Options

When to Worry?

124»

Comments

• Options
    MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her phone was on her pillow while she was asleep. They came back the next night and tried to remove the phone from the managers hand! They had robbed all the other hostels down the beach as well.
    Apparently the robber is black and blue from a hard beating.
    Anyway, panic over.

To anyone here who might know. Shall I get a new phone out to her or would it be better if she buys one in Tokyo? I know nothing of these things, whether a Japanese one would even work in UK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Mutter wrote: »
    Her phone was on her pillow while she was asleep. They came back the next night and tried to remove the phone from the managers hand! They had robbed all the other hostels down the beach as well.
    Apparently the robber is black and blue from a hard beating.
    Anyway, panic over.

To anyone here who might know. Shall I get a new phone out to her or would it be better if she buys one in Tokyo? I know nothing of these things, whether a Japanese one would even work in UK.

Hi, not sure if this helps but when my son went to South Korea he had to buy a new phone there. The one from home didn't work, can't remember why, might have been something to do with the provider?? He then left it with a friend out there when he came home again.
  • Options
    Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So glad she's safe. I'd been going to post that I was in Siem Reap in February and it seemed quite a safe place to me, full of people having a really good time. But I guess you get thieves everywhere.
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would make it even worse for me, because if she couldn't contact for whatever reason at that time it would seem more sinister than unplanned communication dropping off!

Maybe asking the daughter to say when she definitely won't be able to keep in touch would be a better thing?

Whatever works for you both. I lost a family member who was backpacking, and have developed a fairly fatalistic view. Statistically, it's far, far more likely that all will be well rather than any other scenario.
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally as someone who solo backpacked as a 21 year old female, for about 9 months through Asia, south America, Australia etc, I left copies of all my docs with my mum including some booked accommodation, and if I booked hostels etc, I also forwarded an email to her so she knew where I'd be. I travelled in 2001 so having mobiles etc wasn't as common in terms of using internationally. Not like now anyway, but the hostels always usually have computers, or there's places near hostels cashing in, even in the remotest places I found. I did it for my safety as well as reassurance for my mum, so they'd be someone who, if I went missing, would know if I hadn't turned up somewhere, or missed a flight etc.

In all fairness my mum was pretty good about it all, I knew she worried at times, but you should relay your fears to them, because if my mum did that to me, I'd do all I could to give her peace of mind! Tell her how you feel, and and what would relieve your anxiety a bit, I've no doubt she'd hate to think you were having restless nights whilst she's out having the experience of a lifetime!
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You must have been seriously freaking out with what she's doing. My sister worries when I just walk to the 24-hour shop after midnight! :blush: