All Stars season general discussion

Comments

• *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow that was a surprise :eek: I thought Derek and Shawn had it in the bag! However, it's a pleasant one and pleased that Melissa and Tony won :) Tony's reaction was great - he was so overjoyed at winning his first trophy :D

Sorry I know she's got some admirers on this forum but I just couldn't take to Kelly and I'm glad she came third - I would have rather seen Apollo or Sabrina in the final!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Lili27 wrote: »

Best reaction ever!!:D Melissa's head shot right so fast when Tom said 'now they've got one too...' and the pros celebrating for Tony - brilliant!
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member

Amazing reactions! Are Max and Val the ones jumping up and down?
  • breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing reactions! Are Max and Val the ones jumping up and down?

Looked like that to me.

Devious Tom with his "And now they have won too (two?)".
    Also very pleased Melissa and Tony won. Of course Sabrina and Louis should have lifted the mirror ball trophy, but I am happy with the result. Melissa was a joy to watch.

The show was absolutely perfect. BBC please take note.

And of course all the best to Brooke. Hope to see her back next season in good health.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,123
    Forum Member
    For me I was not invested in who won this year. I would have liked for Apolo to have made it to the finals but it was not meant to be.

I am happy for the Melissa win and I would have been okay with a Kelly win also. I thought they were all very close in ability and effort.

I saw an interview with Derek, he had been honored by the Emmys for his bold and creative choreography. It is good for the network to have one of the pros honored for outstanding choreo. Then in another interview he said he is encouraged by the producers to be "himself" and be daring. Derek said that he choreographs to music, he hears the music and choreos to the music. He says he loves music and that is what drives his choreography. ABC producers like it and I believe they know it creates controversy and interest in the show. What's he gonna do, is he gonna break the rules, will it cost his celeb? It gets people talking. So on the one hand it is good for Derek because he gets the accolades but it makes fans angry because he is coloring outside the lines. Last night one of the choreographers on STYCD (Adam Shankman) said Derek was the best. But he is in the ballroom world where there are rules. Jason Gilkinson has made a name for himself by not following the rules. I think DWTS is not the place to do that. I think of Artem and how he took that risk with the AS with Kara which was a gorgeous dance that the public loved but incurred the wrath of Len and small segment of posters who were not happy about the rule breakage.

If both Shawn and Derek would have preferred to do the paso/tango which was pure dancing and showing Shawn's dancing ability especially dancing in hold and not her gymnastics who knows if it would have a different outcome.

I think Derek will go onto choreograph other things where it will work better for him.

I also read a few articles on Carrie Ann in which I did not know if they were gossip or not so I did not link but basically she is very upset with Len and Bruno because the producers instructed them to be tougher on the scoring and comments this year. She said that Bruno and Len were not upholding the deal and Carrie Ann is left to look like the bad judge.

It seems like there is a lot of stuff that goes on DWTS that is producer driven but it is made to look like the judges, pros and celebs are making the decisions.

By the way, I thought Tony raised his choreo game this year and he did great job with Melissa.

I'm with you Lili hoped Apolo or Kelly but not to be. Not fussed about Melissa or Shawn winning. Think feel a bit jaded about the show and the direction it is going.

Laughed at CA saying she is left as the bad judge, she rarely judges just gushes:rolleyes: Think all three of them are little more than window dressing now, they turn a blind eye to mistakes or bad posture or footwork and hand out high praise and marks too.

