Router Issues with Wifi and Iphone

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi

As a newbie to VM, I have one of the combined Netgear router/modems for my BB service.

I connect my iphone4 via wifi to the router and sometimes all will seem okay. Connects okay etc.

But then after a while, the iphone4 will say it cannot connect to the wifi and fails. Ethernet connections from my tv to the router and pc to the router seem okay - the internet connection is there but the wifi connection fails.

I have tried switching the router from the "auto" channel to a set channel but the problem still occurs.

At first we thought it was an iphone4 issue and after an hour and 10 mins on the phone with apple's tech team, I was still unable to connect via wifi to the router and they agreed to replace the iphone.

Now the iphone has been replaced and the same problem exists. I can connect for a short while, then the connection fails and then I am unable to connect again to the router from the iphone.

Has anyone else had similar problems or can anyone suggest anything. Each time this happens, ethernet connections remain in-tact so either its a router issue on wifi or an iphone4 issue but I am at a loss to understand what to do next.

Thanks guys. :confused:

Comments

• JTWJTW Posts: 41,922
    Forum Member
    I've just returned an intermittent wifi iphone to a seller because I couldn't get wifi for more than a couple of seconds. (At the same time I had just sold my old 3G 8GB one that had perfect reception). So with this in mind and because other devices were able to log on wirelessly, I put the problem down to the Iphone being faulty.

My advice to you is to borrow a laptop or some other wireless device to see if they work. This will help eliminate if its a router problem. If these work and it's just the Iphone, I would send it back again.

I've trawled through numerous sites in the past few days and have noted that this seems to be a common problem with Iphones and it seems to be just your bad luck if you get a dodgy phone.

The other place I would look (and was advised to) was those forums where people who have Ipads with wifi problems. Apparently Apple are working flat out to sort out their flagship product. So if there's any fixes, you will likely find them there.

But personally, to save all the trouble, first link to wifi with another wireless device.....and that device works, but the Iphone doesn't, return it to save a mountain of grief and stress trying to find a solution.
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try using some other wifi place, like a friends wireless router or a free public place. Check if the problem still happens, if no problem then you may need a new router.

I have an iPhone 4 32GB and i love its wifi, especially when im at work in the van and some people havnt setup a password for their wireless routers lol. Ive used its wifi everywhere and abroad, never had a problem (yet), ive never had to go into any routers settings or anything, the iPhone just sorts everything out with ease.

It has to be your router thats the problem, whether its the device itself or theres some weird radio interferrance going on somewhere.
    Forum Member
    The_One wrote: »
    Try using some other wifi place, like a friends wireless router or a free public place. Check if the problem still happens, if no problem then you may need a new router.

I have an iPhone 4 32GB and i love its wifi, especially when im at work in the van and some people havnt setup a password for their wireless routers lol. Ive used its wifi everywhere and abroad, never had a problem (yet), ive never had to go into any routers settings or anything, the iPhone just sorts everything out with ease.

It has to be your router thats the problem, whether its the device itself or theres some weird radio interferrance going on somewhere.

I had the exact same thing with my old 3G 8GB Iphone. The wifi was excellent and would instantly ask you if you wanted to join some other nearby network if you were out of the area.

So this is not relative to Iphone 4 only, but just your good luck if you have an Iphone with good connectivity.

In fact, you might want to check out that just as many peeps with Iphone 4s are also having the problem highlighted by the OP.....and its not just isolated to the baseband or IOS version.

If your wifi is weak, then nothing short of replacing the antenna yourself if you are good at DIY, or returning the phone intact and getting a replacement is going to sort it out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    If I want to connect my iPod Touch to the net via wifi I have to reboot the router!

This happens all the time at home but I can go in McDs or Wetherspoons and use the Cloud with not problems!

I have 50Mb and tehNetgear Router

Anyone got any suggestions please?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    I've been experiencing exactly the same thing over the last week every time I use my iPad. I have to reset the router otherwise no wifi.
  • dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FWIW it seems the more fiddling you do with your iPhone WIFI settings the more likely it is to give you problems.

Anyway, is the router broadcasting its SSID? What encryption are you using? Do you use MAC filtering? (And yes I know none of this matters if someone wants to hack you but it all helps.)
    Forum Member
    Okay, just an update to try and help eliminate some problems connecting to the Iphone via my own experiences.

First off I have to say is that if you are getting excellent wifi connectivity with other devices like laptops and other Iphones etc, and all other pcs laprtops ect can connect via a network, then it's more than likely to be the device itself that has problems.

I just returned an Iphone to the seller for exactly this reason. And believe me, it was a jailbroken phone, but absolutely no connection to wifi whatsoever. I tried connecting it to any other wifi in range (other than my own which showed strong connectivity on other devices) to no avail.

I set up WPA instead of WEP...again fruitless.

So I ended up sending it back and purchased another second hand jailbroken Iphone.

I just switched it on without my Sim card being inserted. Went to Wifi settings and put in my password..................and voila, was instantly connected with a very strong wifi signal.

So for those of you with weak wifi signals, and if you have set your wifi up correctly that other devices such as your laptops and desktops etc can all get a signal without a problem, but only your iphone can't get a signal at all.........................then send it back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    farfalla wrote: »
    I've been experiencing exactly the same thing over the last week every time I use my iPad. I have to reset the router otherwise no wifi.

I updated the firmware on my router (Netgear WNR2000) and all seems ok now. Not sure if this will work for others but it worked for me.