Producer Interviews

Comments

• los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    Eastenders: Is there any storyline for Kat Slater/Moon that doesn't involve an affair or a pregnancy?
  • jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,498
    Forum Member
    Neighbours

1) Since it is confirmed that Jade is leaving Neighbours, will she be having a big exit or just a quiet exit?

2) With Steph's parole coming up will she make a return?

3) Will Amy Robinson come onto the show?

4) Lassisters set has not been used much, will we see more of Lassisters?
  • DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,732
    Forum Member
    Neighbours

- Were there any areas of the show that you thought needed major improvements when you took over from Susan Bower?

- Are there any plans to bring Libby back this year?

- Mal's return was popular among fans, are you open to bringing him back on a regular basis along with his wife, Catherine?

- Was it a conscious decision to introduce the Kapoors slowly and separately? And why didn't you move them on to the Street sooner, rather than later? What direction will they take once they do move on to Ramsay Street?

- Was it Sandy Winton's choice to leave the show? If not, was it always planed that Michael would leave when he did?

- Chris' relationship with George has developed nicely, but George's character doesn't get much air play. Are there any plans to develop it further and feature George (and introduce Chris' mum, too), more often?

- What are your plans for Chris? Will Aidan be returning?

- Where will Tash be heading story wise and character wise for the rest of the year?

- What are your thoughts on the thread to have live bands play at Charlie's? Do you think they work? Are they well received by viewers?

- Would you consider bringing back Christina (or any other Robinson) possibly recast? It would be great to explore her relationships with Andrew and Paul.

- Would you ever consider rewriting the rewritten history of making Kate and Sophie Ramsays? That destruction of the history of the show didn't go down well with long-term viewers.

- What are your thoughts on the previews? Do you think they work, or do they give too much away? Do you think they need to be simplified and more like a teaser?

- Do you have any plans to upgrade the show to PG classified? Is that a decision that you can make, or is it in the hands of Network Ten?

Hollyoaks

- For a casual viewer it can be very difficult to get into the show when there are so many characters and stories that languish on the backburner for months, so learning the dynamics of everyone can be confusing. Are there any plans to cut the cast in size, or streamline the storylines in a way that creates more balance on screen?

- Why did you decide to turn Doug gay, instead of making him bisexual, something that would have honoured his history?

- Why does Tony not feature much? Has it been a conscious decision to backburner him?

Coronation Street

- What was the thinking behind Karl & Sunita's affair? From Sunita's POV, it has felt quite out of character. Do you agree?

- Why has Gary been so criminally underused? Every other character seems to get more storylines that him, and I wonder if that is a conscious decision, or if he's simply got lost in a farther large cast.

- Do you think there are any areas that need improving?
  • patrick95patrick95 Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Phil Collinson- Coronation Street

Frequently asked question, but I will ask all the same- what does the future hold for Peter & Carla and in what circumstances shall they leave?

Can you hint at any long term storyline arcs which are being planned?

Why was there no attempt to bring back past characters for Bettys funeral or Ritas wedding? Julie Goodyear made it very clear that she would return for these special episodes...

Will we see the older characters being given bigger story lines?

Jason Grimshaw is crying out for a big, meaty storyline! Is there any plans to introduce one for him?

Any differences to the new set ??

Will we be exploring Carlas past?

Are there any plans to bringnback any past characters?
  • bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another question for Hollyoaks:
    • Will Cindy get a gritty storyline soon as the actress and viewers have both wanted one for a long time?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    For Hollyoaks - Recently, there have been a bit too much of the teens and not much focusing on other characters... is there any plans for stories for characters like Jack, Frankie, Diane, Pheobe? Also, what's next for Dodger?

For Corrie- The Kirsty/Tyrone storyline is brilliant, will there be more episodes featuring her father and mother? What's next for them?
  • dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,074
    Forum Member
    home and away- with most of the current cast only arriving within the past 4 years could we see some old faces return to the bay anytime soon

also are there any plans to bring back the opening titles
  • patrick95patrick95 Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Phil Collinson- coronation st.

what does the future hold for The Armstrong family?

Can you hint at the direction of the Tyronne/ Kirsty storyline?

Could we see a return for Amber Alahan?

Can you give a hint as to the long term future of Kirsty? She has proved very popular on th forum and at the BSA...

What does the future hold for the Websters? Will we see a big storyline for Sophie soon?