Think when I heard Melissa has 22 years dance experience, don't know if it is true? Put me off her, makes the show look less credible as celebs learning to dance and supposedly novices, we know there has always been ringers but that seems to be pushing it somewhat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the whole Tony has won and mel.. äähh melis.. ähhh some bint we don't care about Tony has won-Feeling about this winning-moment
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    *Jupiter* wrote: »
    I loved the whole Tony has won and mel.. äähh melis.. ähhh some bint we don't care about Tony has won-Feeling about this winning-moment

The judges were literally throwing tens at Mel even though she didn't deserve most of them. I do get the feeling that they her to win, perhaps because she hadn't won and Tony had never lifted the trophy before. Wasn't she the one who was booted off a reality show once? I suppose it's better than being on the show because your mum is famous.
  • DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disappointed with the final result. I thought Shawn and Derek deserved to have won, but the judges scores counting meant that they couldn't unless Melissa came stone dead last in the votes, which evidently didn't happen with Kelly finishing third :/ Shawn was the best dancer on the show, judges scores didn't reflect that :/
    Forum Member
    breppo wrote: »

And of course all the best to Brooke. Hope to see her back next season in good health.

I just co-sign this.

I doubt Melissa has 22 year dancing experience. This year I noticed loads of meanness and bitterness from some fans (soapfans can be quite horrible), so there might have been some "leaks" about stuff against other contestants.
  • fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damahepa wrote: »
    Disappointed with the final result. I thought Shawn and Derek deserved to have won, but the judges scores counting meant that they couldn't unless Melissa came stone dead last in the votes, which evidently didn't happen with Kelly finishing third :/ Shawn was the best dancer on the show, judges scores didn't reflect that :/

Shawn was only 0.57% behind Melissa after the judges marks. That doesn't seem insurmountable to me. That said, I'm sure the comments they give have a direct impact on the voting, too. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    You have to be fair, when the contestants break rules, the judges do have to take away from points. Derek knew this and he took calculated risks. Melissa danced really well, and maybe people just simply liked the less flashy dances, kind of back to the basics.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,123
    Forum Member
    I just co-sign this.

I doubt Melissa has 22 year dancing experience. This year I noticed loads of meanness and bitterness from some fans (soapfans can be quite horrible), so there might have been some "leaks" about stuff against other contestants.

An old interview about Melissa's dancing, Maks is outspoken about her dancing abilities but others being cagey. Tony got Maks back and said what about Mel B. Karina and Julianne said Melissa could replace a pro.

http://watch.accesshollywood.com/video/does-melissa-have-an-unfair-advantage-on-dancing/1311278965001
    Forum Member
    An old interview about Melissa's dancing, Maks is outspoken about her dancing abilities but others being cagey. Tony got Maks back and said what about Mel B. Karina and Julianne said Melissa could replace a pro.

http://watch.accesshollywood.com/video/does-melissa-have-an-unfair-advantage-on-dancing/1311278965001

I guess they pick one contestant with whom previous dance experience is seen as advantage, while keeping quiet about others. Also, this season ALL the contestants have danced before, so it really isn't an issue any more.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member

Melissa does have experience, but a lot of the other celebs on the show have also been trained. It has never been a level playing field. Shawn had a lot of advantages herself.

I found it funny that they said Melissa could replace one of the pros. I didn't think she was that good at all :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had a chance to read the transcript of what Henry Byalikov told Afterbuzz TV [about Shawn and Derek doing the Fusion Paso/Tango as their Favorite Dance]. He strongly implied they would be redoing the Paso/Tango and didn't deny it when the host said, "So we have an exclusive!"

But there is nothing in the transcript to suggest the producers requested the Quickstep instead. If there was a change, imo it was likely Derek's decision.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrilled to bits that Melissa and Tony won and got such pleasure at seeing their joy at winning - and everyone else's joy too. What a partnership. :cool:

In my heart I wanted Kelly and Val to win because there was something about her I like although I couldn't say what it is, but I knew they couldn't quite pull it off. :(

Must admit when Shawn and Derek danced last, I thought it was so they could win (:o paranoid I know :p). I felt sorry for Shawn because I do think Derek's decisions lost them the glitter ball. I can't stand it when a pro admits they deliberately broke the rules and with a dancer as talented as Shawn, it simply wasn't necessary. A dancer and choreographer of Derek's calibre could have produced amazing routines without breaking any rules that still pushed the envelope. I do hope this wasn't his farewell season.

