The Walking Dead S3 (US Pace)

Comments

• Bad Wolf 525Bad Wolf 525 Posts: 5,552
    Forum Member
    Claymore95 wrote: »
    I agree. I'm on an American non-TV forum, and only yesterday several commented that they never knew that Rick and the Governor were English.

I'm an American and even though I knew both of them were British before watching the show, I still think both of them are doing a fine job with an American southern accent. Had i not known they were British, I probably would have never guessed.

This weeks episode was a good one, I thought. Yes it was a little slow, but I think that's a good thing because we are going into the final episodes. I think it helps with the build up.

I wish Andrea had kept her mouth shut about Rick....what was she thinking?

I didn't mind the love scene with Maggie and Glen. I was happy that they finally made up. TBH I was a little nervous, it reminded me of a horror flick and I kept waiting to see one of them get their head blown off.....so happy that didn't happen :D

I did think Daryl was flirting with that other guy from Woodbury and I kept thinking, poor Carol, will she ever find love?

I really don't think Rick is going to hand over Michonne. No way!! I know he is thinking about it, but he knows it's not going to do him any good. I will be really upset if it turns out that he does hand her over. Unforgivable, even.

I'm very excited for next weeks episode!!
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    Many American TV producers have mentioned that the reason that they sometimes go to British actors for leading roles is because they're looking for someone that US audiences has never heard of or seen before who's also a "proven" actor with TV or film experience. Hiring high profile American actors for certain leading roles can actually distract some viewers into accepting the character. For instance, If they hired Robert Deniro for the role of Rick in "The Walking Dead", I'd be chuckling a bit because all I'm going to think is "that's friggin' Deniro in a zombie show!". It's a lot safer to go with unknowns with a good resume of TV roles under their belt..

Also, as already stated, British actors are cheap to hire - until the TV show that they're on becomes a massive hit. :)

Its also gr8 to see a Brit actor headind a US show who is playing a goodie, rather than the typical shifty-not to be trusted Brit enemy, as alot of US tv/movies do.;)
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Morrisey was on Wittertainment last week, and he said him and Lincoln stay in their Yank accents all through filming, even when talking about English things like frootball to each other.

Lauren Cohan (Maggie) confirmed this on Talking Dead. She has at times quite a weird trans-Atlantic accent too, IRL.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    Also, as already stated, British actors are cheap to hire - until the TV show that they're on becomes a massive hit. :)
    They also have a good reputation in Hollywood for being able to learn lines quickly and not bellyache about long hours, usually put down to the work many of them have done in the theatre and on soaps (Australian actors are also well-liked for similar reasons)...
  • mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Morrisey was on Wittertainment last week, and he said him and Lincoln stay in their Yank accents all through filming, even when talking about English things like frootball to each other.

Lauren Cohan (Maggie) confirmed this on Talking Dead. She has at times quite a weird trans-Atlantic accent too, IRL.

She was born in America, but raised in England and normally speaks with an English accent. See her appearances in season 3 (IIRC) of the show "Supernatural".
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    mindset wrote: »
    She was born in America, but raised in England and normally speaks with an English accent. See her appearances in season 3 (IIRC) of the show "Supernatural".

Her British accent in Supernatural was quite posh, if I recall. Not how she speaks on Talking Dead.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loracan wrote: »
    Glenn and Maggie - that was all a bit random. As if someone on production thought they ought to throw a 'steamy sex scene' in every 6 episodes or so.
    I was glad that those two got back together. Them being split up after the abduction wasn't pleasant to watch. Although one could say it led nowhere, it was arguably realistic to have some fall-out for what happened to Maggie. Real romances aren't always smooth. So for me the whole thing deepens the characters somewhat, and made them more human with flaws and strengths, which is important if we're to care about them.
    The zombie killing bit was a classic example of "filler" have people talking then suddenly go off and kill 6 zombies. At the time you're thinking cool but when the scene stops you cant help but think what the point in it all was.
    Mainly it was to show the two groups bonding. Before the zombie fight they were very hostile towards each other. Afterwards they got quite friendly. They could see that they weren't very different. I liked it; it's another example of the characters being shades of grey.