Will we be seeing any new faces in the Street?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hollyoaks : Is Finn going to remain an off-screen character now or will he appear on-screen again?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Hollyoaks Emma Smithwick

Are Ste and Brendan over for good? I sincerely hope not
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hollyoaks:
    Micheala hasn't had much interesting material since she returned last September and Hollie Jay is really good in comic and dramatic situations so I was wondering if there are any plans for her in the coming months?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    Coronation Street: I just wanted to say I think you have done a brilliant job with the Eileen/Paul/Lesley storyline

Hollyoaks: Do you ever feel guilty about giving an actor a storyline you know the fans wont like the character for?
    Will we ever find out what happened to Pete? Or see Riley actually playing football?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    Nobody has asked a question for Doctors yet, it is my favourite programme so got loads of questions to ask, these are just some of them

Firstly
    because of freya's death
    will a brand new charcter be introduced to the mill?

When are we going to see a complete revamp of the opening titles and are their any plans for the theme tune to be modified or is it staying as it is?

Can you tell us any juicy gossip which is coming up for each of the characters?

Are there any plans to have any special episodes being broadcast or are they going to stick to the usual theme of episode stories?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hollyoaks:
    Q. Does Amy have any stories in the pipeline? She really needs something more gritty than what she has at the moment.
  • KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Collinson, Coronation Street
    • The relocation to Corrie's new home in Salford will be here before we know it - how are you and the rest of the production team feeling about the move?
    • With the old backlot entering retirement, have ITV decided what they'll do with the site? Will it be sold to developers? If ITV keeps it, how about redressing the set to create a Downton Abbey-style Corrie, set at the beginning of the twentieth century?
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmerdale

Emmerdale seems to be slightly losing its way at the moment:
    • The Ashley/Sandy storyline was good, powerful and got people talking, but where does it leave Ashley in the long-term? Can he ever be fully accepted back into the village?
    • I don't think the Maceys are working - would another (Tate/Wylde-type) 'big family' be better placed in Home Farm?
    • Is Bob going to get a decent storyline?
    • Where now for the Bartons? Soon we'll only have Adam and Moira left - any plans to introduce Moira's mother?
  • Cal2008Cal2008 Posts: 2,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neighbours will susan move back onto ramsay street where she belongs? Will neighbours be going back to its roots and be about familys?
    Corrie will jed stone be comeing back he be a good friend for dennis tennor? Why does victoria street not get used apart from roys rolls?
  • andrewj123andrewj123 Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Casualty

One of the best episodes (in my opinion and ratings wise) this year was the gas explosion in January - are there plans for more feature length episodes with a major storyline?

Casualty and Holby City

Are there any plans for another Casualty@Holby City crossover?
  • Siena VSSiena VS Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What made Brendan Brady such an iconic and popular character was his complexity and that even when he did wrong you could still see his internal turmoil. He did terrible things but you still got to see that he had true feelings (for Steven, his kids, his sister). Now I got the impression he's slowly becoming a villain without a soul and personally I think it's such a shame. Now to my question will we ever see that complexity and multilayered character we come to love back?

I was also going to ask why if HO was apparently planning the Doug turning gay storyline since last summer it felt so rushed on screen instead, but then I read this question here and it seems mirror my feelings exactly
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    Hollyoaks
    - Why the need to completely re-write Doug's character and erase everything that's happened to him in the near 2 years that he's been there? Why change the suicide episode to be, apparently, about Doug realising he's gay. The message from that episode was loud and clear. He felt he couldn't move on and live without Bex - why? because he was in love with her. She was love of his life. Why go and rewrite that as if she never existed? Why rush the Doug turning agy storyline? Why portray that you "catch" being gay from a hug? that's a very bad message to give out!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Hollyoaks

This isn't really a question more of a statement to ES about my concerns.I've never posted anything on any site before but as a HO fan from the beginning I feel I really have to post as I'm so worried about what is happening with the show.

The blocking of SLs really isn't working. A soap is known as a continuing drama yet the blocking format has no continuity at all, instead stories are rushed so they are over in a week or if they do last longer you just feel you are getting into something then that story disappears for 2 or 3 weeks which leads to a loss in interest. All the other soaps have a lovely flow to them with almost all the characters being included even if they don't have a big story at that point. Unfortunately I feel HO has lost this and instead is very disjointed. Another issue with this format is that there are far too many characters at the moment. Therefore when blocking SLs you have so many characters that have to be given screen time that it takes far too long for their next block to come up. Also I feel HO is creating SLs just for the sake of it as a character needs something to do, most of these stories are boring and even when they are good or could be good you have to rush them so much to get to the next set of characters, Ash and the Meningitus story is a perfect example.

