Liz Jones - YOU magazine (Part 4)

Comments

• Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wag Free Cafe, which only serves wheat- and gluten-free food, opened in Brixton, London, in November 2010.

"I'd just been diagnosed coeliac. I'd researched the food I wanted to eat and found plenty of sweet things, but very few savoury," owner David Scrace says. The Wag Free Cafe, which serves freshly baked gluten-free food including pies, breads and burgers, was born.

After learning how to cook with gluten-free ingredients (pastries were particularly tough, according to Scrace), controlling cross-contamination has been the biggest challenge.

"If you're coeliac, you become very ill if you come into contact with wheat, rye, barley or gluten, so if you're preparing food for people of that ilk, there can be no compromise," he says.

Costs have been another issue. "Prices of products such as tapioca and potato flour are going up all the time," Scrace says, but it hasn't put him off his mission, as the customers just keep on coming.

"We've only been able to afford Facebook marketing, but people have still found us more than we've looked for people," he says. "We're very lucky; all we've got to do is announce we're here and the people will come."
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charming to see how the sad death of the girlfriend is breezily dismissed by Liz, and referred to only in terms of herself. Reminds me of the story about how her grandfather's sudden death ruined her night out, and her foot-stamping petulant response to the FRS saying he was going to a funeral. She really does seem completely inhuman in this respect, viewing other people's tragedies and misfortunes purely in terms of how they affect her. I just hope the girlfriend's bereaved family don't read this column and see their lost loved one so briskly dismissed.

I vividly remember the meeting with this David chap a few years ago, but I can't find it online. Anyone managed to find it?
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    "Liz,' the northern voice on the other end of the phone said. 'It's David Scrace.' This is someone I hadn't spoken to for 22 years. My first proper, proper love, someone I would have given anything in order to make him love me back.

We arranged to meet for lunch. I spent hours getting ready.

Would I be a disappointment after all these years? He had sent me a text saying he hoped he wouldn't be a disappointment.

Because he had never dumped me, I had never got over him. He was my, 'What if?' I remember what it was like, loving him.

It was a fierce longing I have never felt since.

When we met I was 20, 21 and he was 32. If he had only succumbed to my charms, I could have had a happier life, been, well, normal. I would probably even have a giant teenager by now.

I got to the restaurant early.

'Your guest is already here,' said the ma"tre d'. I looked over at the small man at the bar. He had really long, grey hair but the twinkle in the eyes was still there. We hugged. We sat down. I told him I wanted some answers, closure. He looked scared.
    For Cathrin.....

'Did you know I loved you?' I asked him. 'No, I didn't have a clue,' he said. 'But even your best friend guessed,' I persisted. 'He never mentioned it,' he replied. (What do men talk about?) I asked him if I had actually told him how I felt, would he have gone out with me? 'No,' he said. 'You just weren't my type. You really had a lucky escape. I'm a complete waste of space.

It would have ended badly.' He told me he had got married in 1985, had a son, Ben, now 18, and then his marriage broke up because he had an affair. He lived in France for few years, but is now back in London, with a new girlfriend, Paola, who is two years younger than I am. 'Did you realise our trip to see Siouxsie and the Banshees was a date?' I asked him. 'Um, no. I don't remember even going, to be honest.' He commented on the fact I must be really successful. 'Yes, well, I threw myself into work when I couldn't have you,' I said, which was true. Plus, my self-esteem had taken a mortal blow.

When I got home, I cried for my 21-year-old self. If I had known then what I know now - that David would marry two years later, that I would wait 20 years before I found someone who loved me back - I would have given up there and then. If I think of all the time and effort I put into making him love me - the squash lessons, the concert tickets - and for what?

I had reminded him that at the party I held in 1983, just so that I could invite him, he had got off with my friend Wilma.

'How on earth is she?' he had said as I paid the bill. I asked if he thought I had changed. 'You still have the same hairstyle. To be honest, I hadn't even remembered your name,' he said, walking out of my life all over again."

Publication dated 9th October 2005.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    She really does seem completely inhuman in this respect

I agree. Her self-obsession is so extreme that I am without a doubt that she has some sort of serious mental illness. I'd never for a minute excuse her vileness but it's the only reasoning I can think of for her BS at this point.
    Forum Member
    The "for Cathrin" bit was supposed to go at the top of my post - not halfway through :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Liz,' the northern voice on the other end of the phone said. 'It's David Scrace.' This is someone I hadn't spoken to for 22 years. My first proper, proper love, someone I would have given anything in order to make him love me back.

We arranged to meet for lunch. I spent hours getting ready.

Would I be a disappointment after all these years? He had sent me a text saying he hoped he wouldn't be a disappointment.

Because he had never dumped me, I had never got over him. He was my, 'What if?' I remember what it was like, loving him.

It was a fierce longing I have never felt since.

When we met I was 20, 21 and he was 32. If he had only succumbed to my charms, I could have had a happier life, been, well, normal. I would probably even have a giant teenager by now.

