Is Brian Cox disappearing up his own Uranus?

Comments

• kim1994kim1994 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    Wasn't bothered about him till he called people who believe in ghosts, 'nobbers'. Now I can't stand him.

Nobbers:D
  • TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't bothered about him till he called people who believe in ghosts, 'nobbers'. Now I can't stand him.

I didn't know he had said that. He has gone way up in my estimation.
  • The PuzzlerThe Puzzler Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    http://www.paranormalreview.com/articles/20110709
    Particle physicist Brian Cox has angered many by mocking people who believe in ghosts and the afterlife. He did so on Twitter after learning that the BBC had received complaints that Infinite Monkey Cage, the Radio 4 show he hosts with comedian Robin Ince, was unbalanced in an episode dealing with the paranormal.

Prof Cox – a former keyboard player in 1990s pop groups before focusing on cosmology and becoming a star presenter on television (a sort of supernova) – responded to the criticism by Tweeting:

"Just heard we got complaints about lack of BBC balance about ghosts – there are some utter nobbers out there! Here is my official statement, which also has the benefit of being fact. There are no ghosts, so it would be silly to believe in them."

Which, of course, demonstrates that Cox is himself an even bigger nobber than the people who have upset him. The term nobber, for those unfamiliar with slang, means
    extremely stupid.
    He should stick to what he knows and not take the piss out of things he doesn't understand.
  • MamboJimboMamboJimbo Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh happy day - I've learnt a fantastic new word :D
  • TheMagic8ballTheMagic8ball Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I'm tired of him being invited onto comedy programs, the guy is a stiff!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    gkec wrote: »
    So he is explaining something that involves large numbers. What else is he going to say "ooo lots and lots"...

He should use scientific notation then.
  • SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Cox is the (smug) face of dumbed down science on the BBC.

Can't stand him and his muppet faced grin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gkec wrote: »
    So he is explaining something that involves large numbers. What else is he going to say "ooo lots and lots"..

He could have said 10^12
    Forum Member
    http://www.paranormalreview.com/articles/20110709

He should stick to what he knows and not take the piss out of things he doesn't understand.

I take it you believe in ghosts. Why?
    Forum Member
    Skyclad wrote: »
    He could have said 10^12

But would that be term universally understood
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I dislike the guy, if it comes down to taking advice from Acora or Cox, i'll pick the latter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kim1994 wrote: »
    But would that be term universally understood

Isn't the idea of these types of programmes to inform and educate? How about they explained what it meant instead of spending the budget in high def special effects.
  • The PuzzlerThe Puzzler Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    kim1994 wrote: »
    I take it you believe in ghosts. Why?

I've read a lot about them and also been told by relatives about paranormal experiences they've had. I think there's a lot of things out there which science doesn't understand yet, and Cox's comments are just plain ignorant. He might know a lot about Space and the stars, but he shouldn't go making uninformed comments like that. I mean, 'nobbers'? It's bloody childish!
    Forum Member
    Isn't the idea of these types of programmes to inform and educate? How about they explained what it meant instead of spending the budget in high def special effects.

I think OP was referring to when he was on QI rather than a serious programme
    Forum Member
    I've read a lot about them and also been told by relatives about paranormal experiences they've had. I think there's a lot of things out there which science doesn't understand yet, and Cox's comments are just plain ignorant. He might know a lot about Space and the stars, but he shouldn't go making uninformed comments like that. I mean, 'nobbers'? It's bloody childish!

I have had some odd ghost like experiences and heard stories from people who I know are not making it up. Logic tells me there are no such things as ghosts so these experiences must be bought on by the power of suggestion
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eng123 wrote: »
    I was watching a program on iPlayer this week called 'Beyond The Speed of Light' which was presented by a Mathmatician. It was brilliant. just stuck to the science and facts and treated the audience with some intelligence. Unlike the stupid Brian Cox programmes - 'look at me, I'm windswept and interesting' while not really explaining much of anything at all. Much prefer the 'serious' academic who commands respect and does not play pretty boy. Don't get me wrong, of course Brian Cox is a serious academic but he does get on my nerves and I can't stand the lack of substance in his programmes. Would much rather have the science than pretty graphics. I know, his programs are aimed at a 'non science' audience.

Brian Cox is a very good communicator. Yes "Wonders of the Universe" was dumbed down but not everything he does is - it depends on his particular target audience. I would refer you to his excellent book "Why does e=mc2" (co-written by Jeff Forshaw) as an example of his work that is not dumbed down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    I would refer you to his excellent book "Why does e=mc2" (co-written by Jeff Forshaw) as an example of his work that is not dumbed down.

I thought the modern way of thinking was that it did not?

Or is that the point he makes?
  • MamboJimboMamboJimbo Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read a lot about them and also been told by relatives about paranormal experiences they've had.

Books and anecdotes, then.

On balance not really the ... how can I put this ... strongest case in the world, is it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He could have said 10^12

Nothing pulls in the ratings like a bit of scientific notation. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He would make a great ventriloquist.

I wish they had put David Mitchell across from him to wipe the floor with him! :D
  • kulmarkulmar Posts: 1,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eng123 wrote: »
    I was watching a program on iPlayer this week called 'Beyond The Speed of Light' which was presented by a Mathmatician. It was brilliant. just stuck to the science and facts and treated the audience with some intelligence. Unlike the stupid Brian Cox programmes - 'look at me, I'm windswept and interesting' while not really explaining much of anything at all. Much prefer the 'serious' academic who commands respect and does not play pretty boy. Don't get me wrong, of course Brian Cox is a serious academic but he does get on my nerves and I can't stand the lack of substance in his programmes. Would much rather have the science than pretty graphics. I know, his programs are aimed at a 'non science' audience.

I would agree with this although I don't mind the way he explains things I get a little tired of seeing him in various locations looking all windswept and staring to the distance.. Also agree that it is a programme for the mainstream and that is a good thing..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes (also he looks like one of Ken Dodds Diddy men)

Oh cripes! Yes! Dicky Mint.
  • chriswyattchriswyatt Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His over-enthusiasm grates me a bit. Nothing wrong with being enthusiastic of course, but in his programmes he seems to go on about how beautiful it is and wanks over the vastness of the universe a bit too much, rather than actually going into detail about the actual science itself. Basically, he romanticises science too much for my tastes.

There's a lot of waffle and I get bored quite quickly when I'm watching his shows. Nevertheless, I wouldn't want a presenter who's just doing a boring university-style lecture, but he just doesn't strike the balance for me really.

I saw a sister programme for Wonders of The Universe on BBC Four and it was much more interesting and went in to much more detail.
  • OrishiOrishi Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    he bores me rigid

and i wish he would stop dressing in his old clothes from high school

get a haircut and go find a job for goodness sake:rolleyes:

also that offensive grin he uses when discussing religion makes me want to attack him
  • OrishiOrishi Posts: 40
    Forum Member

judgemental bastard!!