Matt Smiths Most Emotional Scenes - Your Opinon

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
Forum Member
Hi

So, i was wondering as the matt smith era is nearly over, what is your most emotional scene with matt crying or upset in for doctor who.

Please specify the episode and roughly when in it :)

Comments

• November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    The speech towards the end of The Rings of Akhaten. I didn't think much of the episode itself but that particular scene was shear brilliance. Perhaps Smith's most powerful moment.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Him speaking to sleeping young Amy in The Big Bang, it gets me every time. If it was on youtube I'd link to it every time someone say Matt only "clowns around."
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Pandorica Opens speech, the ending to The Big Bang, the end speech of Rings of Akhaten are all real moments of quality emotion, along with the likes of Hide, and Vincent and the Doctor but for me, it's The Beast Below, when he gets angry upon realising the truth about the Star Whale and similarly, in the Doctor's Wife, when he realises what happened to the Time Lords. Any Doctor Who moment involving the Time War tends to be quality.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Akhaten speech IMO.
  • Dr2PatDr2Pat Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    Not really a crying or sad scene, but I found it a bit emotional.
    I would say Death of the Doctor when he and Jo are talking about her waiting to hear from him, but never did. Then he says he saw her, her grandchildren and ALL of his companions when 10 regenerated and that he was "so proud" of all of them.

I thought Matt was amazing there, along with Katy Manning.
    Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane was amazing as well by stepping away from them because she had had that reunion moment with 10 and knew that things had to be said between them without her there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to pick just one, but I never seem to be with these things, so here's a list:
    - the reaction to Father Octavian's death in Flesh and Stone
    - when he says goodbye to little Amy in The Big Bang
    - that scene towards the end of The Doctor's Wife as "Idris" is dying
    - when he talks toStormaggedon in Closing Time: "When I was little like you I dreamt of the stars"
    - Rings of Akhaten speech
    - that scene in The Name of the Doctor when he's crying, though I'm still not quite sure what he was actually crying about
    - and even though they're not actual episodes, special mention to his reaction to Amy's phone message in Let's Kill Hitler prequel and in Last Night when River tells him that he'll be the death of her
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    When he finds out that the Brig has died

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGjlk6ZH1Qc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The speech towards the end of The Rings of Akhaten. I didn't think much of the episode itself but that particular scene was shear brilliance. Perhaps Smith's most powerful moment.

I liked that speech, but in some ways in reminded me of the denouement of The Crow, when Brandon Lee gives all his pain and memories to the villain.

And by 'reminded' I mean it occured to me that the writer of that speech was also a fan of the movie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and my vote goes to his acknowledgement of the ghost of River Song in NotD.

Intimate, but huge at the same time.

And, let's not forget, we're all stories in the end.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Death of the Doctor or The Rings of Akhaten clenches it for me, with The Big Bang in third and The Doctor's Wife in fourth. And while not strictly emotional from his acting, the scene with him and River at the end of The Name of the Doctor to complete my top five.

Frustratingly, I felt his acting at the end of The Angels Take Manhattan could have been his best had the episode not been in such a rush to just move on. It was an interesting parallel between him and Tennant - I found the Tenth Doctor's most convincing emotional scene to be when he cried at the end of Doomsday. But while Tennant was afforded many minutes at the end of a two part story to show off his sad emotion skills, Smith was afforded about thirty seconds.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would go for the scene in The Big Bang with little Amy, for me it's one of the stand out scenes in the shows history, emotionally very powerful.

A more subtle moment I really liked was his reaction to The Brigs death in The Wedding of River Song.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    Oh, and my vote goes to his acknowledgement of the ghost of River Song in NotD.
    I like his scenes with River, especially the goodbye that never is a goodbye but just a temporary glitch.:D
  • mostimitatedmostimitated Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Agree with the speech to young Amy at the end of the Big Bang.

When he cries in the Name Of The Doctor and runs away to the TARDIS got me as well. Same as when he speaks to the ghost of River

Actually agree with most said. All of his stuff with Jo in Death of The Doctor is also excellent.

My personal favourite is his conversation with Amy on the rooftop in the Power of Three. 'I'm running to you, and Rory, before you fade from me.'
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'I'm running to you, and Rory, before you fade from me.'
    Maybe The Doctor forgets his companions and is only reminded by The Tardis when he needs to remember them.:cry:
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    A more subtle moment I really liked was his reaction to The Brigs death in The Wedding of River Song.

