Your life was one of glee
    And you made me so hap py
    Then dawn subsides to day
    So sad you've gone away.
    X

That's sweet.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    I'm shocked and was hoping it wasn't drugs, but I expected it to be. :( its a shock that he was using Heroin.
    This has really affected me, I'm not sure why. But this is the first real death of a celebrity who had a drug addiction that feels especially tragic to me. In a sense its changed how I view drug addiction.
    I mean when Amy Winehouse died (albeit not due to drugs) I wasn't as sad, just sad for her family. I always expected her to die quite young unfortunately.
    It appears Cory had tried so hard to fight it, was open about it and I just feel, as he is someone who has already been through addiction and recovered initially and then went on to have a successful career, supportive friends/family/girlfriend... Well I suppose it just made me feel that only a person with a drug addiction can understand why Cory would do that because it makes no sense to me having never taken drugs. His addiction must have had such a deep grip and perhaps one he had to fight every single day.

I don't see anything wrong in having compassion, feeling sad for Cory (and his loved ones) he died young, it was preventable and ultimately he lost a battle he apparently tried so hard to fight.
    While he took himself took the drugs and is responsible for that, it doesn't make the impact of his death any less on his friends and family.

The amount of tributes saying what a nice guy he was goes to show this man was far more than his drug addiction and it is a shame it has taken him.

Rest in peace, Cory.
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too, I cried today :cry:, its shocked me and unsettled me more than I thought it would.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    My mind boggles that he seemingly had friends in Canada who were the complete opposite though?

That's the thing isn't it, I suspect he had the money to buy the gear. The lad who died that I wrote about had lots of "friends" like that as well, they were with him when he OD-ed and they left him on the sofa to die.
    Simi89 wrote: »
    I'm shocked and was hoping it wasn't drugs, but I expected it to be. :( its a shock that he was using Heroin.
    This has really affected me, I'm not sure why. But this is the first real death of a celebrity who had a drug addiction that feels especially tragic to me. In a sense its changed how I view drug addiction.
    I mean when Amy Winehouse died (albeit not due to drugs) I wasn't as sad, just sad for her family. I always expected her to die quite young unfortunately.
    It appears Cory had tried so hard to fight it, was open about it and I just feel, as he is someone who has already been through addiction and recovered initially and then went on to have a successful career, supportive friends/family/girlfriend... Well I suppose it just made me feel that only a person with a drug addiction can understand why Cory would do that because it makes no sense to me having never taken drugs. His addiction must have had such a deep grip and perhaps one he had to fight every single day.

I don't see anything wrong in having compassion, feeling sad for Cory (and his loved ones) he died young, it was preventable and ultimately he lost a battle he apparently tried so hard to fight.
    While he took himself took the drugs and is responsible for that, it doesn't make the impact of his death any less on his friends and family.

The amount of tributes saying what a nice guy he was goes to show this man was far more than his drug addiction and it is a shame it has taken him.

Rest in peace, Cory.

Well said. Like you while I hoped it wouldn't be drugs, given his background it was always a likelihood. However, unlike you I did wonder if heroin would be the cause.
    Unlike cocaine, which plenty of people have gone on to recover from, the number of living heroin addicts is sadly so few.
  • lil_boolil_boo Posts: 1,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loveloveX wrote: »
    Me too, I cried today :cry:, its shocked me and unsettled me more than I thought it would.

I'm exactly the same, a celebrity death has never shocked me so much
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    Some of the friends Cory hung out with in Canada were probably the same kids he got high with as a teenager . Which is why Cory was close to them as it was people who understood him in his mind . The people who knew him before Glee !
    Forum Member
    lil_boo wrote: »
    I'm exactly the same, a celebrity death has never shocked me so much

Me too and the fact it was Heroin has blown me away , just because he looked so healthy and stable when he left rehab .
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    He never looked like he had a drug problem whereas Pete Doherty/Amy Winehouse did
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I'm always amazed at the reactions from some when someone does of a drug overdose. He was clearly a good guy, too many people have said so for it not to be true. But good people can get caught up in bad things and no matter how hard they try to get out of bad habits and change their ways, sometimes the help you get just isn't enough. Addiction is a disease. Addicts fight it every day. Sadly the addiction beat Cory.