I was really impressed at how hard the three finalists worked and in fact, almost all the celebs in this series were seriously hard workers.

All in all I thought the whole series was superb entertainment and the finale was brilliantly done.

A 10 from me for the All Stars Season of DWTS.
  • fabulistfabulist Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy for Melissa - she seems a lovely girl and danced beautifully. Disappointed by how Tony/other pros made the moment all about him and not her. In my eyes he didn't "deserve" anything. His dancing/choreography has consistently been dull as ditch water and he's always seemed to have a big chip on his shoulder.
    Forum Member
    fabulist wrote: »
    Happy for Melissa - she seems a lovely girl and danced beautifully. Disappointed by how Tony/other pros made the moment all about him and not her. In my eyes he didn't "deserve" anything. His dancing/choreography has consistently been dull as ditch water and he's always seemed to have a big chip on his shoulder.

I adored how Derek was there to pick up Melissa, and to party with her. That was really sweet of him.
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    Melissa Rycroft ‏@MelissaRycroft

Hehe @TonyDovolani!!! He tried his best :-) http://yfrog.com/b6dcbbvzanrgquckctakkvooz
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fabulist wrote: »

I think you and I watched a different show.
  • freckle59freckle59 Posts: 42,993
    Forum Member
    Managed to watch the final on Youtube - just. Blimey brilliant result - I was so sure Derek and Shawn were a shoe-in!

But what the hell was all that Dance Center about - so hope that doesn't translate to SCD!

Great series - fantastic dances, fantastic guest stars and fabulous host :)
  • DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    Shawn was only 0.57% behind Melissa after the judges marks. That doesn't seem insurmountable to me. That said, I'm sure the comments they give have a direct impact on the voting, too. :rolleyes:

Yes but, if DWTS is scored same way as SCD, Melissa ended up with 3 points from judges, Shawn with 1, so to catch up, Shawn needed 3 from the audience, which she may well have got, and Melissa 1, if she came second in the votes, again, highly probable (assuming Kelly came last to come 3rd) then there was no realistic way Shawn could have won as a result of the judge's scores! So, I repeat, highly disappointed :/
  • fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damahepa wrote: »
    Yes but, if DWTS is scored same way as SCD, Melissa ended up with 3 points from judges, Shawn with 1, so to catch up, Shawn needed 3 from the audience, which she may well have got, and Melissa 1, if she came second in the votes, again, highly probable (assuming Kelly came last to come 3rd) then there was no realistic way Shawn could have won as a result of the judge's scores! So, I repeat, highly disappointed :/

But it isn't scored the same way! It's taken on the percentage of judges points and the percentage of votes cast.
  • Lili27Lili27 Posts: 2,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But what the hell was all that Dance Center about - so hope that doesn't translate to SCD!

Feckle59

Dance Center is a comedy bit they do every every year usually on the 6th show but they saved it until the final this year. Kenny Mayne was a former contestant probably the worst dancer DWTS has had and so he comes back every year to critique the new cast. Of course he knows nothing about dance, his comments are absurd and he purposely argues with Len. They are making fun of just about everything on DWTS. Kenny is a sports caster and a has a show called Sports Center where he and his panel critique the sports plays and it is a serious show. But Dance Center is all tongue in cheek and satire.

I thought it was funny when Kenny was making fun of Mark admiring himself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Since the season has ended I'm just popping in to say thank you to all the kind posters who take time to post links and inside information to this thread so that we can follow DWTS. Look forward to 'seeing' you all again next Spring!

I see we're not the only ones following DWTS from the UK as apparently the SCD couples are doing dance fusion routines next Saturday. That'll be a choreo challenge for some of the pros! :eek: Oh...and Bruno fell off his chair...we've seen that before too (I'm sure it was completely accidental :rolleyes:)