Are Irish people foreign?

1235»

Comments

• The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    Josquius wrote: »
    No but nationalism and being anti-anything-remotely-British purely for the sake of it is.

Ireland hasn't been anti British for a long time now, much the same as Britain is no longer anti Irish. All in the past.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i really hope you didn't pursue a career involving anything to do with geography :D
    I would have with thought that sort of knowledge he would be perfect as a Ryanair pilot.

After all their flights to "Vienna" don't even land in Austria :)
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    Are u in ireland/Eire then? :D

indeed I am:)
  • JosquiusJosquius Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ireland hasn't been anti British for a long time now, much the same as Britain is no longer anti Irish. All in the past.

Ireland in general hasn't no. I was speaking of the Irish far right though. To hear some of the garbage they spew out you'd think it was still the 1920s.
    Hell.
    Not even that.
    An alternate universe 1920s where the dastardly Brits are forever plotting to conquer Ireland and eat all the babies.
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    Ireland in general hasn't no. I was speaking of the Irish far right though. To hear some of the garbage they spew out you'd think it was still the 1920s.
    Hell.
    Not even that.
    An alternate universe 1920s where the dastardly Brits are forever plotting to conquer Ireland and eat all the babies.

They never ate, they just drowned them.
  • blue_cobaltblue_cobalt Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    I ignored her but my english mates and incidentally others in the pub confronted her and told her she was out of line!!

I really like the english and I loved living in England

All 50 million of them?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only outside Ireland!
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hell.
    Not even that.

who are u talking about when you refer to the irish far right? we don't have a far right party

If you're referring to Sinn Fein, then they are left wing :D
  • IndoIndo Posts: 1,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    I would have with thought that sort of knowledge he would be perfect as a Ryanair pilot.

After all their flights to "Vienna" don't even land in Austria :)

The point I was making was that no one in the entire Island calls Ireland Eire. It's a foreign to us as is some remote part of Scotland. It's only used in England.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No but nationalism and being anti-anything-remotely-British purely for the sake of it is.

nationalism does not necessarily equate to being right wing

Also where have you gotten the idea that people in Ireland are anti british? most people were anti british rule NOT anti british and there is a big difference

you seem to think Irish people all hate britain but i suggest you come and visit Ireland and you'll see the complete opposite
  • JosquiusJosquius Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nationalism does not necessarily equate to being right wing
    Yes it does.
    Nationalism=right wing.
    Internationalism=left wing.
    Also where have you gotten the idea that people in Ireland are anti british? most people were anti british rule NOT anti british and there is a big difference
    Where did you get that idea?
    you seem to think Irish people all hate britain but i suggest you come and visit Ireland and you'll see the complete opposite

err what? I do?

who are u talking about when you refer to the irish far right? we don't have a far right party

If you're referring to Sinn Fein, then they are left wing
    Iffy.
    The BNP are technically left wing on a lot of fronts. However the only important thing about them is their nationalism, its overriding. Hence they're far right.
    Sinn Fein....their left wing stuff is more than lip service. What with them getting some real power it has to be. Nonetheless for many of their number the nationalism is all that counts. Perhaps because there isn't an out and out far right party the Irish far right tends to end up under their banner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes it does.
    Nationalism=right wing.
    Internationalism=left wing.

Where did you get that idea?

err what? I do?

Iffy.
    The BNP are technically left wing on a lot of fronts. However the only important thing about them is their nationalism, its overriding. Hence they're far right.
    Sinn Fein....their left wing stuff is more than lip service. What with them getting some real power it has to be. Nonetheless for many of their number the nationalism is all that counts. Perhaps because there isn't an out and out far right party the Irish far right tends to end up under their banner.

there's no irish equivalent to the BNP thank god!! although nick griffin apparantly was trying to get together with irish fascists on the internet to start one up :eek::eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there's no irish equivalent to the BNP thank god!! although nick griffin apparantly was trying to get together with irish fascists on the internet to start one up :eek::eek:
    There doesn't need to be, it's the basis of Nationalism and the Republic.

Sinn Fein = "we ourselves". Who's 'we'?
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    bean999 wrote: »
    There doesn't need to be, it's the basis of Nationalism and the Republic.

Sinn Fein = "we ourselves". Who's 'we'?

When they were founded it was along the lines of we ourselves should have the right of self determination rather than having to submit to an occupying power. We ourselves being the Irish people.
  • pinkteddyx64pinkteddyx64 Posts: 2,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most EU countries have better survival rates than the UK.
    Really? :rolleyes: And just WHERE is your evidence to support your propaganda? :confused::rolleyes:

I hate it when somebody on the Digital Spy forums posts something like what you just posted, but doesn't cite their sources! :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Irish nation extends over the whole of Ireland. There is overlap with the British nation, but this doesn't change that fact. Part of the Irish nation is within the UK, so by definition a lot of Irish people are not in any way foreign.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering Ireland used to be part of the UK, are Irish people really foreign? Or are they less foreign than people from other countries?
    Probably the real answer is it's up to them, not up to us (UK passport holders). I've just had a conversation with someone living in London who regards the English as if they were Eskimos. When I said to him I didn't see he was different from me he wasn't having it! So some are foreign, some aren't. In the Republic you can join the GAA and look down your nose at basically everybody else, or you can mix in with your neighbours. Set your own horizon I suppose.

My relatives were always anglophiles in modern language, or just British in old language. Just your average middle class people. Personally I am a bit foreign, not because of my Irish connections, but because of my weird Polish/Lithuanian/Belarussian ones :). Although these days even that doesn't matter very much.