Which of course served as a double tribute... to The Brig and Nicholas Courtney
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When idris dies.
    When Amy is zapped back in time by an angel.
  • bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Death of the Doctor or The Rings of Akhaten clenches it for me, with The Big Bang in third and The Doctor's Wife in fourth. And while not strictly emotional from his acting, the scene with him and River at the end of The Name of the Doctor to complete my top five.

Frustratingly, I felt his acting at the end of The Angels Take Manhattan could have been his best had the episode not been in such a rush to just move on. It was an interesting parallel between him and Tennant - I found the Tenth Doctor's most convincing emotional scene to be when he cried at the end of Doomsday. But while Tennant was afforded many minutes at the end of a two part story to show off his sad emotion skills, Smith was afforded about thirty seconds.

And for me, that's why I found that farewell so much better played. Things happen so quick for the Doctor and just having uneccessary minutes of crying does nothing to it for me anyway....11 just captured it right in my mind.

Matt is great at the emotional stuff anyway, as many have said the Big Bang moment is so touching as well as the Akhaten speech and farewell to River in Name of the Doctor....there are just so many....
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    - that scene in The Name of the Doctor when he's crying, though I'm still not quite sure what he was actually crying about

Some seem to think he was crying because Clara talked about Trenzalore, where he will meet his death, but I think the mention of River, who he thought was lost to him, made him realise how much he missed her.

My favourite emotional bit currently is the farewell to River in TNotD.

(That's my favourite emotional bit by Matt, of course. Which is what the thread is about).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some seem to think he was crying because Clara talked about Trenzalore, where he will meet his death, but I think the mention of River, who he thought was lost to him, made him realise how much he missed her.

My favourite emotional bit currently is the farewell to River in TNotD.

(That's my favourite emotional bit by Matt, of course. Which is what the thread is about).

I think there can be at least three interpretations of that scene, asides from Trenzalore and his death and River, he could also have reminded about the whole John Hurt thing. Or it could have been a combination of all three.

That said, I kinda like that it was left to the viewers' interpretation and you can decide what you think it was about yourself.

Also, I agree with bbl22. I really don't think that having a longer crying scene necessarily makes it more emotional, personally I think that the more subtle scenes where the emotions are conveyed with as little as a single look can be much more powerful than having a full out long emotional scene. (For example just that single look when Donna's about to lose her memories from David had a much stronger emotional impact on me personally than the much longer crying scene in Doosmday).
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been a lot but i think Amy and Rorys deaths in TATM.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The end of The God Complex.
  • FacepalmerFacepalmer Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Not crying as such but the first time I was really impressed at his anger emotion was in A Good Man Goes to War.

Commander Strax: Colonel Manton, you will give the order for your men to withdraw.
    The Doctor: No. Colonel Manton, I want you to tell your men to run away.
    Colonel Manton: What?
    The Doctor: Those words. "Run away." I want you to be famous for those exact words. I want people to call you Colonel Runaway. I want children laughing outside your door, 'cause they've found the house of Colonel Runaway. And when people come to you and ask if trying to get to me through the people I LOVE is in any way a good idea, I want you to tell them your name. Look, I'm angry, that's new. I'm really not sure what's going to happen now...

The way Matt's face twitched through that scene was amazing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two moments in the God Complex; when he's breaking Amy's faith in him, and when he drops her off at home. Exceedingly well-done.

Also going to nominate the end of Angels Take Manhatten and that last, desperate, heart-breaking "Come along Pond!".
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I love this thread. So many great choices here but his speech to Amelia in The Big Bang is one of my favourites.
  • Dr2PatDr2Pat Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    I love this thread. So many great choices here.

I agree, and it's threads like this that prove that Matt is an amazing Doctor. We all know he's good with the funny and techno stuff, but when it comes to the emotional stuff, to me he really proves his worth both as the Doctor and as an Actor.

Steven Moffat said this about Matt's last episode:
    ‘It’s hard to let go – [I was] watching him on set… and he’s so heartbreakingly good.’
    ‘You get all excited about the new Doctor and then you go back and you see Matt on his first day back on set, and you think, “Oh my God, that’s what we’re losing”.

He is spot on in my opinion. As excited as I am about Peter Capaldi, I feel Matt is going to be a big loss to us.
    I still think he had one more series in him.