Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Well, yeah, that's not what we call HIPAA approved conversation about a patient. :)

I always wondered that maybe they don't have HIPAA type laws/rules in England. Or maybe they're not as stringent. I am always surprised when he talks to patients in public or about them, too. I don't think they would have him doing those types of things in an American program, but it must not be distracting to UK viewers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    For all the cross-communication of Series 5, it struck me the way Louisa handled the news of Joan's death was exactly what Martin needed.

She didn't burst into tears -- although Joan was a good friend who had been especially kind to Louisa during the pregnancy. Martin doesn't handle crying well.

She didn't fling herself into Martin's arms. She quietly said she was so sorry. She knew he wasn't one for public displays of affection. Even slipping her hand in his at the funeral was met with surprise, although seemed welcome.

She politely got rid of Joe Penhale -- which was what Martin needed.

She did as he asked and took Aunt Ruth into the church, again helping him in the way he wanted, not as she thought he needed.

In those few scenes, we got a glimpse of how well-suited Martin and Louisa could be -- if they would only get out of their own ways :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I always wondered that maybe they don't have HIPAA type laws/rules in England. Or maybe they're not as stringent. I am always surprised when he talks to patients in public or about them, too. I don't think they would have him doing those types of things in an American program, but it must not be distracting to UK viewers.

I'm pretty sure the rules are similar - look how often DM tells LG he can't discuss a patient with her. UK rules are similar to Australian ones.

I'm also sure "House" and "Becker" break confidentiality rules, for what it's worth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the rules are similar - look how often DM tells LG he can't discuss a patient with her. UK rules are similar to Australian ones.

I'm also sure "House" and "Becker" break confidentiality rules, for what it's worth.

Likewise on Education issues

It's a fictional TV series

Not a fly-on-the-wall documentary

I love the Portwenn Effect ...:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »

I hardly watch those shows, and certainly never paid close attention to them. :). But I've gotten used to suspending my disbelief with DM. I always figured talking about other patients in the waiting room, or approaching them at festivals to discuss their medical conditions isn't common in real life England.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hardly watch those shows, and certainly never paid close attention to them. :). But I've gotten used to suspending my disbelief with DM. I always figured talking about other patients in the waiting room, or approaching them at festivals to discuss their medical conditions isn't common in real life England.

I must admit I cringed watching the very first episode s1 when DM first saw and then rushed after the Major yelling. I thought it was a far too personal issue to deal with in public and was worried he'd blurt it out in front of everyone.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    Likewise on Education issues

It's a fictional TV series

Not a fly-on-the-wall documentary

I love the Portwenn Effect ...:)

Yes, the rules are the same. But, just like DM's physical exams are amazingly abbreviated, things like HIPAA fall prey to to whatever plot amusement they need to present to the audience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookfan2 wrote: »
    For all the cross-communication of Series 5, it struck me the way Louisa handled the news of Joan's death was exactly what Martin needed.

She didn't burst into tears -- although Joan was a good friend who had been especially kind to Louisa during the pregnancy. Martin doesn't handle crying well.

She didn't fling herself into Martin's arms. She quietly said she was so sorry. She knew he wasn't one for public displays of affection. Even slipping her hand in his at the funeral was met with surprise, although seemed welcome.

She did as he asked and took Aunt Ruth into the church, again helping him in the way he wanted, not as she thought he needed.

In those few scenes, we got a glimpse of how well-suited Martin and Louisa could be -- if they would only get out of their own ways :)

See how one scene is "seen" by the audience in different ways? I was a little disappointed with LG's off/on response to the announcement of AJ's death. Yes, getting rid of Penhale was very well done, absolutely. And, her hand holding at the funeral was good, but with DM so focused on the late ambulance his mind wasn't really on being close to her, but his aggravation with the Potes. That was nice, but bad timing.

The best timing was right at the announcement.

I really wonder if her distance from DM during that tense scene set the stage, perhaps, for their growing distance in that series. If she cannot be closer to him during his (and perhaps their shared) moment of grief and distress, how would DM know to be close to her regarding what dinner she wished to eat? DM needs instruction, and I think LG missed a big chance to teach him how to be close, to help, to express love at a key moment.

All throughout the series LG wants overt and verbal expressions of love, and yet, first off, when she had the ability to set the stage, to show how to do it, to sit beside him, hold his hand, perhaps even kiss his cheek, express her own sadness for AJ's death, ask him how he is doing and how she could help, she pulls back and stands limply there in the room. DM learns little from her at that vital moment on how a couple can process things together through love and support.

I wish she had done more.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All good points. I also think that the conversation they were having about his impressions of the new doctor was a good, normal, "couple" type of communication. I believe this was the conversation they were in the middle of when they were interrupted by Penhale.

