A Cat Named Easter - A Tori Amos Appreciation Thread

Comments

• That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People on another forum are saying exactly what you said. Her voice sounds 10 times better here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    who are you at unforumzed then? ;)
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    oooh interesting collab ..... i too like the vocals ....reminds me of her collab with Tom Jones.... vocals are super effervescent ....and i do echo the production qualities on recent records as her vocals do require more reverb and air than given on recent albums
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who are you at unforumzed then? ;)
    Someone who's been banned twice for sticking up for Tori!
    Forum Member
    Opening night of 'the light princess' at the National Theatre.

Good Luck Tori !
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beautiful song. Thanks for posting. I kind of lost track of what Tori has been up to recently. I love the electronics on it. It reminds me of song like Datura. I know some fans love her with just the piano but I kind of get bored with that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Standing ovation tonight.
    Forum Member
    for new to tori, fans and acquaintances,

I have been asked to rate my favourite albums - i think that it is perhaps better if I review all albums ...here goes..... this hurts a little doing this - but I am honest about it....even as an uber fan :)

[mark out of 5 and short accompanying caption review]

Y Kant Tori Read - Y Kant Tori Read [ *** undiscovered 80s gloss and kooky rock pop ]

Little Earthquakes [ **** piano driven melodic siren songs that are from the heart that cut deeper]

Under the Pink [**** a visceral impressionistic painting with handfuls of grit, religion and societal rejection]

Boys for Pele [**** blood and guts - warm and wet]

From the Choirgirl Hotel [**** electronic heart beats echo in a metal driven British city]

To Venus and Back (*** 1/2 ... no air.... no space ...just orbital rioting and bliss)

Strange Girls (*** alternative perspective on popular or familiar songs - the unheard voice sings)

Scarlett's walk (*** 3/4 mainstream US road journey)

The Beekeeper (*** mixed collection of pop-classical and continuation of Scarlet sounding m/o/r singlets - mixed sound production quality)

American Doll Posse (*** 3/4 a return to the BFP; LE songs form the heart and soul ... but track listing too long...)

Abnormally Addicted to Sin ( *** smokey electro trip hop - sound mixing mixed]

Midwinter Graces (** 1/2 fantastic and alternative in places, bad mixing and mastering in places, bland in some places!)

Night of the hunters (** 1/2 classical but dull and overlong and forgettable in places with terrible mixing and Tori's vocals are too dry in the mix)
    Forum Member
    my faves on my current playlist:-

raspberry swirl (lip gloss mix)
    [i would love to hear other mixes of this track it is so epic!)

mother (alternate mix)

walk to dublin

home on the range (cherokee edition)

on the boundary
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aw I love Mother. Don't hear much of a difference in the A Piano version though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump. Night of Hunters has become one of my favourite Tori albums.
    Forum Member
    night of the hunters - left me a little disconnected? I am not sure why?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me neither!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New album and tour in Spring! Unrepentant Geraldines. ToriAmos.com has more info.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That_Guy wrote: »
    New album and tour in Spring! Unrepentant Geraldines. ToriAmos.com has more info.

Great news! I'm so excited to have her return to contemporary pop music. I respect her creativity but the classically influenced stuff she has been doing the last couple of years doesn't do it for me. I can't wait to see her live again. Her last tour with the string quartet was the first tour of hers I didn't see. Do we have any information about what type of music will be on the new album? I know some fans like her doing just stripped down piano stuff, but I like it when she incorporates other elements like electronics into her sound.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No details about the sound or the explanation of the title. Keep an eye on the website I guess!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the urban dictionary, here's the meaning of Geraldine. Sounds just like Tori!