At the moment there is far too much emphasis on the students. As I said I have followed Hollyoaks from the start and know it's beginnings were based around students, however, we now have the older students, the Freshers, the 6th formers and the high school students. It's just too many!!! I have always found HO to have a good mix of age ranges within it's character base, with an equal amount of time given to them. Also I have enjoyed many of the SLs centring the students but it's now student overload. I think you need to realise although many fans are younger, many fans like me have watched the programme from the start and although we were teenagers to begin with we are now in our late 20s/early 30s. I would never want you to cut the students completely as it is part of HO foundations but I do think you could do with halving the number of them and give a more even coverage of all age ranges within the cast. The number of student SLs lead to many of the older characters being underused. Darren and Nancy are fab characters but all their stories which could be gripping, e.g. will Darren return to gambling, Nancy's miscarriage are given very little time. Cheryl is another fabulous character who actually when you look at it is given very little to get her teeth into. Tony and Cindy now do very little. Don't even get me started on Jack, Frankie or even Diane. I've always found the family dynamic works well in HO so why can't we see these characters become more integrated into the show.

Finally I know it has been mentioned before but I am gutted at the way you just changed Doug's character completely. I thought the story was going really well with Ste and Doug being friends, it was so lovely to see as Ste has never really had a proper male friend since Justin. I think the storyline with Brendan and the loan would have worked just as well with them being friends instead of a couple. This is not a recent problem it has happened a great deal over the years and sometimes it has been done well like with Ste. However I have to say I feel this time it has been rushed and handled badly and ultimately leaving me unable to invest in the Ste/Doug relationship.

I'm sorry this may seem more like a rant but I'm sure many HO fans would agree with what I am saying. If ES does read this I really hope she does not take offence as I can only imagine how difficult her job must be but I do really feel strongly that these problems are ultimately ruining my favourite soap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    civicgirl wrote: »
    Hollyoaks
    This isn't really a question more of a statement to ES about my concerns.

Do you expect him to read all that to her? What's the point putting in a thread for questions? She might actually see it if you put it in its own thread but she's unlikely to here as he's definitely not going to read that out.

Hollyoaks

There has been quite a bit of criticism in regards to the size of the cast. Do you believe the current cast size realistically allows each character to be given the right amount of regular screen time?
  • cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    civicgirl wrote: »
    I'm sorry this may seem more like a rant but I'm sure many HO fans would agree with what I am saying. If ES does read this I really hope she does not take offence as I can only imagine how difficult her job must be but I do really feel strongly that these problems are ultimately ruining my favourite soap.

I thought it was a great post, and I agree with all of it. Yes, I know this thread is for questions to producers, but the interviewers on here are pretty good at turning viewers' concerns into questions. You could pretty much sum it up like this:

What are you planning to do about the blocking and pacing of storylines, to give more sense of direction and draw viewers in more?

Are you planning to feature the popular older characters more - Tony, Cindy, Jack, Frankie, Diane - specially interacting with their families?

And how do you respond to the viewers' concerns about the decision to turn Doug gay, the lack of character continuity, and the loss of the Ste/Doug friendship?

Hope you don't mind civicgirl, I just really agreed with what you were saying. :o
  • dorothy7dorothy7 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Hollyoaks

Have you some words of hope for all the Stendan fans that after all the heartbreaks are still waiting to see Brendan and Ste finally together?

Some people have already expressed this better than me but will there be any chances that the storylines will be longer and better paced and structured?
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Home & Away

Now Colleen is leaving would you ever consider bringing back Fiona Spence as Celia Stewart?

Will we be seeing any more Braxtons turn up in Summer Bay?
  • Simon-SmithSimon-Smith Posts: 2,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neighbours Richard Jasek:

The introduction of Sheila Canning has been great in seeing someone so opinionated and a bit of a busybody. Would you ever introduce or reintroduce more older characters?

Do you plan to have character in a more family unit rathe than the waifs and strays we have seen in recent years?

Anmy plans to reintroduce character relatin to the show’s history or even character related to the show? Maybe Scott and Charlene’s children staying at their uncle’s Paul’s? Or the Clarke family?

Angie Rebecchi hasn’t been heard of sinse the introduction of Callum and Sonya? Which has not been explained. It is some pint where Toadie’s mum will visit her son’s now pregnant girlfriend and her grandson?

With almost knowing them for nearly 20th years, would you like to see the introduction of maybe Karl or Susan’s sibling into the show?

Any plans for Toadie and The Kennedy clans’ 2 decades into the show?
This discussion has been closed.