MP3 Disk Driver query

kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
Forum Member
✭✭
You have all been so good helping me with my MP3 player, that I'm daring to ask another question.

I've only just had time to try and copy my cds on to the player, and it came up with the message:

1) Installing Disk Driver software (OK!)

2) Installation was not successful - MTP Device Failed.

I have tried the Sandisk website but couldn't get the answer, so please - lovely people - can you advise?

Many thanks

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you have to put it in MTP mode for it to be recognised.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/162/~/mtp-or-msc
  • LumstormLumstorm Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    I would put it into MSC mode and leave it there then just drag and drop your music over to it. There should be no need for any drivers it should just work as another drive.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many thanks. Something for me to work on.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    My Sandisk is always in MTP mode and just shows up as an external device - I always thought that certain features of the device wouldn't be available if you used it in MSC?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you have to put it in MTP mode for it to be recognised.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/162/~/mtp-or-msc

I put the player in MTP mode, but computer still wouldn't recognize it and install the driver software.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    I know I said not to in your previous thread, but did you update WMP?

It says here: http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Sansa-Clip/driver-not-installed-Sansa-clip/td-p/268173

That the MTP driver is part of WMP so looks like an update might help after all? (I'm on W7 and though I don't use it, WMP is still lurking in the background which is probably why I got away with it ...)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sancheeez wrote: »
    I know I said not to in your previous thread, but did you update WMP?

It says here: http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Sansa-Clip/driver-not-installed-Sansa-clip/td-p/268173

That the MTP driver is part of WMP so looks like an update might help after all? (I'm on W7 and though I don't use it, WMP is still lurking in the background which is probably why I got away with it ...)

MP3 instructions say to use WMP 10 or above. I've been trying to find out what version I have, but with no luck.

I haven't updated it, so perhaps I should. Do I just download from WMP site or should I delete current version first (whatever one it is?)

Thank you for link - seems I'm not the only one with this problem!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lumstorm wrote: »
    I would put it into MSC mode and leave it there then just drag and drop your music over to it. There should be no need for any drivers it should just work as another drive.

I have tried this. The computer recognized it and said it had installed software successfully. But when I dragged music over to it, it just stayed dead in the water. Little box at bottom of right hand box (the one with the music listed) said "start sync" but this wasn't highlighted and it wouldn't start.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    MP3 instructions say to use WMP 10 or above. I've been trying to find out what version I have, but with no luck.

I haven't updated it, so perhaps I should. Do I just download from WMP site or should I delete current version first (whatever one it is?)

Thank you for link - seems I'm not the only one with this problem!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-media-player

Latest version is 12
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lumstorm wrote: »

2nd reply :

Using the MSC mode you recommended. I found I could by-pass WMP by going into Music folders and clicking "Send To....." rather than Burn, and hey presto it worked!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the moment, I now have it working in MSC mode, but I'm going to download latest version of WMP, and then try MTP mode again if only not to let it get the better of me.

In the meantime, I'd like to say sincere THANK YOU to everyone who has helped me with this. I really do appreciate it.
  • LumstormLumstorm Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    If I remember right it doesn't like music put on both ways so you might see music disappear if it was put on SMC mode. I have two players one the Sansa Clip+ and a Cowon X7 I just leave both in SMC and copy music across to them. I find the idea of needing software just to copy music onto a player rather ridiculous. It shouldn't be that complicated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As it's working, then, maybe I'll just leave it as it is.