TV always showing rubbish?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As the title says.

Plenty of channels but most are garbage. What's the solution to these failing tv channels?

Do TLC and the new UKTV Drama channels really add to the line up? Is the best Sky1 can offer cheap tv shows about Greggs the bakers?

Comments

• dynamicsdynamics Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, but thats a pretty ridiculous thread topic.

No general solution is required.

You have no requirement or obligation to consume this "rubbish". Your personal solution to your perceived issue is if you dont like whats on, or cant find anything to watch, turn the damn thing off and go do something else instead.
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    tv shows rubbish thats like saying the skys blue
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble is something you regard as rubbish another person will think it's very entertaining or interesting.It's a common theme on DS that posters think the channels should be planned only for their personal tastes. When you think about it, that's impossible.
  • The_SmegThe_Smeg Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    all of the channels i have watch of late are rubbish an mainly repeating
    bbc 1 is the main culprit all day repeating;
    this is reason why i am going ditch my tv whats the point in it
    when changing some channels all we get is repeated adverts an are getting longer than normal some were showing for 10mins till the show starts an even that was a repeat.
    tv as we no it will get worst...
    an i use to think that the channel FOX on virgin 185 was the best station now that showing repeats all day
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I long for the good old days pre 1972.

3 channels.

BBC1 and ITV not on air till 4'45pm BBC2 not on air till 7.30pm.

So many good programmes then.

Now we have hundreds of channels on 24 hours a day and not enough talent, or big enough programme budgets to make anything worth watching.

News Channel tends to be my default option, so at least I know what is going on in the world.
  • The_SmegThe_Smeg Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    the news n sky sports news are showing loops all day long - never changes
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very much the modern free-market ideology to do nothing about the quality of the free-market.

"the market will find it's level" say the crazy zealots.

Yes, the bottom...

"Don't watch!" they say, as if sticking your head in the sand ever solved anything.
  • HenryVIIIHenryVIII Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst all channels are filled with a lot of rubbish*, there is still collectively more than enough good stuff to satisfy the majority of viewers I would think.
    That's why we have PVRs. To assemble your own channel of the best, so you can simply avoid all the rest.

*as in whatever the particular viewer perceives as rubbish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Do you ever stop winging? If you don't like it watch youtube or Netflix or Blinkbox, buy DVDs or listen to the radio...
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the title says.

Plenty of channels but most are garbage. What's the solution to these failing tv channels?

Do TLC and the new UKTV Drama channels really add to the line up? Is the best Sky1 can offer cheap tv shows about Greggs the bakers?

This is why I got rid of it, stopped paying the TV licence and uses Netflix only. Ok, one of the reasons, the main one was BBC selling out to Sky with the Grandprix. that was the last straw to be honest.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately the advent of more channels under the guise of "more viewer choice" didn't actually bring more quality programming. It brought a lot of crap spread very very thinly over these channels. Mainly because although broadcasters were very keen to increase their presence in channel lineups the money wasn't there to actually make any new shows for all these extra channels.

Look at channels like More 4 - it is essentially Come Dine With Me and Grand Designs 24/7. When the idea of More 4 was first mooted it was supposed to be a "grown up" channel from the Channel 4 stable offering some new and intelligent programming.

VERY occasionally you get the odd gem turn up on More 4 but most of the time its dross repeated over and over again.

Maybe the days of just 4 channels were actually better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HenryVIII wrote: »
    Whilst all channels are filled with a lot of rubbish*, there is still collectively more than enough good stuff to satisfy the majority of viewers I would think.
    That's why we have PVRs. To assemble your own channel of the best, so you can simply avoid all the rest.

*as in whatever the particular viewer perceives as rubbish.

The economics of TV production are affected when audiences are spread out over many many channels.

The money available per programme becomes gradually less. The risk that can be afforded also becomes less. Programmes become "safer" and more derivative. Reboots galour.

So while a "best of the channels" personal channel can be assembled, every year it will be of a lesser and lesser quality.

Which I think is what we see.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a big world and whilst one person may see the next programme as rubish it may well be the best thing ever for another. I do think there are a numer of channels with shows that I will mostly give a miss but that will only be my choice and I have to respect that there may well be loads of others who can't wait for that very show to start.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll find plenty of good programming if you have the patience to look for it, far more on TV than Netflix unless you prefer tat and tut American junk.