I got to the restaurant early.

'Your guest is already here,' said the ma"tre d'. I looked over at the small man at the bar. He had really long, grey hair but the twinkle in the eyes was still there. We hugged. We sat down. I told him I wanted some answers, closure. He looked scared.
    For Cathrin.....

'Did you know I loved you?' I asked him. 'No, I didn't have a clue,' he said. 'But even your best friend guessed,' I persisted. 'He never mentioned it,' he replied. (What do men talk about?) I asked him if I had actually told him how I felt, would he have gone out with me? 'No,' he said. 'You just weren't my type. You really had a lucky escape. I'm a complete waste of space.

It would have ended badly.' He told me he had got married in 1985, had a son, Ben, now 18, and then his marriage broke up because he had an affair. He lived in France for few years, but is now back in London, with a new girlfriend, Paola, who is two years younger than I am. 'Did you realise our trip to see Siouxsie and the Banshees was a date?' I asked him. 'Um, no. I don't remember even going, to be honest.' He commented on the fact I must be really successful. 'Yes, well, I threw myself into work when I couldn't have you,' I said, which was true. Plus, my self-esteem had taken a mortal blow.

When I got home, I cried for my 21-year-old self. If I had known then what I know now - that David would marry two years later, that I would wait 20 years before I found someone who loved me back - I would have given up there and then. If I think of all the time and effort I put into making him love me - the squash lessons, the concert tickets - and for what?

I had reminded him that at the party I held in 1983, just so that I could invite him, he had got off with my friend Wilma.

'How on earth is she?' he had said as I paid the bill. I asked if he thought I had changed. 'You still have the same hairstyle. To be honest, I hadn't even remembered your name,' he said, walking out of my life all over again."

Publication dated 9th October 2005.

Ah! Thank you so much for that. Yes, it's just as I remembered it....and it makes a total mockery of today's column. Nifty work, fitnessqueen!

Anyone seen today's MoS column? She really would save herself an awful lot of time if she simply learned the basic cause-and-effect principle: If you continuously bad-mouth and slag off someone or something in print, don't be surprised when that person/organisation wants nothing to do with you. She seems to go through life being horrible about her family and friends and then expressing hurt and victimhood when they cut her out of their lives. .....And now she's doing the exact same thing with Marie Clare.

I would love to hear the magazine's side of the story over her sacking. After all, we all know how she tends to spin any row so that she comes across as the innocent, virtuous victim cruelly picked on by some nasty baddie!
    Forum Member
    Ah! Thank you so much for that. Yes, it's just as I remembered it....and it makes a total mockery of today's column. Nifty work, fitnessqueen!

Anyone seen today's MoS column? She really would save herself an awful lot of time if she simply learned the basic cause-and-effect principle: If you continuously bad-mouth and slag off someone or something in print, don't be surprised when that person/organisation wants nothing to do with you. She seems to go through life being horrible about her family and friends and then expressing hurt and victimhood when they cut her out of their lives. .....And now she's doing the exact same thing with Marie Clare.

I would love to hear the magazine's side of the story over her sacking. After all, we all know how she tends to spin any row so that she comes across as the innocent, virtuous victim cruelly picked on by some nasty baddie!

It's strange but the article has mysteriously disappeared from the Mail's archives despite having older stuff on there...

Yes - I think she mentions being sacked from Marie Claire at least once a fortnight so I'm not surprised they didn't want her there. And yet this so-called champion of the larger woman makes a catty comment about a contestant in the x-factor in her other article - mentioning that she "eats a lot of doughnuts" and how surprising it is that she has room for butterflies in her stomach
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the way she says she was pro larger and normal sized models then has a dig at a contestant of the X factor by saying she looks like she ate all the donuts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Scrace says on his FB wall..
    ' I'd rather walk through Brixton than read the Mail'

Heh!
  • BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her sacking from Marie Claire might not have been entirely unconnected with an 11% decline in circulation while she was editor. :cool:
  • BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...So, the "Did you realise I was in love with you?" conversation is particularly daft this time round, given that she asked him the same question when she met him last time!

Funny how she always portrays herself as a pioneering champion of realistic shaped models whenever she tells the Marie Clare sacking story. But a swift glance through any random sample of her columns will always reveal umpteen nasty snipes about women she considers overweight. Remember her vicious barbs about Kirstie A's "fat", which she proceeded to repeat the following week after Kirstie complained? The remark that Holly W "may have been either pregnant or just recently had a baby...it's hard to tell?" The rude comments about the size of the X Factor contestants?) Week after week she makes digs at women about their weight.....yet whenever the Marie Clare story arises, suddenly she's this heroic force championing larger women. And she accuses other writers of "crowd-pleasing!"
  • sunstonesunstone Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone ever met a real person who speaks the way LJ's lovers do? I try to imagine my husband going all Jane Austen on me but it doesn't work.:o

Lord knows why she is dragging up the Marie Claire thing again, if the article was in February what is the point? Oh. 'cause she can never let anything drop ( like the mag sales when she was at the helm).