One of the big questions for me is what would happen if someone did kill the Governor. Presumably someone from Woodbury would take his place. Would that person continue the feud? I tend to think they'd have to, because there's no way they could trust Rick's group after all that's happened. But the bonding scene made it look like perhaps a peace was possible. That element of hope is crucial.

(Another reason for the zombie-killing is to try to provide some gore for the sake of viewers who aren't interested in character development and who hate all the talky scenes. Your reaction makes me think they can't win.)
    Mo@reality wrote: »
    But Andrea, what a ****ing bitch. I cannot believe she gave up all of Rick's information to the Governer. Telling him that he had a baby was bad enough, saying that the baby might have been Shane's was unforgiveable.
    On the one hand, I sort-of agree. On the other, it wasn't exactly tactical. If she wants to be useful in Woodbury, she has to be part of their inner circle, and that means she has to share something.
    Also the heads in jars, the attack on the prison and the zombie death matches weren't enough for her it was only when it was alluded that he may have sexually assaulted someone else that she decides to doubt him. Way to make it all about you Andrea.
    I disagree that that was when she decided to doubt him. She was obviously doubting him when she tried to murder him in his sleep. Or when she first went to the prison to get their story. To me the revelation about Maggie did not get a big reaction at all; it was just one more detail that she hadn't known (because no-one tells her anything; even Hershel's answer was elusive). She still went back to Woodbury with him. It changed nothing.

Getting kicked out of the summit meeting which she'd set up was a much bigger blow. She knows she's still not trusted. She's doing all she can to save everyone, but she doesn't have the knowledge or influence she needs.
    sootysoo wrote: »
    I thought the episode was a bit patchy, I admit it. It almost felt like we were missing a few vital bits leading up to Rick and the governor meeting up. There's no mobile phones for them to text each other meeting times, so how did it all come about? Did Andrea go back to the prison with another pet to arrange a meeting place?
    I guess so. It hardly matters, does it? For me, that bit of logistics is not vital at all. To show it would have been time-wasting filler when we can so easily imagine it. They were right to cut directly to the point where actual choices were being made.
    Why would they take Hershel? The man with a leg missing?
    He was the driver. Presumably they wanted to keep some of their force back at the prison, to protect the weaker members if it went wrong. Also, to bring Michonne or Merle would be foolish, and Maggie and Glenn were probably best kept away too. That didn't leave them many options.
    Daryl going was a bit weird too considering he had just been held captive by the governor yet he didn't seem all that bothered about the governor being inside with Rick.
    Darl's a realist (and a follower). Some of his conversation with Martinez showed that. He's content to let Rick make the leadership decisions.
    I feel like the writers are deliberately trying to provoke hatred in Andreas's character in teaming her up with the enemy this season.
    The plot needs someone in Woodbury and it kind-of has to be her. I do think the writers are using her as a dumping ground for choices that are necessary for the plot. They did the same with Lori in season 2; it was far worse then; I found it much hard to defend Lori.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn and Maggie don't do it for me. Daryl and Carol have much more love between them and we've never seen the money shot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mindset wrote: »
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Her British accent in Supernatural was quite posh, if I recall. Not how she speaks on Talking Dead.

It was more British, when she was talking on the Talking Dead in the earlier series. I think the fact she's consistently lived in USA since then, and acting in a US accent, it's deffo more yankified now.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrea was a human rights lawyer so maybe she still is in that mode trying to broker peace and seeing the best in people, albeit misguidedly.
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrea finally grew a pair. I think she's redeemed herself.

Glad to see Milton's growing some too.
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brill new episode! Really starting to heat up now to the finale.

Glad Andrea finally saw the light, even if it really didn't get her nowhere.

Can't see a happy ending for Milton in the upcoming last 2 episodes, but hope I'm wrong. He's really starting to grow on me.

Don't think it was Milton who torched the walker pits, it would be too easy for it to be him. I'm honestly thinking that Martinez was the one who did it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting at the end of the Talking Dead, they announced a "surprise cast member" will be on next week, does this mean someone dies.

