Worst book?

Comments

• elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. I have been reading the book for 5 years and still not finished by the time I pick it up again I will have to start from the beginning.

Also any Salman Rushdie book, I studied him for my degree and boy were his books dire
  • hobbleithobbleit Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    Catcher in the Rye

Awful book.

[QUOTE=Hogzilla;51088552]I was about to post the same one. Awful, self indulgent, adolescent navel-gazing of the worst order. You can tell you're not meant to hate the hero. But he's an egotistical bore.

For bad writing, I enjoy cruising the self-publishing sites and sites like 'Authonomy'. As they're not professional writers, it seems churlish to name and shame. There are some stupendously bad novels, or extracts of novels, online.

ETA: I HATED 'The Road'. It's probably the grimmest book ever, and I've read and enjoyed some pretty 'dark' novels. I was begging him to kill his kid by about page 5. Also a bit purple prose for my taste.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Worst books I have ever read: it's a toss up between Catcher in the Rye, Twilight and The Handmaid's Tale
  • KimmlerKimmler Posts: 1,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Road is awful too, the story was abysmal and the style of writing was almost impenetrable.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hobbleit wrote: »
    Agreed.

Worst books I have ever read: it's a toss up between Catcher in the Rye, Twilight and The Handmaid's Tale

I liked all of those books :eek: The Handmaids Tale is actually one of my all time faves :o
    Kimmler wrote: »
    The Road is awful too, the story was abysmal and the style of writing was almost impenetrable.

I couldn't finish "The Road".

I did manage to finsih it but Ian McEwan's "Atonement" was a pile of cack!
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    the first harry potter was badly wrote as it kept repeating the same names and was very bad in grammar too

rose madder: 400 pages in and I was still waiting for something to happen
  • rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    Agree with a number of entries on here so far.

Worst ever: Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R Donaldosn

Just an utter snore fest.

In recent years: Iron Council by China Mieville

last book I had on a holiday a few years back so had to finish it or do nothing. I think I would have been better doing nothing. Gave up with Mieville after this, can't even remember why I did not like the books think the writing style just did not appeal to me, but did not enjoy any of them.
  • Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rwould wrote: »
    It's not helped by its protagonist being a leper who
    rapes a 16 year old girl in the first couple of chapters
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    rwould wrote: »
    Agree with a number of entries on here so far.

Just an utter snore fest.

In recent years: Iron Council by China Mieville

last book I had on a holiday a few years back so had to finish it or do nothing. I think I would have been better doing nothing. Gave up with Mieville after this, can't even remember why I did not like the books think the writing style just did not appeal to me, but did not enjoy any of them.

I love both novels/series tbh and the books can be hard but very worthwhile
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    out of the books so far, i enjoyed harry potter, atonement, the historian, time travellers wife, the road, catcher in the rye, the god of small things, i alo enjoyed ayn rands the fountainhead - twilight and the two other ian mcewan books are the only one on this list which i agree with
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Corsican by William Heffernan. Over 1000 pages of utter tripe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    elliecat wrote: »
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. I have been reading the book for 5 years and still not finished by the time I pick it up again I will have to start from the beginning.

I did read it all but it was a slog. I just skipped bits in the middle:o
    It looked good seemed to go on forever and was dull.

Another I didn't like was The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman. It wasn't very long but seemed never ending, the main character was completely uninteresting.
  • LisleLisle Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by G W Dahlquist.

It will teach me not to buy a book because I was attracted to the blue glassy jacket but at least it was a charity shop purchase.

I have started it three times. You can run your eye over maybe 5 or 6 pages at a time and immediately see that there is nothing relevant to the story and skip it.

I couldn't believe something to turgid got into print. It needs severely editing from 800 pages to about 300 as I think there is an intersting story buried in it somewhere if only it could be found.

The only book I have never finished.
  • Sinbazro_05Sinbazro_05 Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for Catch 22.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must admit 'The Handmaid's Tale' is one of my all time favourite books!

At uni, one of my friends had a thing about 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull'. My god, was that a pile of pap - sentimental, schmalzy, badly written - it ran the gamut of appallingness.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis is hard work. When the narrator goes on and on about why he likes certain music, it's like reading an overly long, substandard version of an NME article. And then the descriptions of violence are pretty sick. But you sort of carry on reading.

But the worst book I've read in recent years is one I've mentioned before, This United State by Colin Forbes where British agent Tweed and his small band of fellow agents are trying to stop a US annexation of Britain. Corny and dated even though it's a 90s novel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    The Shack. Utter rubbish!!
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved The Time Traveller's Wife and Catch 22.

I'm not surprised that people hated The Time Traveller's Wife though as it seems to be one of those books you love or hate.

But I am very surprised at Catch 22! An absolute classic.
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Lost Daughter by Diane Chamberlain. I can't understand why so many people rave about it. I hated the writing style and found the storyline totally unbelievable.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_C wrote: »
    The Lost Daughter by Diane Chamberlain. I can't understand why so many people rave about it. I hated the writing style and found the storyline totally unbelievable.

Ooh I loved it! :D

My vote goes to Sugar and Slate by Charlotte Williams :yawn:
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I was about to post the same one. Awful, self indulgent, adolescent navel-gazing of the worst order. You can tell you're not meant to hate the hero. But he's an egotistical bore.

ETA: I HATED 'The Road'. It's probably the grimmest book ever, and I've read and enjoyed some pretty 'dark' novels. I was begging him to kill his kid by about page 5. Also a bit purple prose for my taste.

The two novels I have hated the most have been The Road (omg I HATED it with a passion!) and Catcher in the Rye (I just wanted to slap the hero and tell him to stop being such a whining git). Both unbearably awful I thought.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once tried to read A Woman of Substance by Barbara Taylor Bradford. It was like wading through treacle.

I've got to confess that I loved Catch 22!! Horses for courses and all that, I guess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    Catcher in the Rye

Awful book.

I just assumed it was a book best appreciated by hormonal teenage boys. Holden Caulfied is a complete ****.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe we've got to page 2 without anyone mentioning Dan Brown. :D

I have to credit the man with making millions but the fact he did so writing unmitigated crap for people with the reading age of a 3 year old makes me sad.
  • CamisCamis Posts: 13,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Another I didn't like was The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman. It wasn't very long but seemed never ending, the main character was completely uninteresting.

Thought I recognised this title - according to my BookCrossing page I started this but gave up!

I have several of the books mentioned on my To Be Read pile...and have read and enjoyed many of the others :o (Handmaid's Tale, Atonement and Time Traveller's Wife to mention a few).

However I have to agree with On Chesil Beach - for such a short book it was very hard work. Didn't enjoy Catcher In The Rye either.

Difficult to say what is my worst book - I have read many I haven't enjoyed but I know others have enjoyed them, and they weren't necessarily bad books, just not to my tastes.
  • creamsodacreamsoda Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for American Psyco here. Also I do like Jilly Cooper occasionally, but started Appasionata and just got so bored. Love her one liners, but this just droned on without the comedy, got to about 3/4 in and couldnt go on any longer.

I didn't finish Labyrinth, wasn't keen on Rebecca. Also Revolutionary Road was dire.

I loved Time Travellers Wife though so that has a vote in favour from me.