New Virgin remote control

Has anyone had any luck buying one of these from the Virgin Media website? I just get stuck on a 'checking stock' message and when I phone customer services they tell me it's because I use Norton firewall/anti-virus/pop-up blocker and I will have to turn them all off so that I can place an order. Not a road I want to go down.

If I buy one from Ebay for less than Virgin want will they have any right to get the hump? Can they even tell?

Comments

• davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    I can't see how they would be able to tell.

Is there any reason you want a virgin remote or is it just so it's got the correct brand on? Your old telewest/NTL would still work
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    I need to buy a new one because the old one has ceased to function. The red light is on all the time it has a battery in and the digibox doesn't respond to it. I don't really care what brand it is I just want one that works.
  • Toilet-DuckToilet-Duck Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    frankiew1 wrote: »
    I need to buy a new one because the old one has ceased to function. The red light is on all the time it has a battery in and the digibox doesn't respond to it. I don't really care what brand it is I just want one that works.

Buy one off ebay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    In the telewest days they gave you a free replacement remote? Is this no longer the case
  • Dean LambertDean Lambert Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mcin wrote: »
    In the telewest days they gave you a free replacement remote? Is this no longer the case

They still do the replacement remotes, I got 2 this morning when I only ordered 1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes they do, if you call them they will arrange one for you. they will prob ask to send the old one back, or they used too lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Got my free replacement yesterday too, have to send it back within 7 days otherwise they'll charge me. Typically, my broken telewest remote now works after dropping it on the floor again!
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what is the remote they send you if you want a replacement?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That sounds like the battery is faulty/low. The light on the remote can do that when the batts are flat.

So long as you send the old remote back when your new one arrives they wont charge you.

:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    anna_r wrote: »
    Got my free replacement yesterday too, have to send it back within 7 days otherwise they'll charge me. Typically, my broken telewest remote now works after dropping it on the floor again!

I had a similar thing with mine a few weeks ago. The light was working on it but it didn't do anything even with fresh batteries. Gave it a good bang against my hand and it sprung back into life :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mcin wrote: »

I rang virgin this morning and my box keeps rebooting its self she tested it and it was fine then she said about the remote control and said it was a fault with the remote so she is sending me another one FREE of charge all i have to do is send the old one back.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Has anyone had any luck buying one of these from the Virgin Media website? I just get stuck on a 'checking stock' message and when I phone customer services they tell me it's because I use Norton firewall/anti-virus/pop-up blocker and I will have to turn them all off so that I can place an order. Not a road I want to go down.

If I buy one from Ebay for less than Virgin want will they have any right to get the hump? Can they even tell?

Where do they sell them on the website? All I can find them selling is NTL ones?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brizzle42 wrote: »
    Where do they sell them on the website? All I can find them selling is NTL ones?

Ring virgin and ask them for a remote control and see what they say .....u dont know unless u ask..:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Free-who wrote: »
    I rang virgin this morning and my box keeps rebooting its self she tested it and it was fine then she said about the remote control and said it was a fault with the remote so she is sending me another one FREE of charge all i have to do is send the old one back.:)

Sadly too late for a freebie for me now, bought a new one off Ebay and hubby chucked the old one in the bin with the dog poo! No amount of new batteries or impact engineering would fix it so it's gone to a better place. Maybe if this one dies I'll try for a free one.