I'd vote for Milton.
    Oh, and I think Laurie Holden spoilered that it was Milton who'd torched the Walkers, and was that sene one of the most harrowing they've had??
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it looks like they've added just enough take-over productioneers to turn this show into a pile of depravity peddling shit.

Long strung-out, floundering, typically pointless and lazy depravity peddling shit.

All we need now is a pedophile and a serial killer! :D

Yeeehawwwrrrr!

It's almost a science now, this taking anything and everything with a semblance of success and ruining it by "fixing" it up (lowering it right down into the gutter) for the Jerry Springer Generation.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great episode....the last few, taken together, have really cranked it up for the finale.

Andrea is back to her old taking no shit self and it looks like Tyreese and his sister have seen which way the wind is blowing, Milton's card is marked though so I don;t expect him to see series 4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting at the end of the Talking Dead, they announced a "surprise cast member" will be on next week, does this mean someone dies.

I'd vote for Milton.

I only watched the first half of Talking Dead - she mentioned some scenes that had been cut would have made more sense of some of her actions and that she thought Andrea had seen his true colours but thought she was more useful at Woodbury (something to that effect)
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First time ever I have fast forwarded through the any of the Walking Dead:o

I felt they missed 'tense' and went straight to dullsville with the Andrea/Governor stuff.

However, the rest of it was great. Tyresse & the others fleshing out, Milton growing a pair.

Hopefully this was just a blip and the last two episodes are brilliant:D

Like others, I'm trying to not get too attached to Milton :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Completely disagree. Do people have such short attention spans these days that they can't tell suspense from "dullsville"? If you're fast forwarding at this point, perhaps it's best if you just stop tuning in altogether.

The cat and mouse game between Andrea and the Gov' I thought was very intense. I didn't think the ending was going to be he one I had hoped for from this episode but it is the waking dead and any glimmer of hope is soon diminished.

Tyrese just needs to kill that annoying father and son duo and quickly. They are starting to grate on me and instead of more airtime, they need some one on one walker time. I hope Tyrese and Sasha make it to the next season as I feel like they have more to give to the story in general. I find their humanity quite touching at this point, given how twisted Rick has become. Maybe they can show him the way back to his former self?

Milton is my wild guess as the who the special surprise guest will be on next weeks Talking Dead. Unfortunately we all know what that means...

Merle seems to be emerging as the voice of reason (judging from a sneak peek) and hopefully Rick will start listening to him and not just fobbing him off as the crazy racist dude.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completely disagree. Do people have such short attention spans these days that they can't tell suspense from "dullsville"? If you're fast forwarding at this point, perhaps it's best if you just stop tuning in altogether.

The cat and mouse game between Andrea and the Gov' I thought was very intense. I didn't think the ending was going to be he one I had hoped for from this episode but it is the waking dead and any glimmer of hope is soon diminished.

Tyrese just needs to kill that annoying father and son duo and quickly. They are starting to grate on me and instead of more airtime, they need some one on one walker time. I hope Tyrese and Sasha make it to the next season as I feel like they have more to give to the story in general. I find their humanity quite touching at this point, given how twisted Rick has become. Maybe they can show him the way back to his former self?

Milton is my wild guess as the who the special surprise guest will be on next weeks Talking Dead. Unfortunately we all know what that means...

Merle seems to be emerging as the voice of reason (judging from a sneak peek) and hopefully Rick will start listening to him and not just fobbing him off as the crazy racist dude.
    I agree with everything here - I jumped out of my skin a couple of times during it, certainly did not expect him to catch her. Despite watching it on a tiny screen it's one I've enjoyed more than most in this series.

As for the father/son - I'd no idea they were related, now that we know more about them I can't help wondering what their fate is...mind you I'd half expected Martinez to be offed this week.
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aw, I hope it wasn't Milton who burned the walkers at the pits. Seems I'm the only one who thinks otherwise. :( I think it'd be a fantastic twist if it wasn't him, as they made it a bit too obvious that the Gov thought it was him.

