contrived, as if everyone knew it had to be funny & was worried that it probably wouldnt be. True, it had a few moments but for me they were too few overall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    I loved Simon Amstell as the host and found the show much funnier when he presented. I've heard some people complain he was too nasty to guests, but to me, he was very rarely rude to anyone who didn't deserve it, subjective of course, but it's my opinion, so pfft ;p

It was always aimed at someone who either, took themselves way too seriously, or was famous for being a total nonentity and not because of talent. In fact, sometimes they had outright obnoxious guests who actually insulted other people on the panel- I remember that wannabe punk guy being on the show and it showed him slagging off his managers and acting like a diva. It was great seeing Simon take people like that down a peg or two. The people he ribbed that took it on the chin and perhaps fired something funny back, came off looking good from it anyway, because they could actually take a joke and weren't full of their own ego.

I heard Phil Jupitus and Noel Fielding, both didn't like Simon on the show and disagreed with how he talked to guests. Noel thought Simon ruined the show. I wouldn't be surprised if they had something to do with him leaving.
    Agree with all of that.

Rhod Gilbert is usually a bit too shouty for me but that first episode wasn't too bad so maybe he will fit in with the show.

Good to see some variety in the rounds.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gave it a try. Didn't like it. Rhod doesn't suit hosting duties and I'm sick to the back teeth of Jupitus and Fielding. Either totally refresh the show or just put it out of its misery. It hasn't been funny or worth watching since Amstell left.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Wasn't it Bill Bailey who didn't like the way Simon treated the guests which caused him (Bill) to quit the show??
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amstell was a nasty piece of work. The only way he could get a laugh was by being offensive and making other people feel bad - typical bully tactics. I refused to watch NMTB while he was hosting as his unpleasantness just made me uneasy. No guests deserve to be treated that poorly.
    If being rude to people is all you have - you've got nothing.
  • Options
    StardogStardog Posts: 2,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get Amstell back. This episode was just as bad as most of the others with guest hosts.
  • Options
    Ginger1Ginger1 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    Gonna be controversial and say I didn't like Amstell at all..I am the lemarr old school way of buzzcocks where I would really lol and pmsl whilst rofl ....only hoping that rhod Gilbert can do the same....
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon Amstell was not the way forward and I don't think Rhod is either - I'll give him a couple of weeks.

It's always difficult when a guest tries too hard. That was the case with the boy on Noel's team. Spoilt the show.
  • Options
    PaleHorsePaleHorse Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    At this point, the beeb should have just hit Lamarr up for a return to this ghostly shadow of a program. Not only would it bring back some life and bite into this sinking ship, but what with them having worked together for 9 years, I'm Jupitus would up his game again. Fielding too, for that matter. I'm sure I've read somewhere that Fielding's a bit of a fan of Lamarr. Dunno where, however.
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amstell was the only thing that kept this show fresh. It should have gone when he went as it's had nothing to offer since.