DVDs on a wii

alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Our DVD player isn't working but someone told me you can watch DVDs on a wii. We just tried but the machine couldn't read the disc. Anyone know if this is possible?

Comments

• gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alsmama wrote: »
    Our DVD player isn't working but someone told me you can watch DVDs on a wii. We just tried but the machine couldn't read the disc. Anyone know if this is possible?

Wii will not play DVDS
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Wii will not play DVDS

... Unless your wii is modded.

nintendo declined to pay licence fees to allow owners to watch DVD movies, you can add the codec via the homebrew channel.
  • alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    ... Unless your wii is modded.

nintendo declined to pay licence fees to allow owners to watch DVD movies, you can add the codec via the homebrew channel.

Any hints on how to do that, alternate?
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah can be done on home brew I think.......but isn't it just easier to buy a new DVD player? You can get good ones for £25 with HDMI output these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it's easier Davonator, that's what I wanted to find out on here.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    It is possible to use DVDs after installing the Homebrew Channel, installing the DVD codec and using the appropriate Homebrew App.
    However playing DVDs on Wii all depends on what the manufacturing date of the Wii was as they changed the drives they use so DVD playback is impossible no matter what you do.

To be honest with you, you'd be better off buying a cheap DVD player from the likes of Asda or Tesco as its less hassle just to play back some DVDs.

If you wish to proceed anyway then just Google Homebrew Channel as we cannot discuss the how too's here.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried getting a cheap player a year back, but the disks, though they played did not play properly, it taking the wrong route in a maze, if you get my analogy! i.e. you press for one option it brings up another or opens a menu it wouldn't on a brand player.

So I often play DVD's from my computer. My PS3 is also DVD compatible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we will just stick with watching normal channels and TV online and get a DVD when we move house in May and are moving everything else around anyway. Thanks for the tips.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been having a bit of trouble with my DVD player recently and, when I saw the thread title, thought I'd been unaware that I could've just used the Wii!