Cathrin, you list a few examples of her "respect" for the larger woman, but you omitted the "feet like giant hams" article.:D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2237624/Larger-life-beauty-queens-LIZ-JONES-ready-mock-pageant-starts-size-18--surprisingly-moved.html
    :mad:

eta, the feet like giant hams reference seems to be no longer there. She still refers to Gok Wan as a neurotic borderline anorexic though. ( I think she got some IDs confused).:rolleyes:
  • SeabirdSeabird Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With no disrespect to Mr Scrace, he certainly is no Mr Darcy, he looks like he has led a very hard life and if the story about him being homeless is true then every respect to him for getting his life back together, especially after the sad loss of his girlfriend. As an old rock chick I loved guys with long hair, but never, ever a ponytail. As he works with food it is practical but thinning grey lanky hair is best cut short at his advanced age, yet it seems a major aphrodisiac to Wor Liz. I think she modelled the ficticious RS on him all along, they even appear to talk exactly the same ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without benefit of pictures, the small man with the very long grey hair doesn't sound too much like Mr Wonderful. Even Francis Rossi has cut his hair now that he has reached a certain age.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from anything else, I'm fascinated by her strange understanding of the phrase "the love of my life". Surely this expression usually denotes a significant relationship, not someone one had a secret crush on and never even actually had a single date with?

Oh, and I totally agree about the way DS talks, which is strangely similar to the equally bizarre maiden-aunt style of the FRS! :)
    Forum Member
    Apart from anything else, I'm fascinated by her strange understanding of the phrase "the love of my life". Surely this expression usually denotes a significant relationship, not someone one had a secret crush on and never even actually had a single date with?

Oh, and I totally agree about the way DS talks, which is strangely similar to the equally bizarre maiden-aunt style of the FRS! :)

Indeed - I don't believe you can be "in love" with someone you barely know!
  • FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sunstone wrote: »
    Has anyone ever met a real person who speaks the way LJ's lovers do? I try to imagine my husband going all Jane Austen on me but it doesn't work.:o

Lord knows why she is dragging up the Marie Claire thing again, if the article was in February what is the point? Oh. 'cause she can never let anything drop ( like the mag sales when she was at the helm).

Cathrin, you list a few examples of her "respect" for the larger woman, but you omitted the "feet like giant hams" article.:D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2237624/Larger-life-beauty-queens-LIZ-JONES-ready-mock-pageant-starts-size-18--surprisingly-moved.html
    :mad:

eta, the feet like giant hams reference seems to be no longer there. She still refers to Gok Wan as a neurotic borderline anorexic though. ( I think she got some IDs confused).:rolleyes:

The quote is still there, sunstone, "There are high, red spangled shoes with over-large feet stuffed in like giant hams; and floral, cantilevered bikini tops, each cup the size of a life raft." And there's my personal favourite, this is her 'championing' women, 'nurturing them' - "There is back fat: great creamy folds of it, like a Viennetta dessert. These women, all 20 of them, have had far too much dessert"
    Not only is it offensive, it's poorly written and trite.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fatsia wrote: »
    The quote is still there, sunstone, "There are high, red spangled shoes with over-large feet stuffed in like giant hams; and floral, cantilevered bikini tops, each cup the size of a life raft." And there's my personal favourite, this is her 'championing' women, 'nurturing them' - "There is back fat: great creamy folds of it, like a Viennetta dessert. These women, all 20 of them, have had far too much dessert"

LJ really is a sick human being...in every sense of the word.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think today might be Liz's birthday
  • DroodDrood Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seabird wrote: »
    With no disrespect to Mr Scrace, he certainly is no Mr Darcy, he looks like he has led a very hard life and if the story about him being homeless is true then every respect to him for getting his life back together, especially after the sad loss of his girlfriend. As an old rock chick I loved guys with long hair, but never, ever a ponytail. As he works with food it is practical but thinning grey lanky hair is best cut short at his advanced age, yet it seems a major aphrodisiac to Wor Liz. I think she modelled the ficticious RS on him all along, they even appear to talk exactly the same ;)

That and the fact she's described them both as having "piggy eyes".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fatsia wrote: »

Whoops, I suppose I couldn't be bothered to look properly again. I can't say I have ever seen anyone with a back like a rippled ice cream dessert, might be quite the experience.:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drood wrote: »
    That and the fact she's described them both as having "piggy eyes".

And when you dream up your ideal lover, don't they always have perfect features like "piggy eyes"?:o
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sunstone wrote: »
    And when you dream up your ideal lover, don't they always have perfect features like "piggy eyes"?:o

yes... piggy eyes makes me go PHOAWR!!

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Badcat wrote: »
    yes... piggy eyes makes me go PHOAWR!!

:D

Long hair and piggy eyes, "rock star", OMG :eek: