AJ WheelsAJ Wheels Posts: 2,758
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Still for me, and people i know believe it to be by far the best game ever made

Comments

• Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...fun multiplayer at the time, but it was never even close to being a contender for best game ever in my eyes.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Game-changer certainly, "best game eva!!!!"???? No.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Certainly one of the best FPS's ever, and it's a shame the genre has become so stagnant in recent years.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hated the multi player, paled in comparison to Perfect Dark in that respect but as a game it was awesome.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's one of 'those' games, along with most Zelda games in particular Ocarina of time and most mario games like Super mario 64

For some reason they are seen as legendary, as the greatest that gaming has ever achieved, as something every one such be trying to achieve

But i just don't get it, am i saying Goldeneye is a bad game, no i'm not, i'm i saying its easily been surpassed and that its no longer the pinnacle, yes i am
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    AJ Wheels wrote: »
    Still for me, and people i know believe it to be by far the best game ever made

In some ways it will never be beaten. It had perfect playability and still does if you can get your head around the N64 controller.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A first-person shooter controlled with one analogue stick which sustains the frame-rate of a Wallace and Gromit episode made by a schizophrenic is not the best game ever.
  • AJ WheelsAJ Wheels Posts: 2,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    A first-person shooter controlled with one analogue stick which sustains the frame-rate of a Wallace and Gromit episode made by a schizophrenic is not the best game ever.

Come on ags jesus, obviously im not judging like in comparison to todays games, and how smoothly they run, in hd and all that flawless online playing. You look at it for when it was released, in 1995, as a game.

Thats like looking at Snake on old mobile phones, and saying 'well how shit is a shitty little black line going in different places around a screen with crappy bit graphics and annoying sounds. Its no cod' yet back then, Snake was amazing. Judge it for the time it came out.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are judging games by the day it was released its still a long way from the best. Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, WoW, GTA 3 Vice City, San Andreas, GTA 5, Oblivion, Skyrim, Arkham Asylum, Super Mario World, Mario Kart, Pokemon, some Metal Gears, some Zeldas, Street Fighter 2 and I could go on and on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think age is much of an excuse. Super Mario World still tops any of his 3D games, Link to the Past...same...FFVII kicks the shit out of FF13 with ease, Vice City blows GTA4 away etc...pretty much every FPS released seemingly every week now is better than Goldeneye.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    nostalgia. It was amazing on consoles for it's time but it in no way holds up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    nostalgia. It was amazing on consoles for it's time but it in no way holds up.

It didn't even hold up at the time, there were better shooters around if you were prepared to LAN some PCs.

I remember playing it four player mode with some friends and being incredibly underwhelmed, but I was/am a PC gamer, so that may explain it. It was very clunky and inaccurate.
  • Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Preferred what some of the Rare guys did when they created Free Radical and made the Timesplitters series.

Absolutely LOVED TS2, probably my favourite MP game of all time, so much fun spent with friends playing 4 player Virus on Hangar.

Timesplitters needs to come back, would hopefully bring back the fun and tounge in cheek side to the fairly stale FPS genre.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I ever saw anyone say it was the best game ever, it's never mentioned as much as the likes of Zelda OoT GTA and Mario Galaxy.

Although Golden Eye is respected check out this accurate average all time score system http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I ever saw anyone say it was the best game ever, it's never mentioned as much as the likes of Zelda OoT GTA and Mario Galaxy.

Although Golden Eye is respected check out this accurate average all time score system http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html

Not sure how accurate that list is, to be honest. Sure, a lot of this is completely subjective, so people will always disagree with any poll published.....but surely....surely, the general consensus is that GTA V is a shit-load better than GTA IV?
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Not sure how accurate that list is, to be honest. Sure, a lot of this is completely subjective, so people will always disagree with any poll published.....but surely....surely, the general consensus is that GTA V is a shit-load better than GTA IV?

Of course it is, its too many reviewers were cumming in their pants when 4 was released it could have literally been a piece of shit in a box and it would have scored 9's
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    dmuk wrote: »
    It didn't even hold up at the time, there were better shooters around if you were prepared to LAN some PCs.

I remember playing it four player mode with some friends and being incredibly underwhelmed, but I was/am a PC gamer, so that may explain it. It was very clunky and inaccurate.

Sure, this why I said amazing for consoles. PC had Quake before golden eye. Goldeneye, then Halo controls and finally COD rank progression were important standard setters for consoles.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Preferred what some of the Rare guys did when they created Free Radical and made the Timesplitters series.

Absolutely LOVED TS2, probably my favourite MP game of all time, so much fun spent with friends playing 4 player Virus on Hangar.

Timesplitters needs to come back, would hopefully bring back the fun and tounge in cheek side to the fairly stale FPS genre.

It is coming back in sorts on PC and maybe PS4. I loved the Timesplitters franchise, Future Perfect is pretty much the only game I loved playing as Co-Op. Hopefully Rewind will have some level of success and show Crytek that the fanbase for Timesplitters is still there. Really, if Crytek put as much effort in TS4 as Valve has done to TF2, it would be a winner.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasn't even one of the best FPS's at the time of release? Don't make me laugh. A lot of revisionism on here.
    Forum Member
    The thing about Goldeneye is that just briefly going back to it now makes the game look and play so terrible, it takes such a long time to rewire your brain around the N64 controller if you;re not used to it and to feel 100% comfortable, only then can you judge how well it holds up today.

Once you do, you realise the game has stunning playability that not many FPS today can even match. Part of what made it so good was the controller itself, not the same thing playing it in an emulator with remapped controls either.
    Forum Member
    pretty much every FPS released seemingly every week now is better than Goldeneye.

Please please please tell me you don't really believe that do you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but it's true. It was a gem of it's time (iif we're limiting ourselves to consoles, at least) but almost every aspect is outdated and hard to enjoy today. Except the music, that's still pretty good.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this is the one with RPG that never dies, then yes, i very much enjoyed this game. The story mode was good too and tolerable, considering i don't like FPS.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a great game, but it wasnt without its flaws. And it hasnt aged very well at all.

But Golden Eye was never the greatest, but it was one of the big game changers in the industry. I mean, look at any games section now, believe it or now, all the FPS's are a new thing, and Golden Eye did that. Golden Eye gave us all the Cods we hate, and the battlefields we loath :P But seriously, it was more of a cultural impact game, it changed the face of gaming from platformers and racers to shooting people over and over again in the murder simulators :P
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never owned a N64 myself but played my brothers and really enjoyed the single player campaign.

The most fun FPS i've played is Time Crises 2 - me and my mates played that endlessly at uni.