Their time in Louisa's rented cottage strikes me as being the best time for them as a family. Once they moved back into the surgery it all started to unravel. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See how one scene is "seen" by the audience in different ways? I was a little disappointed with LG's off/on response to the announcement of AJ's death. Yes, getting rid of Penhale was very well done, absolutely. And, her hand holding at the funeral was good, but with DM so focused on the late ambulance his mind wasn't really on being close to her, but his aggravation with the Potes. That was nice, but bad timing.

I really wonder if her distance from DM during that tense scene set the stage, perhaps, for their growing distance in that series. If she cannot be closer to him during his (and perhaps their shared) moment of grief and distress, how would DM know to be close to her regarding what dinner she wished to eat? DM needs instruction, and I think LG missed a big chance to teach him how to be close, to help, to express love at a key moment.

All throughout the series LG wants overt and verbal expressions of love, and yet, first off, when she had the ability to set the stage, to show how to do it, to sit beside him, hold his hand, perhaps even kiss his cheek, express her own sadness for AJ's death, ask him how he is doing and how she could help, she pulls back and stands limply there in the room. DM learns little from her at that vital moment on how a couple can process things together through love and support.

I was disappointed too in the way the producers had Louisa handle the news about AJ's death. Maybe the justification was that, up to that moment, the Doc was planning to leave for good for London within the next few hours (at the most). Maybe they felt Louisa would hold back because she still was thinking he's going to leave. Or that she thought he wouldn't want to be touched or hugged. Whatever the reason, I feel certain that there was a discussion and thought given to how that scene would be written and played.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. I've never said how much I think the opening panoramas with cows, rocks blended together with the cha-cha theme are really, really inspired!

2. Okay, another air bag hits the Doc in the face. In the latter episodes, does the hitting the head, etc. diminish with the loss of the blood phobia? Is this a coincidence or a correlation?

3. Sex on the kitchen table, again - this time with Al and Pauline. Aaaargh - all the episodes are blending together. Can't anyone, including DM and LG, have sex in bed? Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to settle for the Doc and Louisa having sex on a table, couch, shower, floor, car. . . To have a baby with so little sex just isn't right!

4. The Flynt son wants medication - like the rest of the village - without an exam.

5. Mark's sister, Sandra, is definitely a threat to the Doc in more than one way. She's out to steal his patients and she's a bad influence on Louisa. Interesting that Sandra's taking Marks' radio without asking mirrors her stealing the Doc's other vital interests.

6. Louisa and the breath thing - she continues to react to that one taxi moment. No one else detects bad breath and the Doc never brings this up as a problem again.

7. Here we have yet another village family member who doesn't want the Doc to help his patient. This theme plays out quite often.

8. It's clear the Doc doesn't like or is uncomfortable making house calls, but he does. In fact, he's intrepid about tracking down problems and checking on patients, whether or not they want to see him. We have to admire that.

9. Love the parrot in the pub that mocks the Doc.

10. Mark's sister isn't the only one undermining the Doc - it's Danny with Louisa. Not a good time for DM.

11. Bert and Al. Is the conclusion that Bert is not Al's father or that we do not know?

12. Mark and DM have a scene similar to that of LG and the Doc with the badger-burning mother. They're united in their displeasure at Mark's sister. Despite that, it doesn't seem to bring Mark and Martin closer.

13. I found the physical intimidation by Father Flynt of the Doc interesting, despite the fact that Flynt is about a head shorter. I think the Doc being pushed around physically is fascinating, despite his verbal assaults on people.

14. Okay, here we have the Doc in bed again in a t-shirt. I'm still confused - just where did those Pajamas of Steel come from in S5?

15. Al confiding in AJ sets the pattern of his close relationship with both of DM's aunts.

16. Is there any significance to the graveyard of appliances in back of the Flynts' house? Were these all destined as repositories for taxidermy parts?

17. Is it just a coincidence that two people struggling with their sanity (Stewart and Mr. Flynt) manage to call DM "Doctor Ellingham" while other villagers don't and won't? And why won't they?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And, her hand holding at the funeral was good, but with DM so focused on the late ambulance his mind wasn't really on being close to her, but his aggravation with the Potes. That was nice, but bad timing.

Ooops! Me correcting me. Of course, I meant "hearse". An ambulance coming would have been WAAYYYYYYY too late....:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was disappointed too in the way the producers had Louisa handle the news about AJ's death. Maybe the justification was that, up to that moment, the Doc was planning to leave for good for London within the next few hours (at the most). Maybe they felt Louisa would hold back because she still was thinking he's going to leave. Or that she thought he wouldn't want to be touched or hugged. Whatever the reason, I feel certain that there was a discussion and thought given to how that scene would be written and played.

I agree, Dcdmfan. They probably discussed LG's reaction a lot on that Monday night phone call and with the writers and directors. Perhaps since S5 was all about emotional distance--though WHY I cannot comprehend--perhaps it seemed right to start off with LG that way. But, I wish it would have been different.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with this. I think their relationship was very fragile at this point and he was planning to leave for London in the next few hours. I think that if this had happened after the end of S5 (after he opened his heart to her) Louisa might have been bolder in comforting him.

