Stephen Poliakoff's Dancing on the Edge

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is Jessie's murderer? What does anyone think?

That'll teach me to read a thread before i've watched the episode! :(;)
  • PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is Jessie's murderer? What does anyone think?

There is a "prime suyspect" (can't remember his name - maybe went to France on a train), but Louis is going to be framed. Hence the flash-forward of 7 weeks " we need to get you out of the country".
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think maybe something to do with Julian and John Goodman's character. But bit weird that they keep on showing those weird looking people outside the hospital maybe they have something to do with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok I might seem a bit dim but why did it say 72 hours earlier and the whole spanned over 2 weeks? It's a bit rough that the police are going to arrest Louis and cover up for Julian.

I don't like Pamela I think she is like Julian and has some really bad issues and possibly also doesn't love Stanley. I am glad Rosie got more than 2 lines and seems to like Eric.
  • spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And who is the weasly faced woman we caught a couple of glimpses of last night outside the hospital?
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    I love it and was kept awake thinking through the endings, I think Louis will be framed for Jessies murder by the aristocrats who stick together and give Julian an alibi, I didnt think that he had support either from the band manager who of course courts the rotter Julians sister.

Still waiting for Jane Asher to appear in role and I am also curious to who those strange people are who wait outside the hotel and are not with the press.

Brilliant, cant wait for the next episode.
  • Karen_Grant_WasKaren_Grant_Was Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    gilliedew wrote: »
    I love it and was kept awake thinking through the endings, I think Louis will be framed for Jessies murder by the aristocrats who stick together and give Julian an alibi, I didnt think that he had support either from the band manager who of course courts the rotter Julians sister.

Still waiting for Jane Asher to appear in role and I am also curious to who those strange people are who wait outside the hotel and are not with the press.

Brilliant, cant wait for the next episode.

jane asher was in it last night she is that pamela and julians mother she was sat at the dinner table on christmas day with pam and her dad but it was only brief
  • ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think maybe something to do with Julian and John Goodman's character. But bit weird that they keep on showing those weird looking people outside the hospital maybe they have something to do with it.

They are the '30's equivalent of DS posters.:D
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too think Jessie was murdered but I'm beginning to think Julian didn't do it, or Masterson either.

So who did??? Could it have been Carla so she would be the singer on a permanent basis??

Does the mysterious Hollywood producer exist??

I could not stop laughing at the scene where Anthony Head (can't remember the character's name) was at Jessie's bedside encouraging her to get better - all I could think of was him as Uther trying his level best to kill Gwen!! (Merlin)
  • PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    Love this series , excellent stuff indeed and a great story. Also love the people and especially Joanna Vanderham and isnt Jenna Louise Coleman who plays Rosie looking absolutely stonking hot indeed.

Well done BBC great programme, well worth the license fee although a big boooooo for closing the Archers Messageboard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too think Jessie was murdered but I'm beginning to think Julian didn't do it, or Masterson either.

So who did??? Could it have been Carla so she would be the singer on a permanent basis??

Does the mysterious Hollywood producer exist??

I could not stop laughing at the scene where Anthony Head (can't remember the character's name) was at Jessie's bedside encouraging her to get better - all I could think of was him as Uther trying his level best to kill Gwen!! (Merlin)

Yes lol that is true and I hadn't even thought of the Gwen/Uther link. Well Carla was at the party so it couldn't have been her. I do think Julian is too obvious now but I can't really think who had the opportunity to do it as all the main players were accounted for apart from Julian
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    And who is the weasly faced woman we caught a couple of glimpses of last night outside the hospital?
    The one that Killed Jess, maybe....;)
    But my money is still on Julian, but Louis could be the Patsy.
    The time line is getting closer too, with the injured hand stuff.

Janet Montgomery getting more stunning in every episode....and was that Bird, a bit BIG, for just two.:eek:

Plus Jane Asher made an appearance.:cool:
    Love this series , excellent stuff indeed and a great story. Also love the people and especially Joanna Vanderham and isnt Jenna Louise Coleman who plays Rosie looking absolutely stonking hot indeed.

Well done BBC great programme, well worth the license fee although a big boooooo for closing the Archers Messageboard.
    Someone at my local Chemist looks just like her: I have a Cold every week....:cool:

Ahhhh Choo!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Stansfield wrote: »
    The one that Killed Jess, maybe....;)

Janet Montgomery getting more stunning in every episode...[/B]

ahh that burning hot megababe .. what a woman.

