Celebrities who do good things

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 383
Forum Member
There seems to be a particularly large amount of celebrity bashing at the moment, and so I thought it might be nice to list some who we like or respect. Here is a link to a list of celebrities who have actually done something nice:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/16-celebrities-who-have-done-awesome-things

Positive posts only please!

Comments

• Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    Shakira, she founded the Barefoot Foundation in 1997, which basically is helps Colombian children to receive education. They have opened at least 5 schools so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    There was this recent blind item which people are speculating is the ultimate diva who hits notes only dogs can hear.

I give this A++ lister a lot of grief and goodness knows she is the biggest diva on the planet. I know she didn't invent diva, but she has perfected it into something that no one will probably ever be able to match. While other people talk about what they are going to do or try and get a bunch of people do some giving, our A lister puts her purse out there and writes really big checks to help kids. She has given at least a million dollars a year every year for the last ten years to children's organizations. Nothing in the news. No splashy announcements. She goes and visits the organizations when she can. Sometimes there is press there, but she prefers it to be all about her and the kids. At most of them she does not even wear much makeup and doesn't wear heels either. The diva is gone and in the diva's place is someone who wants to do what she can to change the lives of as many people as she can for the better. She has thousands of kids who are truly thankful for her this holiday season.
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member

Ron Perlman is not the celebrity, he the legend!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plan B.

Travelling around the UK visiting schools to support struggling young people, speaking at major conferences, making a film and album to highlight the struggles of young people etc
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently Will.I.Am does a lot of good by promoting educational programmes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is pretty nice. http://www.stroke.org.uk/news/jessie-j-and-mel-b%E2%80%99s-exclusive-offer-%E2%80%98style-stroke%E2%80%99#.ULjyRuLRsNc.twitter

Also, Alicia Keys works with almost every charity in the book and has given tons and tons of money to help out. I think it's kinda cool that she keeps relatively quiet about it.
  • joan13joan13 Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam Lambert has supported the following charities:

charity:water
    DonorsChoose.org
    GLSEN
    It Gets Better Project
    Musicians on Call
    Red Cross
    The Trevor Project

Adam and is fans have raised £2 million so far he his also doing these Charity shows soon

Cyndi Lauper And Friends To Rock New York City For Forty To None Project

VH1 Divas the VH1 DIVAS DANCE PARTY, will support the Foundation’s mission to restore public school music education nationwide.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ryan Giggs, hey he did well-known good-thing Imogen:p

Okay, couldn't resist how about this:)
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonathan Ansell runs Marathons for BCC
    He also does charity concerts
  • 5thinbetweener5thinbetweener Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently Will.I.Am does a lot of good by promoting educational programmes.

Yep. He also gave his earnings from doing The Voice UK (i think it was £500,000) to the Prince's Trust.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,929
    Forum Member
    Didier Drogba has his own foundation. He's pumped millions of his own money into charitable causes in Africa.
    http://www.thedidierdrogbafoundation.com/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Anastacia
  • kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geri Halliwell has been a Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations since 1998 and has worked tirelessly for them promoting women's rights, maternal and sexual health issues and more around the world.

George Clooney on Geri's work for the UN:
    "She was always my favorite Spice Girl; I loved her feisty approach and the fact she wasn't afraid to have an opinion. Her work with Unicef and (sexual health charity) Marie Stopes in the Third World was inspiring. And her address at a UN Youth summit in 2000 was brave - it's so easy to not get involved and she just gritted her teeth and went for it."

She is also a patron for Breast Cancer Care and has personally raised millions of pounds for the cause.
  • ChowderHeadChowderHead Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    Plan B.

Travelling around the UK visiting schools to support struggling young people, speaking at major conferences, making a film and album to highlight the struggles of young people etc

:D Middle-class numpty, trying to slum it?
  • thegirlinpinkthegirlinpink Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Leona Lewis is very supportive of animal rights and doesn't drink alcohol. She comes across as a genuinely sweet person and an all round good role model.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D Middle-class numpty, trying to slum it?

Sure.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd imagine there are some good celebrities out there. Most probably aren't though.
  • *Cadhla**Cadhla* Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love David Schwimmer, who played Ross in Friends. He is an advocate for women's issues, and stands on the board of the Rape Foundation in the States. He said about women's issues:

“I thought I could maybe give voice and give presence and get guys to see that it is their issue and it is their responsibility. I realized that these are our girlfriends, our wives, our daughters, our sisters, so it’s as much a man’s issue as it is a women’s issue."

It is so great to see a man stand up for women who are oppressed and abused. Far too often, it is left to women to fight against the violence women face at the hands of men, but David is quite right when he talks about men offering a presence. For sadly too many people have the same attitude as Peter Rippon....when it is 'just the women' who raise concerns, there are those who don't listen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    No surprise there then that we only managed to get to around 20 posts before the sarcasm started......

Ronan Keating does alot of charity work since his mother's death from cancer.