Is Day of the Doctor being screened in UK Cinemas?

EurobinEurobin Posts: 719
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all,

I have searched but found no threads or official sites to confirm this (I see Australia have) but I am looking for UK cinema information.

So can anyone confirm, is 'Day of the Doctor' being screened in UK Cinemas on 23.11.13 (Simulcast)?

Many thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    As far as i'm aware it definitely is, and in 3D too!

I was going to get tickets but it looks like they're mostly sold out? (for pre-booking, not sure if they're generally available yet) I know a few people who got their tickets booked weeks and weeks ago :)
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    A couple of cinemas around here(south east London) have already told people they're doing it, but nothing's been officially announced so far.

A shame that I don't get on well with 3D - I would love a cinema experience for this, but there's no way I'm forking out to wear those bloody glasses and feel slightly awry afterwards.
    Forum Member
    I imagine it would be worth putting up with the 3D, didn't the beeb announce a long time ago that they would be showing it in 3D?

I'd like to hope that if that's the case they'd have filmed it with that in mind so it looks amazing in 3D instead of that kind of rubbish depth of field post production 3D nonsense you seem to always get with 3D now.

You know, the kind that looks like those old pop up books where in the middle you can move stuff like a puppet so it's 3D, cool in books but looks horrible on screen imo :)
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i know my local cineworld is,BUT they cant sell tickets until the BBC allow them to,and i suspect the cost will be the same as the screening of any other event (such as a Opera/Play/Ballet/Concert)
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine it would be worth putting up with the 3D, didn't the beeb announce a long time ago that they would be showing it in 3D?

I'd like to hope that if that's the case they'd have filmed it with that in mind so it looks amazing in 3D instead of that kind of rubbish depth of field post production 3D nonsense you seem to always get with 3D now.

You know, the kind that looks like those old pop up books where in the middle you can move stuff like a puppet so it's 3D, cool in books but looks horrible on screen imo :)

I wonder which image they will use for the 2D version if it has been filmed properly in 3D?
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I wonder which image they will use for the 2D version if it has been filmed properly in 3D?

I don't know the technicalities but I imagine they would know what to use, many films are filmed using 3D cameras and are still available in 2D

Unless i'm missing the point? New to this haha
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The left one.
  • Dr2PatDr2Pat Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    A couple of cinemas around here(south east London) have already told people they're doing it, but nothing's been officially announced so far.

A shame that I don't get on well with 3D - I would love a cinema experience for this, but there's no way I'm forking out to wear those bloody glasses and feel slightly awry afterwards.

I'm from South East London. Could you say which cinemas around here have said this, Abomination?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cy_bones wrote: »
    The left one.

is that the better quality one and the other one less good or something?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is that the better quality one and the other one less good or something?
    No idea, but it's a choice of two images, both should be the same quality.
    I imagine that they just pick one of the streams something like this:
    http://www.2d-glasses.com/how

(Obviously without the glasses, they just take one as the master image)
  • Ben_FreemanBen_Freeman Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    I want to know if Southampton cineworld are showing it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to know if Southampton cineworld are showing it

i would suspect so,considering my local one is(well is but it isn't as its not official yet)
  • ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,905
    Forum Member
    As far as i'm aware it definitely is, and in 3D too!

I was going to get tickets but it looks like they're mostly sold out? (for pre-booking, not sure if they're generally available yet) I know a few people who got their tickets booked weeks and weeks ago :)

Where are the tickets bookable as not seen anywhere where and im pretty sure they wont all be sold out
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where are the tickets bookable as not seen anywhere where and im pretty sure they wont all be sold out

they are on sale in Australia and NZ,but not in the UK as they haven't even announced the cinemas showing it here
    Forum Member
    So when will we know
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Dr2Pat wrote: »
    I'm from South East London. Could you say which cinemas around here have said this, Abomination?

Well I live in Bromley at the moment, and I was told that at least one of the two Croydon Vue cinemas would be showing the anniversary special and both would be promoting it. Also heard it was being shown at the O2 in Greenwich and a friend told me that they'd heard the same from a cinema in Bexleyheath. :)

Hope this helps, even if it's not much to go on right now.

And in regards to people asking about which eye they'll use for the 2D version, I'm not sure which way around it is but if I remember correctly then one image focuses more on details and the other image focuses on the depth of field (the one we wouldn't need for 2D images). :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So when will we know

as soon as the Beeb lift the embargo it will be on the websites of any cinema chain showing it
    Forum Member
    Hope its soon then and at cineworld southampton
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope its soon then and at cineworld southampton

i suspect it will be;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And in regards to people asking about which eye they'll use for the 2D version, I'm not sure which way around it is but if I remember correctly then one image focuses more on details and the other image focuses on the depth of field (the one we wouldn't need for 2D images). :)

It was me who asked about which was used for the 2D version, I get what your saying so the second image (not used for 2D) doesnt give detail and wouldnt look good, I suppose, if it was viewed on its own?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was me who asked about which was used for the 2D version, I get what your saying so the second image (not used for 2D) doesnt give detail and wouldnt look good, I suppose, if it was viewed on its own?

think of a 3d image as 2 2d images spaced slightly differently
  • Dr2PatDr2Pat Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    Well I live in Bromley at the moment, and I was told that at least one of the two Croydon Vue cinemas would be showing the anniversary special and both would be promoting it. Also heard it was being shown at the O2 in Greenwich and a friend told me that they'd heard the same from a cinema in Bexleyheath. :)

Hope this helps, even if it's not much to go on right now.

Thanks Abomination, O2 cineworld is perfect for me as I live in Charlton so only a short bus ride away.

Surely the details on the Cinema showing must be announced within the next week. They've got to announce it so the cinemas themselves so they can start taking pre-booking.
    I hope they'll show it for a few days afterwards as well, just like Australia are, because there will be a lot of fans who won't be able to see it in the cinema on the night.
  • EurobinEurobin Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies.
    So hopefully any time soon we should see more information coming through from the cinemas. A case of watch this space! :)

All going well hope to be able to see it at Cineworld in Ashford, Kent as I am back in the UK that week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    think of a 3d image as 2 2d images spaced slightly differently

I got that that bit, Im talking about what each of the 2 2D images look like if viewed separately its interesting that each one has different qualities, but I have to say its not what normal 3D vision is like so I can see how people dont get on with it now!
    I have to say, if one image is more on depth and the other on detail, then when viewing a 3D film, your eyes are missing detail, as normally both our eyes can handle both of these functions in each eye!
    So if the film makers are to improve 3D, then they need to produce both the images to be detailed and give a good impression of depth!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurobin wrote: »
    ...All going well hope to be able to see it at Cineworld in Ashford, Kent...
    Me too! :D