I'm enjoying this series. It's typically odd and thoughtful in that Poliakoff way I like.
  • TiffanyThorneTiffanyThorne Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found it rather odd when Anthony Head's character came to visit Jessie in hospital and called her "bubala". So he'll be revealed to be Jewish? Or was it just meant to be a contrast with the Christmas concert and the Germans walking out? :confused:
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    ChrisE wrote: »
    They are the '30's equivalent of DS posters.:D

Hey !!! :D
  • ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Hey !!! :D

Present company accepted, of course.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was the point of the whole Louis playing the piano at the embassy as it didn't seem to do much and could have caused major issues?
  • SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alixfowler wrote: »
    What was the point of the whole Louis playing the piano at the embassy as it didn't seem to do much and could have caused major issues?
    It was to wind up the Germans - but remember that this was before the war, when people didn't realise just how disgusting the Germans really were and didn't really take them too seriously.
  • TiffanyThorneTiffanyThorne Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why Dancing on the Edge is receiving so many negative reviews and negative comments. I've just read a a review in Private Eye which was scathing, not only of the show itself but Poliakoff in general. I find the show a welcome change of pace. It's great to see a lush period drama which is character led and allows itself to develop slowly. The all accepting tone of the friends' gatherings in the third episode seemed too good to be true - but that made the shock of Jessie's death even greater. The prologue in each episode indicates the chumminess is all coming to an end soon. The music is fantastic. I bought the album: I've been playing it constantly. I hope we have more programmes like Dancing on the Edge- Well done Poliakoff and well done BBC2. And well done the Louis Lester Band.
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    Isnt it strange peoples perceptions of the same actress. I thought Joanna was not quite posh enough, so many of the upper class in those days had such awfully posh accents and Joannas(for me) is just that too modern. However, I loved her acting in her role in The Paradise.

I did see Jane Asher at the table in the last episode but am still waiting to see what part she is ging to play in the story, I am sure her accent will be spot on, after all she was so good in Brideshead Revisited.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I've just read a a review in Private Eye which was scathing. I hope we have more programmes like Dancing on the Edge- Well done Poliakoff and well done BBC2.

It's always the same with Poliakoff - some people love it and others people hate it.

Time Out, which prides itself on intellectually-minded reviewing of arthouse films and seeking them out, gave the first episodes a good review (upthread) and Private Eye not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why Dancing on the Edge is receiving so many negative reviews and negative comments. I've just read a a review in Private Eye which was scathing, not only of the show itself but Poliakoff in general. I find the show a welcome change of pace. It's great to see a lush period drama which is character led and allows itself to develop slowly. The all accepting tone of the friends' gatherings in the third episode seemed too good to be true - but that made the shock of Jessie's death even greater. The prologue in each episode indicates the chumminess is all coming to an end soon. The music is fantastic. I bought the album: I've been playing it constantly. I hope we have more programmes like Dancing on the Edge- Well done Poliakoff and well done BBC2. And well done the Louis Lester Band.

It's exactly the same situation with The Hour which (sadly had as it has been axed) had great acting, sets, characters, music and it felt like it was in the 60's. my mum says programmes get bad reviews because the reviewer doesn't necessarily get or want to get what the programme is about. I agree the fact that they were all together in episode 3 made Jessie's death more shocking but I think in Ep 2 when it suddenly appeared one of them wanted Jessie dead was worse.

Oh I get that they wanted to annoy the Germans but it was a little of the top of Uther to be going on about it being an amazing stroke of genius etc. I thought considering what happened at the end it seemed a little pointless
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I get that they wanted to annoy the Germans but it was a little of the top of Uther to be going on about it being an amazing stroke of genius etc. I thought considering what happened at the end it seemed a little pointless
    It was a plot construct - we had to have the bit where Stanley forgets Eric's request, to get him to take everyone back to the office. A little clunky perhaps, but it got everyone where Poliakoff wanted them, for the dénouement of the episode.

We're so used to TV drama being 'easy', that one forgets that Poliakoff makes you work for your entertainment - you're plunged straight into a maelstrom of action with a stack of characters you don't know, and initially you haven't got a clue what's golng on (with his work, I always feel a bit as if I'm gatecrashing a party). He makes you concentrate right from the start, so you can work out for yourself what's happening - I actually prefer that, to being 'spoon fed' with a plot (it tickles the grey cells a bit more!).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a plot construct - we had to have the bit where Stanley forgets Eric's request, to get him to take everyone back to the office. A little clunky perhaps, but it got everyone where Poliakoff wanted them, for the dénouement of the episode.

We're so used to TV drama being 'easy', that one forgets that Poliakoff makes you work for your entertainment - you're plunged straight into a maelstrom of action with a stack of characters you don't know, and initially you haven't got a clue what's golng on (with his work, I always feel a bit as if I'm gatecrashing a party). He makes you concentrate right from the start, so you can work out for yourself what's happening - I actually prefer that, to being 'spoon fed' with a plot (it tickles the grey cells a bit more!).

I found the show a little confusing at first but I like it now because it is so complicated and the fact you don't really know anyone's real motives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the show a little confusing at first but I like it now because it is so complicated and the fact you don't really know anyone's real motives.
    Ex-ACKerly! :D