Earlier this year
http://i48.tinypic.com/1z68t20.jpg

Thursdays ep
http://i46.tinypic.com/sg24qp.jpg

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to have shrunk. And it's been IKEA-ified.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought it looked different too!
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks more like a studio now. Not realistic at all and a tiny kitchen for such a supposedly huge house.
  • aspijackaspijack Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First Debbie's house now Home Farm do the producers think we wouldn't notice
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even the sets can't escape being Blackburned.
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to be sure I wasnt being crazy, this is from the start of last month when Megan left
    http://i45.tinypic.com/1ifrsi.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night was the first time we saw it.

I didn't think it was possible that they could make the Home Farm set look anymore fake but they've managed it.

I've been saying it for years but whoever is over the design & construction of the studio sets in Emmerdale needs to be replaced. And the lighting too is badly done, there seems to be no attempt to make it look like natural.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 50,938
    Forum Member
    In the grand scheme ofr things, does it matter? Soaps expect us to swallow a lot of garbage, a room shrinking isn't really that big an issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    In the grand scheme ofr things, does it matter? Soaps expect us to swallow a lot of garbage, a room shrinking isn't really that big an issue.

But there's not even a storyline to cover it, infact, it changed while Katie was stuck down in a mine, I doubt Declan popped down to IKEA after he went home while she was down there.
  • DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clearly the ghost of Dave Glover (and Chris Tate and Mark Wylde etc etc)
    Forum Member
    But there's not even a storyline to cover it, infact, it changed while Katie was stuck down in a mine, I doubt Declan popped down to IKEA after he went home while she was down there.

I just don't think they need to explain every set change, there is logistic reasons as to why they have to change the settings. I just think we should focus more on the characters and stories rather than worrying that a room has been made smaller by a couple of feet. In the grand scheme of things I don't find it a big deal.

In reality the 30 mins of soaps should focus on people washing up and doing the ironing rather than having affairs and going on murder sprees but it would be really boring. Sometimes you just have to let your imagination take control and just accept that's the way the room has always been.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just don't think they need to explain every set change, there is logistic reasons as to why they have to change the settings. I just think we should focus more on the characters and stories rather than worrying that a room has been made smaller by a couple of feet. In the grand scheme of things I don't find it a big deal.

In reality the 30 mins of soaps should focus on people washing up and doing the ironing rather than having affairs and going on murder sprees but it would be really boring. Sometimes you just have to let your imagination take control and just accept that's the way the room has always been.

If we did that with everything then they'd be allowed to get away with all sorts of ridiculous crap (not that they don't anyway)

I hope when Katie goes home there is some reference - even just a line - to having the kitchen done. I'm not sure how much time is meant to have passed since she was rescued but a simple acknowledgement from Katie or Declan when she returns home would be fine and easy. Without it, it seems jarring.
    Forum Member
    Drifter wrote: »
    If we did that with everything then they'd be allowed to get away with all sorts of ridiculous crap (not that they don't anyway)

I hope when Katie goes home there is some reference - even just a line - to having the kitchen done. I'm not sure how much time is meant to have passed since she was rescued but a simple acknowledgement from Katie or Declan when she returns home would be fine and easy. Without it, it seems jarring.

Politicians, Multinational companies and media outlets can walk all over us and ruin our lives with their bad decisions and we'll let them. But we cannot let a production team get away with shrinking a kitchen by a couple of feet! We will not stand for it!!!!! :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Politicians, Multinational companies and media outlets can walk all over us and ruin our lives with their bad decisions and we'll let them. But we cannot let a production team get away with shrinking a kitchen by a couple of feet! We will not stand for it!!!!! :mad:

Yes it is absolutely outrageous...

I'm not sure how much you're kidding there or not, but your point suggests no one should complain about anything ever because worse things happen in the world. Making lots of things, like human nature, null and void apparently

But why wouldn't viewers want some reference to it? I'm not talking about it shrinking by the way - I wouldn't even notice that. But it's been redecorated so I hope it's mentioned when Katie arrives home. Hardly unreasonable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, it's a pretty big production error for it to happen right now in the story, any other time it could be written off as the kitchen was redecorated off screen, but thats something that isnt likely to happen right now.
  • ImonfireImonfire Posts: 2,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Studied it closely and it looks the same to me, apart from a door has been added to the unit in the middle of the room.
  • wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like Blackburn made the kitchen smaller to capture the illusion that Oompa Loompa Robbie seems taller
    :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Absolutely. Who the hell cares? If you're taking such nitpicking notice of the surroundings you're not following the story properly. There has to be a practical reason for changing a set.
  • ImonfireImonfire Posts: 2,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »
    Absolutely. Who the hell cares? If you're taking such nitpicking notice of the surroundings you're not following the story properly. There has to be a practical reason for changing a set.

People are just trying to find more things to have a go at Stuart Blackburn for, in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't mean anything and I'm surprised people even noticed it, as they should have been listening and watching the actual show, not staring at the background. Unless they were that sad as to pause and rewind multiple times or search for a screen grab online to prove a point. Oh dear.
  • DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see both sides of the argument here.

Yes, in general people shouldn't nitpick over relatively unimportant things like a minor set change, but it's the timing of this one that makes it wrong and why some fm's have picked up on it.

Your wife's lfe is on the line, then she's in hospital not knowing if she'll ever walk again, and you even think of getting your kitchen done....don't think so!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imonfire wrote: »
    People are just trying to find more things to have a go at Stuart Blackburn for, in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't mean anything and I'm surprised people even noticed it, as they should have been listening and watching the actual show, not staring at the background. Unless they were that sad as to pause and rewind multiple times or search for a screen grab online to prove a point. Oh dear.

Not having a go at anyone, but it was the first thing I noticed in the scenes at Home Farm on Thursday! And yes, I was watching and listening intently (until the new decor distracted me that is ;))I agree, in the grand scheme of things, it means nothing, but like Dixon said, the timing seems odd what with Declan's wife being in hospital.
  • NathanTNathanT Posts: 1,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Budget cuts ;)

Does anyone remember when the Home Farm living room and dining room got flip reversed overnight years ago? The shrinking kitchen seems relatively small game by comparison.

Maybe they though all the viewers would be too engrossed in the riveting mineshaft saga to notice the kitchen being downsized. :D
  • pudseymrcvspudseymrcvs Posts: 3,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did we last see the kitchen? Is it not possible that it could have been done before Katie drove into a hole?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imonfire wrote: »

Wow, do you really have to concentrate that hard on the characters? Personally I've never found Emmerdale that hard to follow.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks more like the set from a cookery show than a kitchen in a Victorian manor house.

When the Tates lived there it looked like a real kitchen.