I can only imagine what Lea, his friends and family are going through, the people who supported him and tried to help him. My mind boggles that he seemingly had friends in Canada who were the complete opposite though?

Agree with everything you say. I'd spent the last couple of days hoping against hope that the cause of death wouldn't be drugs, but even as a huge Gleek I had to be realistic - the fact heroin was involved has deeply shocked me though. In spite of the circumstances, I think we should remember him for the wonderful person those who knew him say he was, how gentle, kind, handsome and multi-talented he was.
    asyousay wrote: »
    Me too and the fact it was Heroin has blown me away , just because he looked so healthy and stable when he left rehab .

Thinking back to the previous seasons of Glee, I don't recall ever thinking he looked in any way unhealthy. Even when he spoke to the media about his issues and it was out in the open, I never thought he looked anything other than fit and strong. Such a shock, such a waste :(
  • Harry RedknappHarry Redknapp Posts: 4,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are people so cold? Addiction isn't something anyone chooses. Sure they shouldn't touch drugs but when they start out a lot of the addicts underestimate the stuff; they think that the drugged mess on the corner would never be them because they are in control and will never let it get that far. Sadly, too many are wrong.

Its a shame.
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    I hope the person that got him the heroin is feeling thoroughly ashamed right now, I know he was the one to do it but :(
  • puppylove7puppylove7 Posts: 66,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was upset to hear about the cause of death. Like many others on this forum, a celebrity death hasn't shook me as much as Cory's. I can't imagine how his family, Lea and his friends and colleagues must feel after that verdict and my thoughts are with them at this very sad time. :(:( I still can't believe he's gone!! :(:(
  • peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    There's only one person coming across as a knob and it isn't Cory Monteith.

Justin Bieber?
  • peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow self-righteous much?!

Not really. All the fawning over a guy who got to live a life most would give their right arm for, whilst people die and have to put up with no end of shit in their lives. He shouldn't have been messing with heroin, it only usually ends one way. He's taken his blessed life and thrown it all away. Chump.
  • waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people are missing the point that Heroin use and Alcohol addiction are an indicator of Mental health issues.

The guy clearly had had problems dating back many years before he was famous, I'd also doubt that suicide was his aim, more likely blocking a painful memory.

We will all encounter this kind of death within our own circle at some point. Mental illness is as valid as Cancer or any other ailment.

The lack of understanding on this thread says more about the poster's intelligence than about Cory Monteith
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peroquil wrote: »
    Not really. All the fawning over a guy who got to live a life most would give their right arm for, whilst people die and have to put up with no end of shit in their lives.

That's hardly Cory's fault :confused:

People "fawn" because in spite of his issues he was a talented, professional, well-loved guy who was trying to battle his addictions rather than wallow in them, and if they wish to pay tribute to him then they're well within their rights.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simi89 wrote: »

Rest in peace, Cory.

Great post, I feel the same. I feel a bit hypocritical because I didn't feel much sorrow when Amy Winehouse died as I was younger and just assumed it was her own fault for throwing her life away by drinking and taking drugs for so many years.

I don't know much about Cory but his death has really affected me. I think it's because I'm around the same age as Lea Michele, have built a life with a partner just like she did and can't imagine how she must be feeling at the moment. Plus reading all the lovely things people have to say about Cory and reading his old Tweets make it seem like such a waste of a life. Terrible.
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are people so cold? Addiction isn't something anyone chooses. Sure they shouldn't touch drugs but when they start out a lot of the addicts underestimate the stuff; they think that the drugged mess on the corner would never be them because they are in control and will never let it get that far. Sadly, too many are wrong.

Its a shame.

The moment people start taking drugs they are opening themselves up to the possibility of addiction. It is a choice, one that he made long ago.
  • DemonicrodentDemonicrodent Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heroin ? I've no sympathy. He had a fantastic life and thew it all away very selfish of him.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    That's the thing isn't it, I suspect he had the money to buy the gear. The lad who died that I wrote about had lots of "friends" like that as well, they were with him when he OD-ed and they left him on the sofa to die.

