Windows 8 so dire that I'm selling my new PC!

I recently took delivery of a new Dell desktop with Windows 8 pre-installed. I can't get on with W8 at all - it seems very clumsy and counter-intuitive, designed primarily for touch screen tablets. Judging by what I've read here and elsewhere, I'm not the only one to be less than impressed. Hence I've put my new PC on eBay, and bought one with W7 on board. I suppose I could have sourced a W7 disk and reinstalled the operating system, but I'm not sure if this is straightforward so I decided to cut my losses and start afresh.
If any W8 fans are interested, you can find my eBay ad here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321058723722?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't you have just dressed it up like W7 with a skin?
  • GiovanGiovan Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recently took delivery of a new Dell desktop with Windows 8 pre-installed. I can't get on with W8 at all - it seems very clumsy and counter-intuitive, designed primarily for touch screen tablets. Judging by what I've read here and elsewhere, I'm not the only one to be less than impressed. Hence I've put my new PC on eBay, and bought one with W7 on board. I suppose I could have sourced a W7 disk and reinstalled the operating system, but I'm not sure if this is straightforward so I decided to cut my losses and start afresh.
    If any W8 fans are interested, you can find my eBay ad here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321058723722?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649.

You have sold your PC just to revert to windows 7?

You could just buy a retail windows 7 from ebay.

What did you pay for the Dell PC and what do you expect it to sell for?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will you take £4?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, seriously, take my advice....withdraw your computer from sale and buy this for £44.99:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-Windows-7-Professional-64bit-Full-Version-For-Any-PC-/261156432487?pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item3cce22ea67

Installation is simple and all the drivers are on the Dell site.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just install this http://www.classicshell.net/
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't believe Microsoft are getting away with Windows 8. Imagine the backlash if it were Apple.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows 8 is not difficult to understand. You don't even need to use the new Modern UI interface... Just click "Windows" key after log in and you need never look at it again.

Yes, there is no Start but you can download a patch.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My windows 8 behave like windows 7 because I got a start menu on it. Ok it looks a bit different because of no Aero, buti got used to that now.

i would not sell a computer because it had windows 8 on.
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »

I downloaded this after my first week of using Windows 8. It really helps. While Windows 8 is not difficult to use. I think the majority of windows customers want the start menu back.

Would not be surprised if it is back on the next windows release.

Applications like Classic shell and other similar windows 7 skins have been downloaded millions of times. Says it all really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    just buy windows 7 home premium lol not to hard to install an oprating system srt the computers bios to search the cd drive first insert cd and follow the prompts
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has got to be one of the most ridiculous reasons I've ever come across for selling a new PC, beggars belief:rolleyes:
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    Good way of drawing attention to an Ebay listing though! ;)

[/scepticism]
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Good way of drawing attention to an Ebay listing though! ;)

[/scepticism]

Normally I would agree but the listing is legit. I can't see why else he would sell it after 2 weeks.

He didn't make any secret of the fact he wanted one of us to potentially buy it.

The whole thing is mad though. It is a nice PC and he could just get a copy of windows 7.

Them new dell keyboards look nice. I am tempted myself.
  • anthpiefaceanthpieface Posts: 956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a free windows 8 upgrade when I brought a laptop from Comet, after two weeks I reinstalled windows 7. I think windows 8 is tailered for touch screen technolegy such as tablets.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    Giovan wrote: »
    Normally I would agree but the listing is legit. I can't see why else he would sell it after 2 weeks.

Didn't say it isn't but it really is hard to believe his reason for selling it when a google or two would have quickly provided a free and easy solution. *shakes head incredulously*.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a free windows 8 upgrade when I brought a laptop from Comet, after two weeks I reinstalled windows 7. I think windows 8 is tailered for touch screen technolegy such as tablets.

it is and I agree the metro/Modern UI is to be honest naff and I admit I did think like you and went back to windows 7, but I thought I would give windows 8 another go. Put a decent start menu on like startisback, ok you have to pay for that one, but there are others that are free like classic shell and windows 8 becomes like windows 7 but better.

My mouse goes to all the corners of the screen and no silly menu comes up. Apart from the fact there is no Aero, and you get the silly ribbon in file windows, you would never know it was windows 8
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, your going to lose over £150 on what you paid 2 weeks ago just because you don't like Windows 8. Why not just install Windows 7 as suggested.
  • the sandmanthe sandman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    This has got to be one of the most ridiculous reasons I've ever come across for selling a new PC, beggars belief:rolleyes:

I Agree.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP has apparently bought a Win7 system now so it's all too late to abort the Ebay sale.

I wouldn't have sold it, but I can install an OS blindfold while hopping on one leg. Not everyone is as calm about installing a new OS.

Although Win7 is very easy.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Can't believe Microsoft are getting away with Windows 8. Imagine the backlash if it were Apple.

If it were an iOS, two things would be true -

1. It would actually work.

2. Irrespective of what it did or didn't do, Apple fan boys would be telling the world how much better it was than Windows 8... and this time they'd be right. :(
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    I wouldn't have sold it, but I can install an OS blindfold while hopping on one leg.

Would love to see an AVI of this on UTube. :D
  • Freeview NoviceFreeview Novice Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Thanks for comments, all. I agree that selling the PC because I don't like Win 8 was a bit drastic. It was a knee-jerk reaction as I was getting so fed up with it! As Tassium says, not everybody is comfortable with installing a new OS. I can relate to that!
  • FraserGJFraserGJ Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to concur with the above - I would've just installed W7 on it - there might even have been downgrade rights included with the W8 pre-installed... obviously too late now.

I also don't see what the point is of installing a tool to turn W8 into W7 when you can just install W7 itself and get the full benefits.

I'm using W8 and it is hopeless for most of what I want to do with it - everything seems to be a workaround. I had to use another computer to work from home on Friday when I got snowed in - says it all really.

Such a waste of screen real estate too - got 1920x1080 display and 90% of the screen is completely white when in the Mail app for example...
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why sell a new computer. Just install Windows 7 on it and you had the drivers disc there already it would have only took a hour or so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I'm not a fan of touch-based interfaces on desktop computers either, but as mentioned earlier Classic Shell would have easily solved it. Easy tutorial and install help here. Looks like a pretty stellar piece of software. :)