The more I think of it, when I thought about it unraveling when they moved into the surgery, maybe it had to do with Martin feeling more in control on his turf - and maybe becoming more Dr Ellingham there. When they were in the cottage, he was very soft and talked quietly like we have sometimes seen when he addresses Louisa. So maybe in the cottage he was more Martin. At the surgery he was more Dr Ellingham. In the cottage he seemed to get along pretty well with Louisa, so that gives me hope that if she can get him to stay Martin there is hope for them as a couple.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I agree with this. I think their relationship was very fragile at this point and he was planning to leave for London in the next few hours. I think that if this had happened after the end of S5 (after he opened his heart to her) Louisa might have been bolder in comforting him.

The more I think of it, when I thought about it unraveling when they moved into the surgery, maybe it had to do with Martin feeling more in control on his turf - and maybe becoming more Dr Ellingham there. When they were in the cottage, he was very soft and talked quietly like we have sometimes seen when he addresses Louisa. So maybe in the cottage he was more Martin.

At the surgery he was more Dr Ellingham. In the cottage he seemed to get along pretty well with Louisa, so that gives me hope that if she can get him to stay Martin there is hope for them as a couple.

When I got married my bride moved into MY apartment. It was my turf as I had been there for a year. Only when we moved to another apartment that was closer to her school, was it OUR place, and she felt a co-owner.

I can see that ME fell into "lord of the manor" mode back in the surgery cottage and LG was gobsmacked by one more change and thus being away from her territory, became a bit meeker. A second driver, if you will. Not to mention all the changes of being a new mum, and so on (night feeds, poopy nappies, a grumpy partner, and sore mammaries to boot).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member

I'm with bookfan2 on this one. With the grieving Brit less is more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    My cat died today.:cry: As I dug the grave I was thinking how wrong DM and LG are in their disdain of cats. He was an exceptional feline.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with bookfan2 on this one. With the grieving Brit less is more.

I thought he radiated "don't touch me." I think she knew that he didn't want to break down And probably would have rebuffed her had she approached him. And Louisa was sensitive to this, and kind and let him take the comfort he needed from the baby.

I like the discussion about his house/her house, and the difference it made in each of their attitudes.

In fact, I hope they spend their first night after the Castle at her house -- that's where the crib/cot is, isn't it?
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat died today.:cry: As I dug the grave I was thinking how wrong DM and LG are in their disdain of cats. He was an exceptional feline.

:cry: Hard to lose a pet. Still miss the little cat our daughter left with us when she moved to England, who came to a sad end (the cat).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just finished catching up and will have comments coming tomorrow, but I have to say now how sorry I am to hear that your cat died. I've been there, with dogs in my case, and I know how difficult it is. The world doesn't quite understand, which makes it even more painful. You have my sympathy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm so sorry for your loss. I spent the evening with my 18 year old little guy sleeping on my lap and I know I will also be there soon. :cry:
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So sorry for your loss. Please take comfort to know that somewhere out there is a cat awaiting your adoption to be loved and cherished by you. And......when the appropriate time comes......if it is a male consider naming him Martin and if a female name her Louise-er.:)

On another note Hurricane Sandy is heading for us in New Jersey. For those of you far away from the east coast and other parts of the world, Sandy is the big bullseye, encircled by a large northeast'-rn storm and a full moon indicating high tides. All public transportation has been halted in the New York-New Jersey metro area and we are told to stay indoors. I am in a town in Union County which is in the northern part. It is predicted that there will be power outages which will probably last about a week before it is restored. I have 2 portable dvd players so they are fully charged up with my English program dvds standing by when reading a book by flashlight is not enjoyable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    So sorry for your loss. Please take comfort to know that somewhere out there is a cat awaiting your adoption to be loved and cherished by you. And......when the appropriate time comes......if it is a male consider naming him Martin and if a female name her Louise-er.:)

On another note Hurricane Sandy is heading for us in New Jersey. For those of you far away from the east coast and other parts of the world, Sandy is the big bullseye, encircled by a large northeast'-rn storm and a full moon indicating high tides. All public transportation has been halted in the New York-New Jersey metro area and we are told to stay indoors. I am in a town in Union County which is in the northern part. It is predicted that there will be power outages which will probably last about a week before it is restored. I have 2 portable dvd players so they are fully charged up with my English program dvds standing by when reading a book by flashlight is not enjoyable.

We are all watching your weather here in the UK

Keep safe X
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    marchrand wrote: »

I'm in the Washington, DC area and this region is shut down, too. Buses and trains, school, local and Federal Government all closed! At the moment, we have steady rain and light winds, compared with what we are expecting come nightfall. Here we go! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To everyone in the group who lives on the US East coast, stay safe! As soon as you're able (have power, etc) please check in with us to let us know you're okay.
This discussion has been closed.