> Full HD screen?

> Bigger HDD

> Faster Processing Chip
> graphics upgrade

Comments

• darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No we need game developers to make more games for the current one.
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    My vita has the odd issue recognising the memory card - amazing it hasn't got built in storage! $ony
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    Do we need a vita upgrade?

> Updated higher spec
    more megapixel cameras front and rear?

> Full HD screen?

> Bigger HDD

> Faster Processing Chip
    > graphics upgrade

You've got more chance of witnessing the 2nd coming then getting a vita upgrade imo ;)
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we need a vita upgrade?
    The short answer? No.
    > Updated higher spec
    more megapixel cameras front and rear?
    For what purpose? For taking pictures for facebook? That's not what Vita is for. You've got a smartphone for that, plus better cameras means more cost.
    > Full HD screen?
    Unnecessary, we're talking a handheld gaming device, not a TV in the living room, I know the Apple-led ppi war has led to everyone thinking they need full HD in their hands, but it's utter bo***cks, especially with gaming, there's such a thing as diminishing returns with HD resolutions in relation to screen size and viewing distance. Also making games run in HD is processor intensive and the current screen on Vita is beautiful as it is.
    > Bigger HDD
    This is one chance which is hard to reasonably argue against, not having built-in storage was a cheeky move in all honesty.
    > Faster Processing Chip
    For a start a 2ghz quad core chip is plenty fast enough for current handheld applications (way more powerful and with twice as many cores as any current i-device, for instance), adding more power would mean more heat, more battery usage, and most importantly would fracture the user base, meaning those with the new system would not be able to play the games which utilise the new hardware, and there's no way Sony would do such a thing and alienate it's early adopters, and they shouldn't. Also, extra cost, people want Vita price to come down, not go up.
    > graphics upgrade
    Similar to the above, the quad core GPU in the Vita is a monster compared to anything similar out there on the market now. All you could do would be replace it with an 8 core version, but again, that's more power and more cost.

The Vita is a superb bit of hardware, ask any developer or engineer, it's just fine as it is from a technical standpoint, what/all it needs is better marketing IMHO*.

*Which would, of course, include a price cut.
  • NedubizNedubiz Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO - no. The Vita is plenty powerful enough for a handheld. The system needs a price cut and some killer software to boost sales. The price has been cut in Japan, so it will be interesting to see if that has a big impact. After that we need to look to Soul Sacrifice to see if that is the game that can shift units (again at least in Japan.)
    Personally - Killzone and Tearaway look good to me, but I would like to see a few more titles on the release schedule.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    The short answer? No.

For what purpose? For taking pictures for facebook? That's not what Vita is for. You've got a smartphone for that, plus better cameras means more cost.

Unnecessary, we're talking a handheld gaming device, not a TV in the living room, I know the Apple-led ppi war has led to everyone thinking they need full HD in their hands, but it's utter bo***cks, especially with gaming, there's such a thing as diminishing returns with HD resolutions in relation to screen size and viewing distance. Also making games run in HD is processor intensive and the current screen on Vita is beautiful as it is.

This is one chance which is hard to reasonably argue against, not having built-in storage was a cheeky move in all honesty.

For a start a 2ghz quad core chip is plenty fast enough for current handheld applications (way more powerful and with twice as many cores as any current i-device, for instance), adding more power would mean more heat, more battery usage, and most importantly would fracture the user base, meaning those with the new system would not be able to play the games which utilise the new hardware, and there's no way Sony would do such a thing and alienate it's early adopters, and they shouldn't. Also, extra cost, people want Vita price to come down, not go up.

Similar to the above, the quad core GPU in the Vita is a monster compared to anything similar out there on the market now. All you could do would be replace it with an 8 core version, but again, that's more power and more cost.

The Vita is a superb bit of hardware, ask any developer or engineer, it's just fine as it is from a technical standpoint, what/all it needs is better marketing IMHO*.

*Which would, of course, include a price cut.

Cool
    Thanks for that
    Genuinely I am as it was an honest question as I have PS3 but not vita yet.
    I really think the specs sheet is what a lot of people look at and if a 2nd Vita cane out people would liken it to being a PS4 sidekick.
    Would think it may happen just for driving uptake of both machines.
    Price is key - Maybe 35/60% off a Vita with a PS4???
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Storage is the only major problem with the Vita. Can't believe people want better graphics on it - every time I boot Wipeout I'm impressed by the opening sequence with the leaf.

Bring down the cost of the memy cards and we're good to go.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cool
    Thanks for that
    Genuinely I am as it was an honest question as I have PS3 but not vita yet.
    I really think the specs sheet is what a lot of people look at and if a 2nd Vita cane out people would liken it to being a PS4 sidekick.
    Would think it may happen just for driving uptake of both machines.
    Price is key - Maybe 35/60% off a Vita with a PS4???

The Vita already is a PS4 sidekick I think it's been designed that way (remember PS4 has been in the pipeline for five years), it's why it's functionality with PS3 has never been as great as PS3>PSP. The development tools for Vita are widely regarded as a joy to work with, allowing developers really close access to the hardware, and I suspect we'll hear something similar once they're allowed to talk about PS4, which by all accounts is not something that could ever be said of PS3 .
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Vita already is a PS4 sidekick I think it's been designed that way (remember PS4 has been in the pipeline for five years), it's why it's functionality with PS3 has never been as great as PS3>PSP. The development tools for Vita are widely regarded as a joy to work with, allowing developers really close access to the hardware, and I suspect we'll hear something similar once they're allowed to talk about PS4, which by all accounts is not something that could ever be said of PS3 .

I agree.

The PS3 and Vita are, apparently, a pig to get to work together due to their wildly differing architectures.

The PS4 and Vita are both based on a PC-like design, and have massive potential. It's a potent combination which could eclipse anything the Wii U and it's controller are capable of.

And that's not to mention the remote-play functions of PS4 & Vita. You'll basically be able to sit on the loo and play Killzone 4. The stuff of dreams! :D