sports direct 'bag for life scam'

craigy132craigy132 Posts: 1,946
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just been sports direct for some trainers etc and whilst I was being served the chatty shop assistant asked if i would 'like my items in one of these large bags' and points to a large bag.
Sounded like sense so I agreed. However when I got home and looked at my reciept I had been charged 69p for the bag.
The sales assistant never said it was a chargable bag or how much it would cost.
I know its only 69p but if all sports direct staff across the country are using these tactics to offload these bags it will equal £££££s for sports direct.
I wonder if it is an actual tactic or this was just a general slip up and she assumed I understood it would be a sale?

Comments

• exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Did it have the word 'Mug' printed on it?
  • Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was caught out the same by BT. Free equipment, great, "Completely free, no cost". Next phone bill, charged for the item and a delivery charge of £6.95. Rang up and they took the cost of the item off but insisted I pay the delivery charge because it was standard. No one mentioned a delivery charge at the time. I wouldn't have minded paying it if they had done so, but it's the principal of the thing. :(
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    craigy132 wrote: »
    Just been sports direct for some trainers etc and whilst I was being served the chatty shop assistant asked if i would 'like my items in one of these large bags' and points to a large bag.
    Sounded like sense so I agreed. However when I got home and looked at my reciept I had been charged 69p for the bag.
    The sales assistant never said it was a chargable bag or how much it would cost.
    I know its only 69p but if all sports direct staff across the country are using these tactics to offload these bags it will equal £££££s for sports direct.
    I wonder if it is an actual tactic or this was just a general slip up and she assumed I understood it would be a sale?

The same was happened to me on Thursday but I'd noticed the bags behind the counter with a price tag on, I had actually thought they were 15p but could have been wrong.

Anyhow I assumed she just meant did I want a larger carrier bag and said yes, as she got the bag I commented that they were chargeable which she agreed so I asked for a normal bag. It struck me as being a bit underhand.
  • craigy132craigy132 Posts: 1,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did it have the word 'Mug' printed on it?

no, but I should have - across my forehead!!
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think pretty much all 'bags for life' cost because their larger and more durable than basic plastic bags. They should make it clear how much they cost before charging you, or at least have the price clearly displayed at the counter.
  • talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last few times I went in SportsDirect I was also asked if I wanted thier large bag, but I was informed each time how much it cost. I remember the days when supermarkets charged 1p for a normal plastic bag, other bag for life in supermarkets are about 10p each.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Last few times I went in SportsDirect I was also asked if I wanted thier large bag, but I was informed each time how much it cost. I remember the days when supermarkets charged 1p for a normal plastic bag, other bag for life in supermarkets are about 10p each.

Here in Wales all bags are charged for - amazing how quickly you learn to put a spare bag in your pocket and cars :)
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    69p? Is it made out of gold? Bags for life are normally 10p - 15p.
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That sounds like when a hairdresser asks if you want any 'product' (whatever the hell that is?) put in your hair, then charges you for it afterwards!
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    mounty wrote: »
    That sounds like when a hairdresser asks if you want any 'product' (whatever the hell that is?) put in your hair, then charges you for it afterwards!

I think 'product' is a generic term hairdressers use to describe anything from shampoo to that gloppy stuff that makes your hair spikey. I reckon it is used to make 'shampoo' or 'gloppy stuff' sound more distinguished. A bit like the way people say 'it's a nice property' instead of 'house'. Does my head in.
  • cotton tailcotton tail Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    Here in Wales it is 5p for a crappy one-use-if-youre-lucky bag, 6p for a bag for life from the big supermarkets. I love it in the summer when the Brum Navy are in town and they stand arguing over 5p for a carrier bag when theyve just spent £100 on shitty food :)
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP why didn't you ask how much the bag was?
  • morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    She's probably getting threatened with the sack if she doesn't sell enough, they are monitored on this unfortunately.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's probably getting threatened with the sack if she doesn't sell enough, they are monitored on this unfortunately.

You can get the sack if you don't sell enough bags? I feel there should be a pun in there somewhere...lol...seriously though, that seems a bit random/unfair. Are their sales that bad that their starting to rely on selling 69p bags to get them by? you'd only need the bag if you've bought something to go in it surely though?!.
  • caraxcarax Posts: 3,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Tesco last night I bought some bits and bobs including four yoghurts. As they quite often overcharge I checked my receipt on the way out and found I'd been charged for five yoghurts.

I went back to the checkout and the guy asked me if I wanted to get another one...great scam for boosting sales if everyone takes them up on that. :rolleyes:

I said no thanks and got the refund.
  • xmodz10xmodz10 Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    employees have a target on how much to sell. if they dont sell these bags they get in trouble.

Its only 69p and they are useful i wouldnt mind getting one if it helps someone stay in a job
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delete
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is making me think its important to check receipts when leaving a shop! I cant remember the last time I properly checked a receipt, I usually stuff it in the accompanying bag or my handbag and fling it in the bin when I get home :o
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get offered those bags but always get told the price beforehand.
    I have taken two bags before and they are very very useful. Their handles are much easier to carry around without digging into your hand or fingers. 69p is a bargain.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    You can get the sack if you don't sell enough bags? I feel there should be a pun in there somewhere...lol...seriously though, that seems a bit random/unfair. Are their sales that bad that their starting to rely on selling 69p bags to get them by? you'd only need the bag if you've bought something to go in it surely though?!.
    Heck all bags should be 69p, in every store! Sure the hell fire and brimstone from customers would be epic but I doubt that selling bags at 5p is really going to cut down on the billlions we use every year
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gold2040 wrote: »
    Heck all bags should be 69p, in every store. Sure the amount of customer related abuse would be epic but I doubt that selling bags at 5p

I wouldn't mind paying that if its a decent bag that wont rip. My Poundland bag I got this morning had at least 2 long-ish rips in it by the time I got back to the car :( usually when I see basic bags on offer at the counter, their closer to 10-20p each but their not the bag for life type ones.

I cant remember how much Tesco charge for their bags for life, are they not maybe closer to £1?. You can get some pretty nice ones like organic jute bags which cost a bit more but I imagine those last absolutely years, so are worth the price.

I always bring a handbag with me (being female lol) and when I'm only buying a few smaller items I'll just put them in there to save getting plastic bags, although my mum uses shopping bags to line bins so if/when we do end up with them, their still recycled in a way, rather than just thrown straight out.
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next time you go to the shops bring the receipt along with the bag and get a refund.

Sure it's only 69p but seeing as they didn't even bother to tell you that you would be charged, get your money back.
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I cant remember how much Tesco charge for their bags for life, are they not maybe closer to £1?. You can get some pretty nice ones like organic jute bags which cost a bit more but I imagine those last absolutely years, so are worth the price.

I bought a tesco bag for life for £1.00

It ripped after several months, enquired about a replacement and they told me they only give replacements on the cheaper ones.

I'll be sticking to using their cheapo free bags.
  • Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mounty wrote: »

Why wouldn't they charge you for it?
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    I was caught out the same by BT. Free equipment, great, "Completely free, no cost". Next phone bill, charged for the item and a delivery charge of £6.95. Rang up and they took the cost of the item off but insisted I pay the delivery charge because it was standard. No one mentioned a delivery charge at the time. I wouldn't have minded paying it if they had done so, but it's the principal of the thing. :(

Strange that when I ordered my new FO router from bt it clearly stated the delivery charge on the invoice.