American Psycho

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone explain the ending of [highlight]American Psycho[/highlight] know. Any conclusions?

Did he imagine he killed all those people? Or did he actually kill all those people but no-one took him seriously?

Comments

• logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would tell you but...i have to go and return some video tapes!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is left open to the viewers imagination, something I detest in movies.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeh it's open to speculation
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    The 'possibly it's fantasy' aspect is more subtle in the book, with the vicious murders much more tangibly presented.

You can understand the film-maker's decision to largely omit them with regards to the film they wanted to make. But by doing so some readers felt they'd - ahem - ripped the heart and soul out if it. As did the book's author.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

The book's better than the film... :p
  • HotasfireHotasfire Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    for those that think the movie is left open to speculation, well you clearly didn't understand the point of the movie or book.

Brett Easton Ellis said himself on 'Charlie Rose' that the point of the satire is that the the yuppies are so self absorbed/shallow/soulless they can't even tell that one of them is literally getting away with murder...The book/movie loses all meaning according to Ellis/Harron if Bateman just imagined it all.

Bateman has killed(hookers/homeless people/animals/Paul Allen) and there are hints throughout the movie that prove that(dry cleaners scene/lawyer confession/Paul's apartment)

But he is having delusions too...As the movie goes on he starts to become more and more unhinged and can't keep his mask, the last part of the movie is his complete 'psychological' breakdown where reality blurs with fantasy.

Harron even blames herself for not making the very end scene more clear, but all 3(harron/Ellis/Bale) discuss this on youtube, there are interviews you can watch, and the DVD commentary makes it very clear that it wasn't all in his head.

The more times you watch the movie the more you see the meaning to the things that have confused you as well as other little things standing out. It's a great black comedic satire and Absolutely hilarious.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read the book. The film is good, but the book is pretty offensively good.
  • Linda_AndersonLinda_Anderson Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Is this the movie with Christian Bale in it? If so it was terrible, I ended up fast forwarding it cause I got so bored.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Is this the movie with Christian Bale in it? If so it was terrible, I ended up fast forwarding it cause I got so bored.

yea. its him..seen this film years ago..maybe i need another rewatch if it comes on tv that is..i aint buying it
  • Linda_AndersonLinda_Anderson Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    yea. its him..seen this film years ago..maybe i need another rewatch if it comes on tv that is..i aint buying it

I kinda watched it once, that was enough for me ;)
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotasfire wrote: »
    for those that think the movie is left open to speculation, well you clearly didn't understand the point of the movie or book.
    For me this is clearest in the scene where he returns to a friend's flat where he'd committed murders, only to find it being redecorated and put on the market. He meets an estate agent who initially thinks he's a prospective tenant, but then she remembers it's not been advertised yet. Then he and she both know that he's the cause of all the blood stains she's had to get cleaned up. She just asks him to leave. The flat is worth a million dollars a year in rent, but no-one will want it if they learn about the murders. Best to say nothing.
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,308
    Forum Member
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

The book's better than the film... :p

I agree with that. Now try shock us with 50 Shades Grey lol
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The baby sitter at he beginning is very attractive.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    The baby sitter at he beginning is very attractive.

Lol, everyone but the tramp is pretty attractive tbf.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I did enjoy this film. Have not read the book but will do.