Things I've Loved & Will Ache in Missing Mr. Matt Smith as the Doctor...

MediaMattersMediaMatters Posts: 377
Forum Member
:cry: While at the start it may have been considered a risk to cast the youngest ever actor to play the long-standing sci-fi lead + following the beloved David Tennant was never going to be easy, I think Matt will be remembered best for his unique feel to the role that seemed somehow to reassert the alien of the Doctor & away from the all-too human emotions of Ten. Matt had me at "Still not ginger!" & other reasons why I'll miss him and think that he's gone too soon:
  1. (1.) The foppish hair, twee outfit, geography teacher's jacket: a little incongruous for an action hero but oddly suitable;
  2. (b.) The range & variety of his performances between light and dark, comedy and highly charged emotiion; madcap genius & nutty professor;
  3. (iii) Fish fingers & custard;
  4. (d) His easy rapport & chemistry with his co-stars, particularly Karen & Arthur with whom he shared the most screen time. But also Alex Kingston in spite of the age difference, it didn't feel awkward to me at all;
  5. (v) The definite distinction made that a new man resumed the story from 10 to the Eleventh compared to 9 & 10;
  6. (f) Big set-piece moments when he excelled like at Stonehenge or at Akhaten;
  7. (vii) Matt held so much more authority in the role than you might expect in someone so young

The reason I think he could have gone 1 more season is probably because of Clara. Eleven - like us - has only just found out who she really is. It would be more interesting to see him travel with her while knowing her properly. But maybe the Doctor cannot leave his own time stream on Trenzalore without regenerating now? :(
What do you say? :) :cool:

Comments

• CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, all of this.
    [*](vii) Matt held so much more authority in the role than you might expect in someone so young

It seemed there was no actor opposite whom Matt couldn't hold his own - Bill Nighy, Helen McCrory, Michael Gambon, Diana Rigg, Richard E Grant............ Mitchell and Webb... :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    I think more than the Eleventh Doctor, I'm going to miss Matt. He's such a nice, great guy and I adore every interview he does. Lovely, lovely actor. Definitely going to miss him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think more than the Eleventh Doctor, I'm going to miss Matt. He's such a nice, great guy and I adore every interview he does. Lovely, lovely actor. Definitely going to miss him.

Great ambassador for the show, mainly for that reason.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great ambassador for the show, mainly for that reason.

Well, it's not like the guy is dying or something. ;)
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :cry: While at the start it may have been considered a risk to cast the youngest ever actor to play the long-standing sci-fi lead + following the beloved David Tennant was never going to be easy, I think Matt will be remembered best for his unique feel to the role that seemed somehow to reassert the alien of the Doctor & away from the all-too human emotions of Ten. Matt had me at "Still not ginger!" & other reasons why I'll miss him and think that he's gone too soon:
    1. (1.) The foppish hair, twee outfit, geography teacher's jacket: a little incongruous for an action hero but oddly suitable;
    2. (b.) The range & variety of his performances between light and dark, comedy and highly charged emotiion; madcap genius & nutty professor;
    4. (d) His easy rapport & chemistry with his co-stars, particularly Karen & Arthur with whom he shared the most screen time. But also Alex Kingston in spite of the age difference, it didn't feel awkward to me at all;
    5. (v) The definite distinction made that a new man resumed the story from 10 to the Eleventh compared to 9 & 10;
    7. (vii) Matt held so much more authority in the role than you might expect in someone so young

The reason I think he could have gone 1 more season is probably because of Clara. Eleven - like us - has only just found out who she really is. It would be more interesting to see him travel with her while knowing her properly. But maybe the Doctor cannot leave his own time stream on Trenzalore without regenerating now? :(

I say...I completely agree with all of the above! Was rewatching 'Hide' yesterday and he is just *so* on the money; flipping from humourous and enthusiastic to fearful and intense...he's got it all.

(Capaldi's a great actor, so it's all going to be okay.)
  • MediaMattersMediaMatters Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    :) Also: you're right, Matt's fanboy enthusiasm for the show radiates off him in his appearances + he looked downbeat & crestfallen in his farewell interviews. :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I don't think it was all 'just showbiz' when he appeared to entertain some slight doubt at times whether he had made the right decision.
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Personally I preferred the 9-10 regeneration for the opposite reason-that it's made absolutely clear it's the same man.
  • SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The emotion that he and Clara now have - and her history; will it bring them closer or will it be the driver that causes them to split apart? Now she knows that she has all of these past lives and at the same time she knows all of the Doctors past lives and the history of the Doctor.

I think it will bring them closer. Now we have the mystery of the Hurt "Doctor" and the Time War and what role does Clara play in it? Then we follow that up with the death of the current doctor - the one who saved her and the one who she saved. What emotional toll will that take on her?

As to the his time stream - while he may have made the remark that he might not make it out, he went in with a plan to get out - a time lord with a plan and I don't think it included his death. Besides, it would mess up the Christmas Special! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep- I think I can agree with all that :)
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :Will miss him too don't be too sad though. Two specials to get through old freinds, new freinds. Old enemies new enemies. Got a lot of action and quotes before its over. Christmas we say goodbye 11 and hello 12. Next year new doctor and new adventures. Sure PC will be his own doctor but also keep something of the other doctors that came before him too. :):p:D
  • W._O._FrobozzW._O._Frobozz Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Matt Smith: His departure just feels way too soon. It still feels like he barely got here, unlike Tennant at this point in his time as the Doctor. Maybe it's because the last season was so disjoint between halves.