A very smart, sweet girl with lots of things on her mind. She may seem distracted a lot and that's because she is most of the time. Very creative and sometimes shy. She always has to have music on, silence is her only weakness. She doesn't think she's attractive but in reality she's the most gorgeous thing you'll ever meet. Often spaces out when near windows. Always contemplating something. Sugar junkie. Easy to get along with. Everyone loves her. Stands up for her friends and would never hurt anyone intentionally. Cares too much. Good judge of character. Not easily influenced. Has soo much planned for her. Remember her, she'll be widely known soon. If you fall in love with a Geraldine don't ever let her go. She likes playfighting. Looks like the most innocent person alive but can be the sexiest, kinky little thing if you get her to that stage. Likes being pushed to do better. Always looking after those around her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    November 25, 2013 – (London/New York) One of the most accomplished and respected artists, songwriters and performers of the last 20 years, Tori Amos has announced the release of a brand new album, Unrepentant Geraldines, in spring 2014.Unrepentant Geraldines, Tori Amos’ 14th studio album, will be supported by an extensive world tour starting May 7th 2014 in Dublin and heading across Europe including shows at London’s Royal Albert Hall and dates in Berlin, Paris, Amsterdam, Moscow, Warsaw and other major cities. Dates in the US and the rest of the world will follow later in 2014 and will be confirmed soon.Unrepentant Geraldines is a return to her core identity as a creator of contemporary songs of exquisite beauty following a series of more classically-inspired and innovative musical projects of the last four years. These have included the seasonal collection Midwinter Graces, the classically influenced Night of Hunters, and Gold Dust, a collection of orchestral reworkings of songs from across her career. Released in October 2012 Gold Dust included Flavor, which was remixed by the late DJ Peter Rauhofer and peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot Club Dance Chart in February 2013.Last month Tori Amos also launched her most ambitious project to date as a composer, along with book writer Samuel Adamson, when their musical The Light Princess premiered at London’s National Theatre for the start of an initial run which is confirmed until at least February 2014. At the prestigious UK Evening Standard Drama Awards earlier this month The Light Princess was nominated for Best Musical and leading lady Rosalie Craig won the Best Musical Performance category.Fuelled by this array of unique projects and experiences Unrepentant Geraldines is both one further step in the artistic evolution of one of the most successful and influential artists of her generation and a return to the inspiring and personal music that Amos is known for all around the world.Tori Amos has sold over 12 million albums, has played over a thousand shows and has won numerous awards. Since the release of her debut album Little Earthquakes in 1992 where she pushed boundaries with her confessional style of songwriting, Amos continues to be adored, picking up new fans along the way, romanced by her messages of empowerment, tenderness, acerbic assertiveness, and of course her utterly peerless sound.A pioneer across multiple platforms, Tori Amos was the first major label artist to offer a single for download. She has had her songs turned into graphic novels and has produced groundbreaking videos throughout her career. Ms. Amos is also a noted humanitarian and co-founder of RAINN (Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network), which is the United States’ largest anti-sexual assault organizationUnrepentant Geraldines will be released on Mercury Classics internationally and on Mercury Classics/Universal Music Classics in the US.
  • playitagainplayitagain Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    thankyou for the info on the new album your efforts on this thread are very welcomed by this tori fan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problem. I'd really like a bit more information though!
    Forum Member
    Such exciting news! A return to her as an artist and a tour! Love the title ... When do the tickets go on sale?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's this weekend. Keep an eye on undented.com and toriamos.com. I wanna go to Manchester and Glasgow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's this weekend. Keep an eye on undented.com and toriamos.com. I wanna go to Manchester and Glasgow.

Great! I can't wait to get tickets. The great thing about her is even if you don't her latest album, she does play a lot of her older music, even quite obscure album tracks and some great covers. Sometimes, though, I do think she could play some more of her newer material. But I guess that would upset some fans who seem to be down on her more recent albums even though I personally love them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone who's been banned twice for sticking up for Tori!

I like Tori but I don't usually visit forums dedicated to her. But I went to unforumzed and I was shocked about how critical they are of her there. They seem to dislike everything about her, her voice, her fashion, her lyrics, her recent music etc. What is up with that? And I thought Madonna fans were critical sometimes! I'm not saying an artist can't be validly criticized by fans sometimes since no one is perfect, but Wow! The most bizarre thing they said there was they didn't like her more bizarre avant garde fashions she wears onstage and that it distracts from her music and it makes her shallow. But to me her fashion is part of her art and creativity in the same way that Madonna's stage costumes are. It's not really shallow to me. To me music and fashion kind of go together. When I think about it most of the artists I really love are very fashion forward. It doesn't distract from the music at all for me. I don't want a singer to dress like a normal person at the office!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    night of the hunters - left me a little disconnected? I am not sure why?

Are you not a classical music fan? It's probably my least favourite by her just because I'm not really a classical music fan. I know Tori has a certain classical element to her music with the piano but I like it better when she mixes in contemporary elements like electronics or guitar/bass/drums with her keyboards. Also because it's based around prior musical themes, to me it doesn't have the true Tori creativity I was looking for.