Black mustard seeds

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
Hi,

I fancy making this recipe
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/bengali_fish_curry_44820

It calls for yellow and black mustard seeds.
I have all the ingredients apart from the black mustard seeds.

Do they need replacing in the recipe? Would the recipe be fine without them?

Cheers :)

Comments

• AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would notice a difference - black mustard seeds are quite strong. You could probably get away with adding a little more mustard powder.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go out and buy some - make your own mustard with them if you don't want to use them again.
    Lots of Indian recipes, especially South Indian, use them so if you like the fish one make some different ones.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I buy my black mustard seeds on Amazon. I can't find them locally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All large supermarkets sell them.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    Go out and buy some - make your own mustard with them if you don't want to use them again.
    Lots of Indian recipes, especially South Indian, use them so if you like the fish one make some different ones.
    If I could do that I wouldn't have asked the question :D
    Nowhere to be seen in Morrisons, ASDA or Tesco. I was suprised at Tesco as they also have a world food aisle which is usually well stocked.

I've found a place on eBay that sells them for 99p free p&p for 50g.
    Trouble is there is a problem with their paypal account at the checkout.

Shame as I also ordered fenugreek seeds as i've wanted them for a while.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have an Asian shop near to you?

Problem must be at your Tesco - on line they have 5 different types and asked my MIL to have a look and they have them in her Tesco - 99p for 100gms.
  • MelodyMakerMelodyMaker Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My local sainsburys sells them in the Ethnic/Indian/Spicy, whatever that aisle is called!! If not then Holland & Barrett sell spices and I've def seen them there.
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My local sainsburys sells them in the Ethnic/Indian/Spicy, whatever that aisle is called!! If not then Holland & Barrett sell spices and I've def seen them there.

'World Food' in my local store I think, though I think I prefer your name :)
    Forum Member
    All three big supermarkets sell Mustard Seeds which are the yellow type.
    Non of them stock the black ones.

Don't have any Asian food shops in town.

I'll have to get some off eBay or Amazon :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    We got some yesterday in Tesco (because we didn't go to our usual Asian shop)! One of my favourite Indian side dishes has them in it: Gujarati green beans.
    Forum Member
    Nice, but not in my Tesco.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Nice, but not in my Tesco.

Degsyhufc, did you find black mustard seeds anywhere? I've found a recipe online which calls for them - but I haven't seen them in Morrisons or Tesco. I assume I can't (or shouldn't) substitute with the light type...
    Forum Member
    No. I found a good price on eBay but there was a problem with the PayPal account.
    They asked me to phone in the order but to me that defeats the purpose of eBay and PayPal.

I'll have a look for another shop online. Amazon seels them but had a hefty P&P for the price of the item.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    No. I found a good price on eBay but there was a problem with the PayPal account.
    They asked me to phone in the order but to me that defeats the purpose of eBay and PayPal.

I'll have a look for another shop online. Amazon seels them but had a hefty P&P for the price of the item.

Thanks! Oh, I see - sorry, I should have read the thread more :o I've heard from a friend who is giving me a packet, but I've no idea where she might have got them. The make is 'East End' spices - I've had a quick google and they have a site, but I'll find out if she bought them online or, if not, where stocks them, and post here when I do. :)
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could try this lot, they look like they have got everything anyone will need. (They list the seeds as brown mustard seeds, but it's the same thing.)

http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/

Free delivery at orders over £25, I'm sure you wouldn't have trouble finding enough stuff to fill out your order.

I'm tempted by their whole of all the different kinds of mexican chilles etc, a lot of these are hard to find.

http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/spanish-ingredients-mediterranean--mexican-food-nproducts145curpage-2-145-c.asp
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's something that Tesco carry in some of their stores, wouldn't they order some in for you if you asked?
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Thanks! Oh, I see - sorry, I should have read the thread more :o I've heard from a friend who is giving me a packet, but I've no idea where she might have got them. The make is 'East End' spices - I've had a quick google and they have a site, but I'll find out if she bought them online or, if not, where stocks them, and post here when I do. :)
    My local Tesco do stock East End spices. I have a few packs in the cupboard - Cumin, Coriander, Paprika, Chilli Seeds etc.
    Good prices too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »

Asian food shops all sell them if you have one near you.
    Those on line shops all want a fortune for postage - get somebody who lives near an Asian shop to post your some - much cheaper than on line companies, infact it looks like there could be an opening for a purveyor of mustard seeds in the UK.
    Forum Member
    I ordered off eBay. They were £1.50 for 50g but free p&p and it's surprising how much you get in a 50g pack. Probably enough to fill two standard spice jars (schwarts etc)

I stocked up on some other stuff as well

Fenugreek seeds
    Fenugreek leaves
    Curry leaves
    Thai red spice seasoning
    Ras el hanute
    Long pepper