What freaked me out the most was the fact that the Gov knew everywhere Andrea was.:eek: Does he have an Andrea radar or something? LOL:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How rude:mad:

I personally felt the pacing was wrong and I didn't feel any sense of jeopardy for either of them as I don't particularly 'like' either of them - though I enjoy their characters - and, more importantly, I couldn't see them getting killed here with two episodes to go & a big show down - so there was never any danger to create 'suspense'.

That doesn't mean I have a short attention span nor does it mean I can't tell suspense from dull. It means for me to feel suspense I need to be invested in the situation or the character AND I need a sense of danger.

I'm not rude to anyone who doesn't share my opinion & really don't see why you feel the need to be so unpleasant.
    Forum Member
    How rude:mad:

I personally felt the pacing was wrong and I didn't feel any sense of jeopardy for either of them as I don't particularly 'like' either of them - though I enjoy their characters - and, more importantly, I couldn't see them getting killed here with two episodes to go & a big show down - so there was never any danger to create 'suspense'.

That doesn't mean I have a short attention span nor does it mean I can't tell suspense from dull. It means for me to feel suspense I need to be invested in the situation or the character AND I need a sense of danger.

I'm not rude to anyone who doesn't share my opinion & really don't see why you feel the need to be so unpleasant.

I wasn't being rude, I was being honest about my opinion. I guess I get fed up of people who make snap judgments about the show without stopping to give it a second thought. If you fast forwarded through it, no wonder you didn't feel any suspense and instead thought it was dull. You've just fast forwarded through it! :confused:

Not being invested enough in characters integral to the show is perfectly valid. I hate a few of them too but I think it's important not to fast forward through things in order to get the whole picture. Next week you're in for a shock then as Andrea will be strapped to a torture chair and you won't know how she got there. :eek: Because you fast forwarded :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't being rude, I was being honest about my opinion. I guess I get fed up of people who make snap judgments about the show without stopping to give it a second thought. If you fast forwarded through it, no wonder you didn't feel any suspense and instead thought it was dull. You've just fast forwarded through it! :confused:

Not being invested enough in characters integral to the show is perfectly valid. I hate a few of them too but I think it's important not to fast forward through things in order to get the whole picture. Next week you're in for a shock then as Andrea will be strapped to a torture chair and you won't know how she got there. :eek: Because you fast forwarded :D

Telling people they have a short attention span, should give up a show they have enjoyed for three seasons and can't tell the difference between dull and suspense is rude.

I only fast forwarded a few minutes of where they were in the warehouse - not the entire episode. The running across the field dragged for me, then it was more of the same in the ware house so I skipped to the bit where the walkers are behind the door. I'm not sure why you seem to think I fast forwarded the whole thing - Perhaps your reading skills need some work :p

(There - that wasn't rude just being 'honest' about my opinion;) )
    Forum Member
    Telling people they have a short attention span, should give up a show they have enjoyed for three seasons and can't tell the difference between dull and suspense is rude.

I only fast forwarded a few minutes of where they were in the warehouse - not the entire episode. The running across the field dragged for me, then it was more of the same in the ware house so I skipped to the bit where the walkers are behind the door. I'm not sure why you seem to think I fast forwarded the whole thing - Perhaps your reading skills need some work :p

(There - that wasn't rude just being 'honest' about my opinion;) )

If I was being rude, you'd know it.

This appears to be an end pass in the conversation as you weren't clear form the beginning which bits you did and didn't fast forward, it led me to take a guess. Strange that. As I don't care either way it seems fruitless to speculate any further on why the show couldn't hold your attention for two minutes while the suspense was building up. Not to say that you have a small attention span because I've already said it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I was being rude, you'd know it.

This appears to be an end pass in the conversation as you weren't clear form the beginning which bits you did and didn't fast forward, it led me to take a guess. Strange that. As I don't care either way it seems fruitless to speculate any further on why the show couldn't hold your attention for two minutes while the suspense was building up. Not to say that you have a small attention span because I've already said it.

Lol - you are being rude and I do know it.

and what the heck is an 'end pass' - do you mean impasse? Maybe it isn't just your reading that needs help - I'm not being rude of course :D