Has the OP tried reading a book when bored ?
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get yourself a PVR and only record what you want to watch.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    The economics of TV production are affected when audiences are spread out over many many channels.

The money available per programme becomes gradually less. The risk that can be afforded also becomes less. Programmes become "safer" and more derivative. Reboots galour.

So while a "best of the channels" personal channel can be assembled, every year it will be of a lesser and lesser quality.

Which I think is what we see.

Added to which there's only so many good ideas, good writers, good actors, and finite budgets for TV programming at any one time. Back in the day when there were only three or four channels, the percentage of quality programming would have seemed much higher.

I think there may also be a tendency to fondly remember things in the past as being brilliant, when in reality that was all there was. Nowadays when things are being evaluated by loads of reviews, forums, etc, there's a higher critical standard. The Godfather still holds up as a great film more than 40 years after it was made, but there are not many TV programmes from that era which people still watch today. Relentless repeats of Dad's Army on BBC 2 being a notable exception.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i agree

there are far too many channels that have shown the same program over and over again, especially NEW channels that have them because they simply do not have the new programming to fill their schedules! (TLC)

there now needs to be a real concentration of such 2nd level programming!

there are PLENTY of youtube and other internet video channels that can use this space, and would be a welcome change to the usual repeats
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    As the title says.

You and your trash talking on today's state of British telly again :yawn: Amazed you have never been banned.
  • d2macrejectd2macreject Posts: 724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The poster's spot on right.

I worked out we watched maybe 10 channels out of the Dish America's Top 250 package for which we're charged 50 quid (no premium channels in that for those who criticise Sky of
    being a rip off)

I dumped 90% of the large amount of shows I watched as I realised I was watching out of habit.

Outside of the Premier League, Fox News, HGTV and USA Network we could easily get a free to air aerial and have done. As NBC are going to be showing free Premier League every Saturday I think I'll cut the cable once the 2 year contract ends. There are other ways to get the few shows I have left.
  • cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I long for the good old days pre 1972.

3 channels.

BBC1 and ITV not on air till 4'45pm BBC2 not on air till 7.30pm.

So many good programmes then.

Now we have hundreds of channels on 24 hours a day and not enough talent, or big enough programme budgets to make anything worth watching.

News Channel tends to be my default option, so at least I know what is going on in the world.

That post says it all - in 1972, TV chaged from an entertaining medium for the viewers - to a money making medium for its executives - & the Bisto train is still getting longer every day:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cyril-furr wrote: »
    That post says it all - in 1972, TV chaged from an entertaining medium for the viewers - to a money making medium for its executives - & the Bisto train is still getting longer every day:)

It is amazing how self-serving the people in charge of all the main broadcasters are.

And it is costing them, it's that attitude that is causing the gradual rise of various other entertainments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    "I don't like what's on TV, so everyone involved is evil and deserves to die a horrible violent death"

Seriously?! TV doesn't exist to serve only you, and if you don't like what's it's showing don't watch. It isn't the downfall of society, and if you know where to look I'm sure you'll find plenty of great TV...
  • Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In other news..is TLC available on Freeview? or is it just Sky? One has a obession with Honey Boo Boo child.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I think on balance I'd rather have the choice in channels we do now, to the 3 or 4 channels there once were where sometimes (and I do remember it) there was genuinely a "nothing on" feeling.
    Now there is always "something" but it still is sometimes even across all those channels not very good, overall there ARE more programmes being made to spread across the channels but in comparison to the 70's, 80's, 90's true gems are definitely rarer to find, but they still occasionally exist.
    BBC ONE should always be the first port of call if you're looking for quality TV, but so often it isn't.
  • TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I beleive that it all boils down to that five letter word MONEY here!! TV Execs just dont want to spend their money on GOOD QUALITY programming when making acquistion deals!!

Yet, in Australia, who, by and large, has less cable/satelite channels than we do, gets EVERYTHING!! They have all the US talk shows, both daytime and late night, and even gets them 24 hours after the original airtime showing in the USA!! And yet, we are on a 2-3 week delay before we get an Ellen Degeneres Show for example!! Mind you, thats the only one we get anyway, other than the Wendy Williams Show on BET!! I think, although I am not certain about this, but Australia even gets the US Breakfast shows as well, like NBC Today, Good Morning America and CBS This Morning!!

AND YET WE IN LITTLE OLE PUNY CHEAPSKATE BRITAIN GETS NOTHING!!!!:mad::mad: