Why do americans sue everyone?

Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
Forum Member
I was jut watching a repeat of Airline on sky who was in the UK about to leave for Geneva and there was this american guy on there looking to sue a bus service in Luton because his bus was late :rolleyes:. He said "I guess a refund is the best you can get in Britain without going to court and that could take a while". :rolleyes:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
    Forum Member
    I am from Luton and our bus service is always late! That yank should get over it!!

Stupid yanks.

yanks yanks yanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flaxseed wrote: »
    I am from Luton and our bus service is always late! That yank should get over it!!

Stupid yanks.

yanks yanks yanks.

Ew.

Just ew.

We sue because its fun :D.
    Leave us be ;)
  • I <3 TweetyI <3 Tweety Posts: 8,286
    Forum Member
    lol.

They are OTT, that's why...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Compensation culture has always been rife in the states. Thing is, we are getting just as bad as them now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boom wrote: »
    Compensation culture has always been rife in the states. Thing is, we are getting just as bad as them now.
    Basil Fawlty once said to an obnoxious American guest, "I'll even refund your money. I know how important it is to you Americans."

And he was absolutely right! We are becoming that way because our former PM was so far up Bush's backside.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where America leads, the UK generally follows.

The "compensation culture" is no exception, unfortunately.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    It made me laugh when I went to Texas. On the wing mirror of the vehicle, it said "WARNING, items appearing in mirror are not of accurate size" or something like that!

I've heard the cases of a woman tripping over her own kid in Mac Donalds & sueing the company!
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caught a bit of american TV the other week and all their adverts were advertising lawyers!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it fun for the person who sues and scares the be jesus out of the victim especially when lawyers who would sell their mothers get involved

Beside, it sometimes put people / companies in check....don't screw up as someone is always willing to sue :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my opinion the average american is an idiot, so nothing they do suprises me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it's a nation driven by greed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,928
    Forum Member
    Boom wrote: »
    Sloopy wrote: »
    Where America leads, the UK generally follows.

The "compensation culture" is no exception, unfortunately.

the "compensation culture" is a bit of a myth. studies show that levels of personal injury claims are not rising but reducing.
  • Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
    Forum Member
    I heard a man tried to rob a house and was in the garage when the owners , not relasing they were being burgled, locked it and went on holiday for two weeks.

The burgalar then sued the family as he'd been imprisoned for 2 weeks and had to survive on Pepsi Max and Dog food. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It made me laugh when I went to Texas. On the wing mirror of the vehicle, it said "WARNING, items appearing in mirror are not of accurate size" or something like that!

I've heard the cases of a woman tripping over her own kid in Mac Donalds & sueing the company!

You guys don't have that on your cars side view mirrors? :confused:

Jason100 wrote: »
    Caught a bit of american TV the other week and all their adverts were advertising lawyers!

You must have been watching in the Daytime because that's the only time they play those Lawyer commercials every five minutes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You guys don't have that on your cars side view mirrors? :confused:

No ... I think most people would realize that a 3 inch mirror which shows cars behind you couldn't possibly be showing a huge car in accurate size.

When we don't sue for everything, we don't end up having to print the obvious every where.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »

Thats all they pretty much do in this country too though its compensation crap for idiots who eye up school girls while driving and smash into the back of some poor sods car :rolleyes:
  • Jimmy RiddleJimmy Riddle Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because there are a million lawyers for 300 million people
  • timeytimey Posts: 19,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen that message on car mirrors here too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the American suing culture was probably borne from them having no universal health care system to be perfectly honest.

If you badly injure yourself and have no insurance or an outrageously high deductible, you're going to do everything you possibly can to recoup that cash and not put yourself and your family in the poor house. Something silly like 45% of bankruptcies in the USA are due to medical bills. It's hardly something you can avoid when push comes to shove.

Thats not to say it hasn't been abused though, there is obviously a culture of blame and greed, thats the part we're inheriting over here.
  • javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've seen that sign before in a car mirror, its at the bottom, but i think it's on my sisters car...... and she is in the UK.
  • tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 21,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However, the UK has its own legal black spot, namely libel. The UK laws are such that many foreigners will go out of their way to sue in the UK, if at all possible, as the UK laws are strongly in favour of the person suing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tanstaafl wrote: »
    However, the UK has its own legal black spot, namely libel. The UK laws are such that many foreigners will go out of their way to sue in the UK, if at all possible, as the UK laws are strongly in favour of the person suing.

Do you mean in cases of libel or all cases?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It says: "Objects in Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear" which makes perfect sense as objects in the mirror of the passenger side are closer than they appear while in things seen in the mirror on the driver's side are to scale. The reason for that is the fact that the mirror on the driver's side is planar while the one on the passenge side is convex.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LondonW1 wrote: »
    It says: "Objects in Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear" which makes perfect sense as objects in the mirror of the passenger side are closer than they appear while in things seen in the mirror on the driver's side are to scale. The reason for that is the fact that the mirror on the driver's side is planar while the one on the passenge side is convex.

I thought it was the other way around. I've driven cars which have a convex mirror on the driver's side. This is done so that the driver has a wider view of what is behind him/her to try to reduce the "blind spot" to the side of the car if someone is overtaking. This has the effect of making the other cars appear further away than they really are.
  • tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 21,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean in cases of libel or all cases?
    Libel only. I've seen it claimed on more than one occasion that the UK libel laws are heavily in favour of the person suing. I think it's the one case where the defendant has to prove their innocence.