What should I watch? The OC or 90210?

dan_dan_ Posts: 1,950
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey, looking to buy either of these on a boxset and was wondering which would be the better option, the OC or 90210 (the new one).

Looking for lots of drama, a strong cast and strong storylines.

PS. if there are any shows similar to them you could recommend that would be great to :)

Comments

• Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    I would pick The OC.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first two seasons of the OC were excellent (with season one being the best), the third not so much. In fact three was awful.

I think I heard that season 4 was better than three but as three had already driven me away I can't confirm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't watched it in years but I used to enjoy The OC (interesting characters, some comedy amongst all the drama) so I'd go for that. I could never get into 90210 - from what I watched it seemed like a bland, generic teen drama.

Not sure if you've watched Gossip Girl but I'd recommend that too - it's from same creator of The OC and I personally thought it was better.
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,147
    Forum Member
    the OC. It's pretty short. Always believed if it hadn't been for Mischa Barton who couldn't act it'd have lasted longer
    90210 is really not that good.
    IMO the best teen programme was One Tree Hill. Yes there's some terrible eps but on a whole it's good and I'm sure at it's premiere it was reviewed as basically the OC minus money
  • PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,419
    Forum Member
    A lot of people on here seem to hate on 90210, but i really love it! It is a typical generic teen drama but i think it has a strong cast and good storylines. I would recommend trying 90210, you'll get hooked after the first episode!
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    90210 I like it. :)
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenilou88 wrote: »
    I haven't watched it in years but I used to enjoy The OC (interesting characters, some comedy amongst all the drama) so I'd go for that. I could never get into 90210 - from what I watched it seemed like a bland, generic teen drama.
    The OC had a level of sarcasm and humour which is generally lacking from such shows.

It also seemed rather self-aware and the humour could at time be somewhat self-deprecating, similar in style to that found in Buffy (for example when Dracula came to Sunnydale and was living in a nearby huge castle like building and they comment "You think we would have noticed this before now").
    Having a spider man loving geek bag the best girl on the show doesn't hurt its appeal either. :D
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    The first two seasons of the OC were excellent (with season one being the best), the third not so much. In fact three was awful.

I think I heard that season 4 was better than three but as three had already driven me away I can't confirm.

The fourth was a real return to form, helped by
    Mischa Barton not stinking up the show with her lousy acting, and the wonderful Autumn Reeser being fantastic as Taylor Townsend.
  • sweetazkandisweetazkandi Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One tree hill
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OC is miles better than 90210 (although I still watch it), however best of all is the original Beverly Hills 90210! :D
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OC, season one for sure. Excellent show. Season two had its moments. Season three was poor. Season four was good...
    Although they ruined Summer that season and while Taylor was great and Kaitlin far preferable to Marissa, it did feel a bit like an all new show rather than a final season.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    gossip girl , one tree hill
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OC, Season 1 and 4 are awesome.

Season 2 is ok, Season 3 is lifted by the final episode bringing around what I think most viewers wanted from about 4 episodes into Season 2. Had the final event of season 3 been the final event of Season 2, I think we would have got a few more years out of the show.

Mischa Barton's character really ruined the show for me. Having season 4 without her was a blessing and the show ended (for me) on an almighty high.

90210 is good, but the main character Annie is much more irritating than Mischa Barton was. The bitchy character Naomi almost undoes Annie's awfulness, but it's a tough act and doesn't always succeed, leaving some episodes almost unwatchable.

EDIT: Good call above for Gossip Girl, Season 1 is basically a rehash of Season 1 of The OC, but in a different location, but season 2 and 3 (I'm only on season 4 now on netflix myself) are probably stronger than The OC's 2 and 3. Some great characters in there like Blair and Chuck, and the annoying ones (Dan) aren't as irritating as Marisa (The OC) and Annie (90210)
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    o.c its infinetly better tha 90210
    Forum Member
    Why don't you watch both the pilot episodes of each and see what one you get drawn to most?
  • daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan_ wrote: »
    Hey, looking to buy either of these on a boxset and was wondering which would be the better option, the OC or 90210 (the new one).

PS. if there are any shows similar to them you could recommend that would be great to :)

Neither. Do something more productive with your time.:D
  • EESuperFanEESuperFan Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the O.C :D
  • LMLM Posts: 63,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Dawson's creek is a must

There are six seasons. It's a really good show. The characters were fantastically written, plus it has Michelle Williams in it and she is fab.
  • WolfGirl2WolfGirl2 Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    The OC the first season was possibly one of the best first seasons of a show ever! The 2nd was pretty awesome. The 3rd was dire apart from the last ep. The 4th was kind of bizarre although there were some good additions the stories were not as strong and they ruined Summer. I agree with the person that mentioned the humour it was excellent mainly because of Seth Cohen who was such a good character. But I'd definately recommend the 1st season at least.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    90210 is pretty much enjoyable nonsense. However, if you are looking to continue watching after the boxsets it has a new season soon. Maybe dip into that first before making your choice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I've watched every episode of 90210 and only the first and second season of the OC.
    with 90210, the first two series are fantastic, well-written, characters well played, acting is pretty good, it's great. After that, as Listentome rightly said, it's enjoyable nonsense.
    I reckon the OC is darker, but I think I prefer the characters in 90210 :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd got for O.C .loved it when it was first on ,I wish I had netflix or something to watch it on ( I'm not paying for it because it is 99% rubbish on there ).

I do watched 90210 ,but is a just generic teen stuff . Annie is very annoying as mentioned .I mainly watch for scenes with Liam ,who is just gorgeous ..obviously in a very generic beefcake way ..but still bloody gorgeous!
  • dan_dan_ Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the help guys. My birthday's this week so am getting the OC boxset as a present :)

Considering Gossip Girl too as I've read alot of positive reviews on it. Not sure about 90210 now.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the help guys. My birthday's this week so am getting the OC boxset as a present :)

Considering Gossip Girl too as I've read alot of positive reviews on it. Not sure about 90210 now.

Gossip Girl is the best!!!!! You should 100% watch this.
  • dan_dan_ Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyyleer wrote: »
    Gossip Girl is the best!!!!! You should 100% watch this.

Ah really? Well I shall watch the OC and then after that either Gossip Girl or 90210!`Do you know if Gossip Girl is available to buy on boxset by the way?