Good point, friends probably isn't the right word for them.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peroquil wrote: »
    Not really. All the fawning over a guy who got to live a life most would give their right arm for, whilst people die and have to put up with no end of shit in their lives. He shouldn't have been messing with heroin, it only usually ends one way. He's taken his blessed life and thrown it all away. Chump.

Well done for ignoring the rest of my post. Other people's problems are not Cory's problems, his life may have looked great to the outsider but no-one knows what was really going on, and unless you do, you can't judge.

It's all very well to say he 'shouldn't' have been doing drugs, but really, that's oversimplification to the point of missing the issue entirely. Addiction isn't a choice, and the fact that he had been in rehab recently indicates that he clearly did not want to be an addict. It's not just as simple as 'he used the drug', there's far more to it than that which you seem to be conveniently ignoring. And it doesn't change the fact that he was a young man, whose death is no less tragic for his family and friends than anyone else's.

It doesn't take much to show a bit of compassion - think about if it was someone in your family who'd died of addiction - would you like people going around calling them all the derogatory names you're calling him? I don't think so.
    Forum Member
    Well done for ignoring the rest of my post. Other people's problems are not Cory's problems, his life may have looked great to the outsider but no-one knows what was really going on, and unless you do, you can't judge.

It's all very well to say he 'shouldn't' have been doing drugs, but really, that's oversimplification to the point of missing the issue entirely. Addiction isn't a choice, and the fact that he had been in rehab recently indicates that he clearly did not want to be an addict. It's not just as simple as 'he used the drug', there's far more to it than that which you seem to be conveniently ignoring. And it doesn't change the fact that he was a young man, whose death is no less tragic for his family and friends than anyone else's.

It doesn't take much to show a bit of compassion - think about if it was someone in your family who'd died of addiction - would you like people going around calling them all the derogatory names you're calling him? I don't think so.

I have a alcoholic for a mum, she has now been sober for about 13 years. So stuff like this brings home to me how hard her struggle must of been .

So everybody has choices. Yes he went to rehab but clearly he was not ready to get clean or he would of stayed clean. We don't know if he was pushed to go by the people around him as they must of know as Heroin is such a hard drug.

We was probably fed a load of PR rubbish of how Cory was being brave and wanting to fight his demons and it was "his" choice and everybody was simply shocked when he announced it.

The fact of the matter is he was only in there a month, why when he was addicted to such a drug/alcohol was he in there for such a short amount of time?! - the detox alone would of taken days.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    nick202 wrote: »
    That's terrible - how absolutely tragic

Surely, tragic is someone who has a fatal disease that is no fault of their own, or who meets with a terrible accident. This bloke had global fame, lots of money, millions of fans and the majority of his life still ahead of him. And the best thing he could think to do was get drunk and take heroin.

Utterly pathetic.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    The moment people start taking drugs they are opening themselves up to the possibility of addiction. It is a choice, one that he made long ago.

Yes, when he was 13. People have absolutely no idea of the demons that he was dealing with. Having money, being famous, neither of those things mean you're going to be automatically happy and living a happy life.
    Surely, tragic is someone who has a fatal disease that is no fault of their own, or who meets with a terrible accident. This bloke had global fame, lots of money, millions of fans and the majority of his life still ahead of him. And the best thing he could think to do was get drunk and take heroin.

Utterly pathetic.

What's pathetic is your abject lack of understanding or compassion. Global fame, loads of money, millions of fans do not equal automatic happiness.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    Yes it was his choice to initially take drugs and yes he had put himself at risk of addiction. However he started abusing drugs at thee age of 13 and I personally think that is very young and a child-because that is what he was may not understand/underestimate the gravity of this decision they have made. He was especially young to have started drugs and I think it would be fair to say that if something started so long ago when you were still a child then it may be hard to loosen the grip of it. He had tried rehab clearly with varying degrees of success and in spite of his demons built a successful career and loving relationships not only with Lea but as a friend to many people.