Roger Ebert Dies

AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Respected Chicago Sun Times movie critic Roger Ebert has died.

Sad news. Really enjoyed his reviews

Comments

• Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    RIP I really admired his writing
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news, often time disagreed with him, but he most always had something interesting to say.

Also, so much respect for the dignity with which he has dealt with his extensive health issues over the last few years.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    Very sad news. Not unexpected though. RIP Roger
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should add he wrote books, tv shows and he was a Pulitzer Prize winner with a star on the Hollywood Walk of fame.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The very greatest in my opinion. Films meant something to him.
  • Stephen_SimpsonStephen_Simpson Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Steven Spielberg of Film Criticism. While I don't think he's the best, he's certainly the most famous.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    He should have laid off the fatty foods
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Yes I'm sure he consumed a lot of fatty foods via his feeding tube.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

what an ignorant, ill informed post!

Just for your information:
    Mr. Ebert’s struggle with cancer, starting in 2002, gave him an altogether different public image — as someone who refused to surrender to illness. Though he had operations for cancer of the thyroid, salivary glands and chin, lost his ability to eat, drink and speak (he was fed through a tube and a prosthesis partly obscured the loss of much of his chin) and became a gaunter version of his once-portly self, he continued to write reviews and commentary and published a cookbook he had started, on meals that could be made with a rice cooker.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/05/movies/roger-ebert-film-critic-dies.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    what an ignorant, ill informed post!

Just for your information:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/05/movies/roger-ebert-film-critic-dies.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

You have to be a South Park fan to get it its a joke. Little bit ill timed though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Ebert_Should_Lay_Off_the_Fatty_Foods

The episode has nothing to do with him actually that ones based on a Star Trek episode.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I guess you guys aren't fans of South Park
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess you guys aren't fans of South Park

I'm not a fan of people coming in to the thread of someone who has just passed away purely to take the piss out of their death. The South Park thing was before all of his well documented health problems and hardly funny under the circumstances.
  • pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad news. I generally hate critics but Ebert was special - he had a charisma of sorts. He hit hard at films he hated but he wasn't an arse for the sake of it, and he just seemed a nice guy who loved his job. And even when he lost his voice he still had a wicked, self-deprecating sense of humour. I don't think it's a stretch at all to call him one of the greatest critics we've seen.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rest In Peace Roger
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    pmw_hewitt wrote: »
    Very sad news. I generally hate critics but Ebert was special - he had a charisma of sorts. He hit hard at films he hated but he wasn't an arse for the sake of it, and he just seemed a nice guy who loved his job. And even when he lost his voice he still had a wicked, self-deprecating sense of humour. I don't think it's a stretch at all to call him one of the greatest critics we've seen.

Yeah, that about sums him up. He had a good relationship with his late co-host on his film programme(Gene Siskel) and he seamed to have a genuine love of movies.

RIP Roger.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP, the last I think I read on his page was his hip had broken and he was doing physio for it, had no idea his life was in danger.

He was having guest reviewers doing his movie reviews.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He suffered terrible disfigurement as a result of his illness yet carried on his great work, A huge loss to film criticism.
  • NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,156
    Forum Member
    Shocked to have heard this. Very sad news indeed, a prolific film critic he was.

He'll be up there now with Gene bickering once again!
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a shame but not unexpected considering his declining heath. His reviews were always the ones I kept an eye out for and I usually agreed with them.

RIP Roger.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    I only read this morning that he was going to have to take it easy. :( I wonder if he knew it was close.
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very very sad,it was him & his reviews that got me so into movies when I was a teenager
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I actually loathe you for that comment. Shame. On. You.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad news and a genuine loss to film.

A clever, funny, brave and inspirational man. RIP Roger.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.

I was aware of his name almost all my life, but he didn't leave a considerable impact until he stood and spoke in our defence at a Better Luck Tomorrow Q&A session at Sundance URL="http://youtu.be/LSzP9YV3jbc"]YouTube video[/URL] and Film Threat's [URL="http://www.filmthreat.com/festivals/737/"]report/transcript[/url, which truly resonated with me. I liked and respected him since.

RIP Roger, and thank you so much for that time.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Extremely clever and a master of concision. Didn't always agree, but that was half the fun.

He always got two thumbs up from me.

RIP Ebert.